Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 12:48 AM

4 posts, read 15,315 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Wondering where to start and if you all can help. My husband and I are in our early 30's with two small children (3 & 1). Where do you think would be the perfect place to raise a family that loves the outdoors. We are looking to move to Tennessee and are looking for property in the 60+ acre range with a nice house and preferably a water source of some kind on the property and not to exceed $400,000. We would like to live near a decent sized town or city for livelihood necessity but not too near. If you all could suggest some trustworthy realtors that would be great too!
Thanks so much!
L. Michelle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 12:36 PM

24,772 posts, read 28,419,342 times
Familiarize your self with the 3 sections on Tennessee.. Once you found which section West ~ Middle ~ East. Then get too know the counties and what they have too offer. If you write the local Chamber of Commerce of that City ~ Town ~ County and be specific on what you want they will gladly send you free information. I would strongly suggest setting up a bogus e-mail address for correspondence.This way you have control on who & whom you contact..
This site has loads of information.. Home - TN.gov Once open check out the Tennessee Photo Album

Old 06-15-2011, 12:40 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,445,563 times
A lot of folks on this forum would (rightfully) point you to East TN for a better "outdoors" experience due to the terrain and plethora of state parks there. Coming from Middle TN, I can say we have our fair share of outdoorsy opportunities as well. For large acreage near (but not too near Nashville), check Robertson County, Dickson County, Cheatham County, and maybe Wilson County. If you're looking for better schools for the kids, you might be able to find something in Sumner County which has rural areas but is also a great school system. Williamson County has great schools but would likely be pretty hard to find 60+ acres for $400,000 although you might luck up.

Hope that helps.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:49 PM

13,337 posts, read 39,790,516 times
I'll also throw in the Cumberland Plateau as another possibility. It's a gorgeous region full of lakes and waterfalls, yet it's often overlooked because it's thoroughly rural. However, some parts of it are within fairly easy drives of Nashville or Knoxville, and the region's principal town, Cookeville, has a surprising amount of things to offer considering it's a town of only 30,000.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 06-15-2011, 11:21 PM

Thanks so much! These are some great starting points for me. Much appreciated!

Old 06-16-2011, 11:22 AM

24,772 posts, read 28,419,342 times
More information on Tennessee and what it has too offer if your a outdoors type person.
Tennessee Landforms

http://www.cumberlandtrail.org/ <<<<<< East TN

Old 06-22-2011, 10:06 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,380,268 times
If middle TN is your thing, check Van Buren county. Taxes are super low. You're not near any big cities, but town of big enough size to have shopping and doctors are fairly close. The school is SUPER low budget, but they make the most of every single cent and I've never seen any school district with an administration that honestly cares about those kids and their education as much as they do here. Four of my five kids have graduated from VBCHS and love it. Taxes are next to nothing. Mine just went up to like $309 or something? I've got a 5 bedroom, 2 story brick ranch house on over 7 acres. Not a mansion by any means, but after what we were paying in Florida for a tiny shoe box, it's a huge bonus. The vehicle registration is - $24 a year I think? Seriously, everything here is very cheap. The only down side to it is there is NO work. If you're needing to transfer or work outside the home it's just not going to be an option. But if you've got an internet based business of your own or are retired this is a fantastic area. We're moving but honestly don't want to. Just glad the kids got to spend time here and two have decided to stay. And for 400k you'll get a very good bit of land. Prices are still pretty cheap.

Sequatchie and White counties have some very nice, rural areas as well. Not sure about their schools or taxes.

Within a 20 mile radius of Spencer (county seat of Van Buren County, which is a VERY small county) homes with land. There were others, just under 60 acres. I did list one that has 50 acres. Didn't think until later to check for water.

Grundy Co 3/2 66 acres 219,900
1131 S 10th Ave Gruetli Laager TN - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #1160645 - Realtor.com®

Putnam Co 3/3 66 acres 284,900
1131 S 10th Ave Gruetli Laager TN - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #1160645 - Realtor.com®

Rhea Co 3/2 50 acres with stream 299,900
1157 Old Graysville Rd Dayton TN - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #163658 - Realtor.com®

Cumberland Co 4/2.5 69 acres w/pond 300,000
3715 Bud Tanner Rd Crossville TN - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #686535 - Realtor.com®

And if you're looking for land only and can build:

55.8 acres, Spencer / Van Buren County $64,170
6 Brockdell Rd Spencer TN - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #1153587 - Realtor.com®
*There are other listings there together. Looks like they broke up a farm into tracts. The others are listed at $71,576 for 62.24 acres and $73,864 for 64.23 acres and $84,916 for 73.84 acres and 92.26 acres for $106,099 and 108 acres for $108,370. There are actually a bunch of them on this road. It must have been a monster farm. Just found another 125 acres or so listed for about $1000/acre.

65 acres, Tracy City / Grundy County $85,000
Tripple Tracy City TN - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #1281659 - Realtor.com®
*This is another large farm that was broken up. Another is listed at $90k for 75 acres.

Oh, I like this one! Right on Hwy 111 which is one of my favorite areas!
74 acres, Spencer / Van Buren County $85,192
11 Old Highway 111 Spencer TN - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #1153589 - Realtor.com®

80.9 acres, McMinnville / Warren county, $90,000
Dry Creek Rd Mcminnville TN - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #1239028 - Realtor.com®

60 acres, Gruetli Laager / Grundy County, $99,000
10th Ave South Gruetli Laager TN - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #1198369 - Realtor.com®

77.36 acres, Coalmont / Grundy County, $100,000
B Mine Rd Coalmont TN - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #1154393 - Realtor.com®
Looks like this one has a pond of some kind

59.41 acres, Dunlap / Sequatchie County, $120,000
101 Savage Point Rd Dunlap TN - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #1162753 - Realtor.com®
Lots of really pretty stream and mountain photos on this one

71.44 acres, Pikeville / Bledsoe County (I almost bought a cabin there!) $124,000
Freeman Rd Pikeville TN - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #1147390 - Realtor.com®

Just realized I'm not even halfway through the listings. About 290 listings. Oh my.....

Try this too. This site is great if you're looking for larger tracts of land. I've seen a lot of listings on here that I've not found on RDC. There are 13 listings now between 100k - 300k over 50 acres.

Tennessee Land for Sale :: Rural Property Finder

Old 06-22-2011, 10:31 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,380,268 times
Never get me started looking at real estate folks. I could do this for hours. I never get tired of it!!!

I thought this might work for ya. 173+ acres, stream, many outbuildings, a very old farmhouse that needs a lot of work, but for the price you could still build a home on it. It's in Whitleyville in the very northern part of central TN. We looked at land up there near Moss and Red Boiling Springs and loved it. Very nice area. Of course if he dam blows you drown and die, but.............. Build on high ground. LOL $251,459
West Cubb Road (173.42 ac) in Whitleyville, TN :: Rural Property Finder (http://www.ruralpropertyfinder.com/5365/ - broken link)

Or this in Celina, which is the same area. Another older farmhouse but looks like it's been well cared for. 126 acres. Barns and 15 acres creek bottom where the creek runs through the property. $299,900
#131660 - 3400 Dry Creek Rd in Celina, TN :: Rural Property Finder

Huron, TN in Henderson County. I don't know where this is. 105 acres, land only. Land is on the river. Has new fence and is a working farm. $152,500
Cattle Farm / Hunting Property For Sale in Huron, TN :: Rural Property Finder

*jaw drop* I have a thing for caves......
116 acres in Gainesboro, Jackson County. Land only. $249,900
The listing: Approx 116.60 surveyed ac located on in a private – rural – country location. Awesome creek with a spring feeding into it. Approx 35 ac of open – clear – pasture fields and the remaining in a mixture of wooded terrain. Large cave that has had reporting’s of historical Indian replicas. No restrictions. Mtn views from the top and views from the bottom. ATV trails / horse trails throughout the property from the beginning to the end and to the top to the bottom. An abundance of wildlife with great hunting. Approx 1000+ feet of road frontage with a paved county road access.
Gaw Branch Road (116.6 ac) in Gainesboro, TN :: Rural Property Finder (http://www.ruralpropertyfinder.com/5074/ - broken link)
*sigh* I want that one!! LOL

149 acres in Rock Island - my neighbor! - Warren County $224,370
This one has two caves!! Read this:
Approx 149.58 ac on TURKEY SCRATCH POINT. Lovely totally wooded property with beautiful rock formations at the bottom and once on the top of the ridge awesome mountain & valley views. The ridge has approx 25 to 35 ac of level to build a home or homes. Electric (3 phase avail), telephone and city water available (water line is run up to the beginning of the property (but no tap has been installed). No restrictions. The sellers own 50% of the mineral rights and those will transfer to the buyer at closing. Some fencing. 2 caves on the property / 1 cave is approx 500 ft wide with large tunnels to other rooms). Private and secluded at the end of a dead end road. Trails through out the property for horse back riding or ATV’s. Lovely property to build your dream home and great hunting. Farm is under a Greenbelt exemption / deduction.
Wahhhhh!!!!!
Lockey Lane (149.58 ac) in Rock Island, TN :: Rural Property Finder

.....deep breath......

Ok, 141 acres, Cookeville in says Jackson County but I think C'ville is Putnam county.....
Anyway, $289,900 land only and has multiple water sources including river frontage.
Seven Knobs Road (141.08 ac) in Cookeville, TN :: Rural Property Finder

73.47 acres in Whitleyville again, $106,900 land only. Multiple water sources including river frontage. Several barns and outbuildings as well as an old homesite and old barn on the property.
West Cubb Road (73.47 ac) in Whitleyville, TN :: Rural Property Finder

99.95 acres across the street from property listed above. $144,990. Again, multiple water sources and several outbuildings and barns on the property. This one also has an old farmhouse on it that's no longer liveable.
West Cubb Road (99.95 ac) in Whitleyville, TN :: Rural Property Finder

Old 06-29-2011, 11:45 PM

Wow! mrs1885, you truly went above and beyond! Thank you so much for your input and information!

Old 09-21-2011, 10:45 PM

Just to update, after much research, consideration, and two weekend trips to explore Tennessee, we narrowed our final destination to the area in between Nashville, Cookeville, and Murfreesboro and just outside these cities. We put an offer on a 100 acre property with an adorable brick house in Readyville that was accepted today so we are definitely Tennessee bound now! So excited and can't wait to move! Yay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee