Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2010, 02:34 PM

271 posts, read 247,912 times

Advertisements

We currently live in upstate NY and we're planning to move to Eastern TN. We visited the Lenoir City, Sevier County area, Alcoa, Maryville. Next trip we will probably check out Johnson City. I would like to hear back from people who have moved from NY and share their experences. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 05:13 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,348,687 times
I'm from the Hudson Valley area in NY, presently live in Knoxville. I love Knoxville and Tennessee, it is home. It is refreshing to live in a live and let live kind of place, I don't miss the pretentiousness of NY at all.
Pam

Old 11-20-2010, 07:59 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,780,863 times
Like Pam, we moved from NY. We picked the Maryville area and have been happy so far. Success in making the move from NY/NJ/PA and CT seems to be a 50/50 thing. Some people fit in and make a great transition and others, not so much. It helps to have jobs and a plan for most. You are doing the right thing by looking around at all the communities in person. Spend time in each one looking at shopping, libraries and the general lay out and one or two places will start feeling more like home. Don't be surprised at how chatty people are. Friendliness, politeness and helpfulness was the first thing we noticed all over eastern TN once we started looking for our "home".

Old 11-24-2010, 10:37 AM

5 posts, read 14,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
Like Pam, we moved from NY. We picked the Maryville area and have been happy so far. Success in making the move from NY/NJ/PA and CT seems to be a 50/50 thing. Some people fit in and make a great transition and others, not so much. It helps to have jobs and a plan for most. You are doing the right thing by looking around at all the communities in person. Spend time in each one looking at shopping, libraries and the general lay out and one or two places will start feeling more like home. Don't be surprised at how chatty people are. Friendliness, politeness and helpfulness was the first thing we noticed all over eastern TN once we started looking for our "home".

yep, some are chatty in a sorta chatty nosey way as well ! sorta obligatorily and sometimes a bit bogus and transparent, thus a bit disingenuous in my opinion and in my own experience ! being polite sometimes is not the same thing as being genuine, and what I have found is that there still is a lot hidden, code language, even downright hate for certain groups but they don't dare want to be called out on it, and many will deny that it even exists ! it's a different people, different education, different social structure, different tolerance even on religion, different attitudes on race still---I agree, some make the transition well, some don't, but believe me, all the 'adaptation' is EXPECTED to come from you, because most of these people seem to resent any influx of outsiders.--this lis less true in larger metro areas with educated professionals in business and healthcare and educational settings, but once you get out in the fairly rural areas y ou might begin to hear banjos playing---really,, no bull

Old 11-24-2010, 12:03 PM

27 posts, read 59,186 times
Moved to Farragut 2 months ago and love it. People are friendly and respectful and from what Ive seen not at all transparent.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:53 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,855,538 times
planning the move from ct to possibly eastern TN (looks promising) in about a year...
so far ive found ive been talkign to 2 different types of people...
the people who i can hope are the majority, wonderfull warm welcomeing people happy to help, generally just flat out great people who truly love their state...

the other type are not so helpfull and just assume your planning on moving there to try to "change" their way of life, they are still great people who love their state, they just seem a little jaded when it comes to northeners...
and from some of the thigns ive read i do understand why they feel this way, so many people complain about how a new area is so different from "home" and that it sucks...
but my responce to those people is you moved for a reason, if you dont like the area you moved to the way it is...why move there?!

i want to move to tn because its different from ct, and i plan to embrace those differences whole heartedly (good and bad) and quite frankly, id love to hear banjos playing :P

Old 11-30-2010, 01:42 PM

74 posts, read 192,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westlnman View Post
yep, some are chatty in a sorta chatty nosey way as well ! sorta obligatorily and sometimes a bit bogus and transparent, thus a bit disingenuous in my opinion and in my own experience ! being polite sometimes is not the same thing as being genuine, and what I have found is that there still is a lot hidden, code language, even downright hate for certain groups but they don't dare want to be called out on it, and many will deny that it even exists ! it's a different people, different education, different social structure, different tolerance even on religion, different attitudes on race still---I agree, some make the transition well, some don't, but believe me, all the 'adaptation' is EXPECTED to come from you, because most of these people seem to resent any influx of outsiders.--this lis less true in larger metro areas with educated professionals in business and healthcare and educational settings, but once you get out in the fairly rural areas y ou might begin to hear banjos playing---really,, no bull
That is what I've been warned of also. That said, I've recently moved into an area called Franklin and it's very nice. My realtor was born and bred here in Brentwood and she has told me how some people feel a little less welcoming to outsiders. But I think that comes from the elders and very rural folk. If you move to a place like Nashville or one of it's suburbs (which are by the way - very nice) you'll have a much easier time transitioning.

Good luck!

Old 06-04-2011, 08:03 AM

3 posts, read 11,367 times
Default Transplants

Is their a particular area of Maryville where transplants live? We are planning a move and would like to be in an area with a good mix of people.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:31 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,488,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain grill View Post
Is their a particular area of Maryville where transplants live? We are planning a move and would like to be in an area with a good mix of people.
No. We all integration here. Seriously, there is no transplant area. People tend to land where they find the home and school district that works for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee