Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2007, 04:58 PM

665 posts, read 1,926,060 times

Advertisements

Okay, bear with the yankee,what the heck is in a hush puppie? and what are pork rinds? The latter dosent sound to appetizing. I am sure going to have to change my taste.But I will still refuse to eat frog legs yuk!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 05:16 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,211,854 times
Hush puppies are corn meal balls cooked in oil, often after fish is cooked in the same oil.

Pork rinds are fried pork skin (yes, you heard that right). Remember, no part of the pig is wasted but the oink! ;-)

Old 08-05-2007, 05:20 PM

421 posts, read 1,691,167 times
Yeah,you'd like frog legs too.People really do eat 'em down here,even served at a certain state park's all you can eat seafood bar on Friday nights.

Really does taste like chicken!

firepower

Old 08-05-2007, 05:23 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,211,854 times
The one thing my mother wouldn't cook . . . frog legs.

Old 08-05-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Hush puppies are corn meal balls cooked in oil, often after fish is cooked in the same oil.

Pork rinds are fried pork skin (yes, you heard that right). Remember, no part of the pig is wasted but the oink! ;-)
Ok, I saw green stuff in the hush puppies I saw was it spinach, possibly?
And eating pig skin uhmmm no thanks, oh no! Theres my yankee side, sorry,
I will try and be more liberal as far as stuff to eat

Old 08-05-2007, 05:38 PM

13,352 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyll View Post
Ok, I saw green stuff in the hush puppies I saw was it spinach, possibly?
And eating pig skin uhmmm no thanks, oh no! Theres my yankee side, sorry,
I will try and be more liberal as far as stuff to eat
That is almost definitely NOT spinach you see in hush puppies. It's probably a spice, most likely chopped green onion.

I love love love hushpuppies with honey. If you've never tried it, it probably sounds gross: corn meal and spices fried in oil with a fish after-taste, then dipped in honey. But it really is good! Any good catfish place will gladly give you some honey to go with your hushpuppies.

And rest assured, the best hushpuppies are fried in the same grease that was used to fry the fish. You can get bland hushpuppies fried in bland vegetable oil, but why bother?

As for frogs' legs, I hate to break it to you, but that's not Southern. Europeans (particularly the French) have been eating frogs' legs for 5,000 years. When they're cooked in a creamy garlic butter sauce the way they eat them in France, they're actually quite good.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
That is almost definitely NOT spinach you see in hush puppies. It's probably a spice, most likely chopped green onion.

I love love love hushpuppies with honey. If you've never tried it, it probably sounds gross: corn meal and spices fried in oil with a fish after-taste, then dipped in honey. But it really is good! Any good catfish place will gladly give you some honey to go with your hushpuppies.

And rest assured, the best hushpuppies are fried in the same grease that was used to fry the fish. You can get bland hushpuppies fried in bland vegetable oil, but why bother?

As for frogs' legs, I hate to break it to you, but that's not Southern. Europeans (particularly the French) have been eating frogs' legs for 5,000 years. When they're cooked in a creamy garlic butter sauce the way they eat them in France, they're actually quite good.
Thanks for ALL the info, I will try the hush puppies, as far as the pork rinds and frogs legs, I think I will pass
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee