U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 03:02 PM

24 posts, read 35,055 times

Advertisements

I'm coming up next week to the area to secure a house or apartment to rent around the Maryville area. I was reading up a little bit about Cleveland TN, and may stop and check that area out. I was reading that there are quite a few manufacturing plants around the Cleveland area. As I will be starting over again, job and everything which seems like a better fit for me?. I'm a outdoors person who enjoys hiking, fishing, biking and camping out on my days off. I'm 90 percent positive that Maryville is a good choice as I've been there and Knoxville is only a short distance away.

Last edited by Rasbell; 06-07-2011 at 03:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 04:23 PM

11,503 posts, read 31,412,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasbell View Post
I'm coming up next week to the area to secure a house or apartment to rent around the Maryville area. I was reading up a little bit about Cleveland TN, and may stop and check that area out. I was reading that there are quite a few manufacturing plants around the Cleveland area. As I will be starting over again, job and everything which seems like a better fit for me?. I'm a outdoors person who enjoys hiking, fishing, biking and camping out on my days off. I'm 90 percent positive that Maryville is a good choice as I've been there and Knoxville is only a short distance away.
Maryville and Cleveland are so similar it's almost spooky. They're about the same size, both close to the mountains, both about the same distance from larger cities (Knoxville and Chattanooga), both home to small, liberal arts colleges (Maryville College and Lee University), both have similar retail and restaurants.

If you don't have a job yet, you should probably make that your number one priority. The new Volkswagen plant has recently opened in Chattanooga just down the road from Cleveland, and Cleveland has had a few other recent manufacturing boosts. I believe Whirlpool has either just expanded or is in the process of expanding its large factory in Cleveland.

At any rate, if you like Maryville, you'll probably like Cleveland, and vice-versa. But seriously, you should go wherever you have a job.

Good luck!

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession

Old 06-07-2011, 07:14 PM

24 posts, read 35,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Maryville and Cleveland are so similar it's almost spooky. They're about the same size, both close to the mountains, both about the same distance from larger cities (Knoxville and Chattanooga), both home to small, liberal arts colleges (Maryville College and Lee University), both have similar retail and restaurants.

If you don't have a job yet, you should probably make that your number one priority. The new Volkswagen plant has recently opened in Chattanooga just down the road from Cleveland, and Cleveland has had a few other recent manufacturing boosts. I believe Whirlpool has either just expanded or is in the process of expanding its large factory in Cleveland.

At any rate, if you like Maryville, you'll probably like Cleveland, and vice-versa. But seriously, you should go wherever you have a job.

Good luck!
Thanks JMT, yeah both cites look very similar from what I've Read and heard. Maryville and Cleveland are my top choices because they are both close to the bigger city's for the job market and to the Outdoor activities. I've been looking to move out of Florida for years and the time has Finally come. I got laid off from work last month after 13 years with the city. My lease is also up at my apartment next month and the rent is going up. The cost of living is though the roof down here in south Florida. I"m in my early 30's and single with no kids and think this is my best time to make the move and start over. I know the Job market isn't good right now but I'm willing to do what ever it takes and I don't have to panic if I don't find a job right away as I'm financially secure for a while. I think I'm going to stick with my original plans of moving to the Knoxville/Maryville Area.

Last edited by Rasbell; 06-07-2011 at 07:25 PM..

Old 06-08-2011, 08:43 AM

462 posts, read 907,767 times
They are both a lot alike. I think maryville has a much nicer downtown with more renovated buildings, and things to do. Cleveland is probably a much cheaper place to live though. Cleveland is more working class while maryville is more middle class.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:09 PM

7 posts, read 15,513 times
glad i looked in on this post. trying to make this choice now. i kinda sway towards cleveland. being retired. i think cleveland i can get more bang for my buck. looks that way for real estate prices anyway.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:36 AM

108 posts, read 160,340 times
JMT gives some very good advice.

Locate a job first and
Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:54 AM

2,291 posts, read 4,680,603 times
My cousin lives in Cleveland Tn, he retired from M&M Mars candy company. They have a large plant there. From what he has told me, the company is mostly hiring part time, so they do not have to pay any benefits.

My deceased husband was raised in Maryville, so I am familar with that town as well.

To be honest, neither is a hip exciting young persons town (MOPO). When I go to either place, I am bored to tears, and I am old!

You will be in the heart of the bible belt, so if church is your thing, either town will work for you.

Have you checked out North Carolina, the Asheville area? Maggie Valley? Mountains abound, and a little more progressive.

Others have given you good advice, I'd secure a job first, the market is tough everywhere.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:15 AM

2,063 posts, read 6,152,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebudd77 View Post
glad i looked in on this post. trying to make this choice now. i kinda sway towards cleveland. being retired. i think cleveland i can get more bang for my buck. looks that way for real estate prices anyway.
If you haven't spent time in either place then the "bang for the buck" theory may end be a bit more costly when you move again or you could find yourself in a cheaper home with no place to go and no one to spend time with. There were lots of places we checked out, before we settled outside of Maryville, that looked much better on paper (or on line). They weren't once we actually spent time on the ground in them. Just like the advice for working people you need to have spent some time in and around the town, including checking into grocery and shopping options, library, doctors and hospitals and whatever it is that you will want to occupy your time with as a hobby. Cleveland could be perfect for you but I wouldn't count on it until you have been there. You'll find both places have welcoming polite people.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:19 AM

22,518 posts, read 45,637,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
If you haven't spent time in either place then the "bang for the buck" theory may end be a bit more costly when you move again or you could find yourself in a cheaper home with no place to go and no one to spend time with. There were lots of places we checked out, before we settled outside of Maryville, that looked much better on paper (or on line). They weren't once we actually spent time on the ground in them. Just like the advice for working people you need to have spent some time in and around the town, including checking into grocery and shopping options, library, doctors and hospitals and whatever it is that you will want to occupy your time with as a hobby. Cleveland could be perfect for you but I wouldn't count on it until you have been there. You'll find both places have welcoming polite people.
Very true. It's not a bad idea to rent, too. We did before we bought and it was in a different area. About 10 miles away, but hey, it makes a difference.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:56 AM

11,503 posts, read 31,412,724 times
I'm moving this to the main Tennessee forum so those in the Cleveland/Chattanooga area can see it and chime in.

Getting a job should be Priority Number One. However, if that weren't an issue, I would much prefer Maryville over Cleveland. Maryville just seems more, I don't know, prosperous. Cleveland has always struck me as being a little run down. There are some things I prefer about Cleveland, mainly its closer proximity to Atlanta. But for day-to-day things, Maryville seems to be cleaner, a bit more upscale, and not as rough around the edges.

One thing that might should be considered: Bradley County (Cleveland) is a hot bed of meth activity. There are 22 confirmed meth labs in Blount County (Maryville) compared to 330 in Bradley County (Cleveland).

Tennessee Meth Task Force: http://www.rid-meth.org/Default.aspx

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee