U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 11:51 AM

4,989 posts, read 4,487,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Okay. I'll bite. From where I am sitting right now it is 5 miles to Medina. Medina has seen VERY rapid growth in the past 3 years. Pretty much quadrupling its population. There are 2 main reasons for this. White flight from Memphis and parents who can afford to do so pulling thier children out of the Jackson Public Schools. Most of the new houses being built in Medina are in the $150K to $300K range. As Medina is in Gibson County, the schools are fantastic. And I hate to break the news to Brentwoodgirl,but if you take any country road, in any direction out of Medina you will find MANY farms and country estates worth millions of dollars. No. They arent on the market. Why? BECAUSE NOBODY WANTS TO LEAVE MEDINA!
My husband's family owns a mutli-million dollar farm in West TN, so I know there are some large expensive farms and estates in the area. It doesn't mean there will be a great resale for them. If there was a huge demand for $600K+ houses in that area, then there would be developers doing just that. As you said, the growing market is $150-$300K. If the OP is buying in that range, then Medina might be a good place to consider.

I'm glad you love where you live, but it doesn't make it the right place to invest for everyone.

And just to back my previous assertion that a $600K house would be hard to sell in Mendina, this is the only house above $400K currently on the market in Medina. It has been on the market almost 2 years, and not sold even with price reductions:
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/79...37673647_zpid/

Last edited by brentwoodgirl; 05-26-2011 at 12:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 09:40 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,075,513 times
Really, really research the school situation if you plan on having children. Smaller towns often don't live up to the standards of larger cities in Tennessee. Not always the case, as places like Memphis and some of Nashville proves out, but it is a consideration.

I'm from SwFlorida and found that a city such as Knoxville has more of the vibe of a large town, but with fabulous amenities and very good schools.

Finally, I would NOT suggest that you buy a house simply by an online research. In fact, as an ex-real estate agent I suggest that you rent first. Annie may or may have not lucked out. There is more to buying a home in another region of the country than just having the actual structure work out. There are weather and people considerations as well, for instance, among many, many other things. She will find out that part when she actually moves there.

Sorry, Annie. You know I adore ya but I don't think that's the best advice.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:43 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,242,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noetic View Post
First, allow me to thank you for reading this, and for any help you might offer. I'm sure this type of question is asked quite frequently. Also, please forgive the brown-nosing in the title.

So, allow me to begin with a bit of background. I currently live in muggy South Florida, I am 30 years of age, I run a business from home, and with a budget up to $600k-$700k I am looking to relocate to TN. The problem? After researching many different towns, I have yet to find that perfect place.

There is a catch, however. I need enough land on which to build a second (smaller) home, or guest house on the property, as my sister will be relocating with me for the time being. It will later be used as a guest house for friends and family, especially during the holidays. I have a large family and they are very important to me, so I would like my land to be able to accommodate as many of them as possible. I have figured that ideally I would need be between 5-10 acres, but maybe more.

So, with all that said, here are a list of things I am looking for:

1. Smaller town, but not too small. I know this is a bit subjective, so please forgive me. A quaint, delightful town is at the top of my list, but I feel as if this goes hand-in-hand with the requirement for acreage. I'm not looking to be completely remote and off-the-grid, so this town would ideally have at least a few conveniences such as a few restaurants, a bit of shopping, and perhaps a movie theater. I would definitely be willing to live in a larger town/city if I could still get the adequate amount of land without breaking the bank.

2. Close to a larger city. By close, I mean within an hour. Maybe somewhere outside of Memphis or Nashville?

3. Good school system. I do plan on having children in the near future, so this is quite important, whether there are good private or public schools.

4. Good amount of land.

5. Friendly population. I wouldn't want to be shunned for being an outsider

6. Nice area. I don't really want to be surrounded by snobs, but I'd also like to be somewhere that I don't have to worry about safety.

5. Possible horse-friendly area. This is not a major sticking point, but still figured I would mention it, as it would be nice.

I think that just about covers everything. Please allow me to thank you again for any help you might offer, as I would appreciate any direction you may be able to steer me in.

Thank you TN!
With the exception of number 2, being near Nashville or Memphis, there are several places that could work with your other wishes outside of Knoxville right now in Blount County. You wouldn't be alone, either. I know of two people who are in the process of creating family compounds, a main house and additional residences, plus a family farm. One has located in Louisville and the other in Friendsville. I've also gotten to know people who have done a similar moves in the past decades, one turning a hobby farm into a business.

You would be quite near Maryville for the shopping, movie theater (a big one is in process off being constructed now to replace a moderately sized existing one) and there are plenty of restaurants. It would be an easy drive to Knoxville for even more of the same. Schools in Blount County are well rated but not quite as good as the highly rated Maryville schools.

To make it easier to see the kinds of properties I did a quick check on the public MLS for the Knox area for just those locations, you could widen the search for more of Blount County and find even more. I'm hoping this link will work: Search Results

If the link does not work you can do your own search using the main link: Find Homes By Area and then searching by county and sub area, as well as your price range.

One note that I don't think was addressed that might be in your "needs" is internet access. If you are working from home and need high speed internet you may need to check where it is and isn't available as not all places have high speed access, especially as things get much more rural. I helped some friends look for a home with just that issue, they run a business that really needs the internet access as well as easy FedEx and UPS access.

You price would not put you out of the neighborhood price range in these areas, depending on what you eventually do with the property. There are horse pastures all over the county. I hope that gives you another place to do some searches and maybe find "home" while you are at it. Please do make some time to visit, if possible more than once, to see the place in different seasons and get a feel for the fit for you. Ask if you need anymore information by DM or here.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:54 PM

23,635 posts, read 21,973,649 times
Master link for all Chamber of Commerce with in the State of Tennessee.
Tennesse Chamber of Commerce, TN Directory of Chambers
I would high recommended setting up a bogus e-mail address. This way you get too choose who & whom you contact. Be specific on your request and ask questions. The Chambers will gladly send you free information for the asking.. you will also get tons of Realtors sending you stuff and all sorts of other stuff.
Ask for maps.. local for that region / county / town ~ city. and any special needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee