U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 01:25 PM

760 posts, read 799,654 times

Advertisements

Transmission of Hansen's disease from armadillo to humans is very rare. They have been here in Louisiana for quite a while. By the way, they jump up in the air when startled - just about fender high. They make oppossums look smart.

From Cajun Cooking Recipes:

BAKED OR BARBECUED ARMADILLO RECIPE
2 lbs. armadillo meat
1 stick oleo or butter
Lemon juice
Dash onion salt
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Lemon pepper to taste

Season with salt, pepper, lemon pepper, lemon juice, and rub with butter. Wrap in foil and bake at 325 degrees F. for approximately 45 minutes. Remove foil, add more butter and brown. For barbecued armadillo, baste with barbecue sauce over grill after removing foil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 06:27 PM

451 posts, read 1,173,466 times
Wow countrySue, do you really eat armadillos?? Do they taste just like chicken??

What movie was it that a lady made an armadillo cake for the groom's cake? Inside was red velvet cake and outside was grayish-brown frosting...shaped like an armadillo..... Looked horrific when it was cut...lol.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:46 AM

3 posts, read 6,897 times
I noticed some on the side of 840 south bound a few weeks ago

Old 06-02-2011, 03:55 AM

38,691 posts, read 86,882,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn5 View Post
Apparently their cousins, the 'possums, taught them their road safety skills.
Armadillos come pre-selected by nature to become roadkill. They'd be better off if they took some tips from their possum cousins. Armadillos have a goofy habit of jumping straight up in the air as a vehicle approaches, thus assuring a direct hit even in many instances when the vehicle would have passed right over them.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:54 PM

760 posts, read 799,654 times
Default Armadillo as food

In Arkansas, they are called 'Hoover hogs'. Considered poor folk food. THEY DO NOT TASTE LIKE PORK, they taste like armadillos. I found that all wild critters have a stronger taste than domestic.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:01 PM

363 posts, read 510,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn5 View Post
Wow countrySue, do you really eat armadillos?? Do they taste just like chicken??

What movie was it that a lady made an armadillo cake for the groom's cake? Inside was red velvet cake and outside was grayish-brown frosting...shaped like an armadillo..... Looked horrific when it was cut...lol.
"Steel Magnolias".

Wheezie wacked off the tail and served it up to Julia Roberts' father at the wedding reception.

When living in Texas, I saw a lot of armadillo roadkill....never saw one standing upright on all fours. This might be interesting to see...if'n they ever get to this part of TN.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:59 PM

65 posts, read 298,466 times
If the armadillos and the fire ants have made it, the gopher turtles can't be far behind!!

Old 06-02-2011, 09:16 PM

231 posts, read 468,718 times
Default Armidillos are a coming

I live North of Pulaski. They've been here for a couple of Years-haven't been a problem so far though I have seen where they dug up several areas in the woods. They might be a bother to people with gardens.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowhorse53 View Post
If the armadillos and the fire ants have made it, the gopher turtles can't be far behind!!
Gopher turtles??!! Whaaaa??

Old 06-03-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liondandy View Post
"Steel Magnolias".

Wheezie wacked off the tail and served it up to Julia Roberts' father at the wedding reception.

When living in Texas, I saw a lot of armadillo roadkill....never saw one standing upright on all fours. This might be interesting to see...if'n they ever get to this part of TN.
That's it!! thanks, Liondandy. I knew it was a movie that i like a lot.

I've heard them referred to as 'possum on the half-shell' lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee