Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 05:37 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times

Advertisements

She was not kidding. She posted this rumor in the Florida forum a couple of days ago, wanting to know if it was true. When she first bought the property she asked if this was true. We told her then that it was not.

Coming to Tennessee and looking for Florida? Well, that is so wrong on so many levels. Ask those guys in the back country of Cocke County how they feel about Walt Disney or Floridans moving into the place they were born and raised. I bet they can quash the rumors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 05:41 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
Default Dolly Parton/ Dollywood

I have the utmost respect for Dolly Parton. Not only because I grew up hearing her music from Mom's radio in the kitchen that was always on, but because she has class! Well, my first "dirty movie" that I was allowed to watch was The Best Little ***** House in TX and that was back in the day where you had to rent the VCR when you rented the tapes....did I just date myself?? LOL! Dolly has also been married to the same man for YEARS! Carl Dean.(I believe they were married in 68' about 3 years after she was out of high school!) You never see a bad thing written about either of them in any publication, no one can find a bad thing to say about her. She ALWAYS gives back. She is a huge supporter of the Smokies. She gives huge amounts of money to the schools. If I understood correctly, she funds the entire music program in all Sevier County Schools, right down to the band uniforms let alone the instruments. She has started and funds the Imagination Library, it makes sure EVERY child in the state of TN gets a book a month ( I think it is a month) until they start school so they are prepared.
As for Dollywood, she bought that from the failing Silver Dollar City to insure Pigeon Forge's economy and attractions would grow verses fail so her fellow neighbors would always have jobs available.
I personally believe that the day Dollywood gets put into others hands to run, is the day both her and Carl are 6 feet under cause it wouldn't happen in her or his life time. She is a huge supporter of our troops, no matter where they are. She personally funds the Eagle preserve at Dollywood which gives hurt eagles a place to live out their lives in safety and educates the public on them.
She is personally one of my favorite people.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:45 PM

63 posts, read 209,827 times
I dunno how anyone could say a single bad thing about Dolly. She was one of the best people to ever come from these hills, one of the better things about it is- she hasn't forgotten those hills or the people in them either...

Most celebrities let the fame go to their head and forget all the people who helped them get there- not Dolly..

Not to mention, Dollywood is a SERIOUS player in the theme park industry these days! Their wooden coaster, Thunderhead, was rated the Best Wooden Coaster on Earth, two years running; their new coaster, Mystery Mine, was named the Best New Attraction at any theme park on Earth this year as well! They are booming and will continue to do so!

Old 08-07-2007, 05:51 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
She was not kidding. She posted this rumor in the Florida forum a couple of days ago, wanting to know if it was true. When she first bought the property she asked if this was true. We told her then that it was not.

Coming to Tennessee and looking for Florida? Well, that is so wrong on so many levels. Ask those guys in the back country of Cocke County how they feel about Walt Disney or Floridans moving into the place they were born and raised. I bet they can quash the rumors.
OK,please be nice, she is only looking for solid info, that is what these forums are for, help with the info or leading folks at least in the right direction to find the info.
As for those "back country" folks in Cocke County, according to what one of the folks I talked to today in the city offices said they thought some locals were purposely spreading the rumors to jack up the prices of land so they could make a lot of money on unusable to the the locals land.
The lady at the Mayors office said she has received many phone calls from folks in FL who wanted to know if it was true (the Disney thing) and that if it was, they weren't moving because they wanted to leave that behind.
I find the majority of people that move to East TN want to embrace life here, not bring where they are coming from with them. But then again, I don't live in Knoxville, Nashville or Chatt, where that kind of attitude("Lets move here and change it to the way we want it") seems to be more prevalent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntornadox View Post
Not to mention, Dollywood is a SERIOUS player in the theme park industry these days! Their wooden coaster, Thunderhead, was rated the Best Wooden Coaster on Earth, two years running; their new coaster, Mystery Mine, was named the Best New Attraction at any theme park on Earth this year as well! They are booming and will continue to do so!
I LOVE the Thunderhead! I think that is the BEST ride I have ever been on! As for the Mystery Mine, I can't stand it! It is awful, goes way to slow, gives you to much time to think and I for one will not get back on it hahahahaha.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:54 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
mbmouse, Hear Hear! Dolly Parton is an amazing woman. She also recently pledged money and support to the local hospital. Dolly Parton announces major gift and benefit concert for Fort Sanders Sevier Medical Center

I work with the spouse of a Dollywood Vice President. I have never heard mention of a sale. I will ask though and find out the truth on the ownership. I will say that a lot of people think that the Dixie Stampede is Dolly Parton owned. However, it is not. Dolly only serves as the "face" of the Dixie Stampede.

Dolly and her park have been a wonderful asset to the area. We are blessed to have them both in our midst.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:34 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,099,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post

My gosh where did that hit come from. We weren't even talking about the Disney thing we were talking about Six Flags taking over Dollywood. Get your facts straight before you attack me. I said i was kidding when i blamed him for starting the whole conversation about Six Flags.

I don't know. Sometimes your sweet as can be towards me and other times i feel like i get a slap in the face. and where the heck did i say i want to move to TN only for FL to follow me? After i just typed you up some good advice on another post for you, i find this attack on me. Wow.. I ought to just go delete that advice but since it obviously informed someone else, i think i'll leave it for those who care and appreciate it.

Last edited by daniellefort; 08-07-2007 at 07:34 PM..

Old 08-07-2007, 09:27 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,378,901 times
Default Dolly Parton Book

Here's another rumor. Have you heard about the new Dolly Parton book that's coming out. It deals mainly with her business successes. The publishers want it to have a dignified Dickensian title, so it will be entitled, "A Sale Of Two T------."

Old 08-07-2007, 09:29 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,980,844 times
Well, they want to put up a story-themed Bible Park in Murfreesboro. The residents are trying their best to keep it from happening.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:53 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,378,901 times
Default Dolly

Dolly is an East Tennessee treasure. She worked extremely hard to develop her talents, the greatest being songwriting, in my opinion. I remember seeing her on the early morning Cas Walker show on Channel 10 in Knoxville. Her folks would drive her to the studio before daylight five mornings a week where she would sing on the program and then go back home to get ready for school. Nowadays, she and her husband enjoy traveling incognito in an RV, mixing and mingling with people they meet at campgrounds.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:11 PM

74 posts, read 220,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
I have the utmost respect for Dolly Parton. Not only because I grew up hearing her music from Mom's radio in the kitchen that was always on, but because she has class! Well, my first "dirty movie" that I was allowed to watch was The Best Little ***** House in TX and that was back in the day where you had to rent the VCR when you rented the tapes....did I just date myself?? LOL! Dolly has also been married to the same man for YEARS! Carl Dean.(I believe they were married in 68' about 3 years after she was out of high school!) You never see a bad thing written about either of them in any publication, no one can find a bad thing to say about her. She ALWAYS gives back. She is a huge supporter of the Smokies. She gives huge amounts of money to the schools. If I understood correctly, she funds the entire music program in all Sevier County Schools, right down to the band uniforms let alone the instruments. She has started and funds the Imagination Library, it makes sure EVERY child in the state of TN gets a book a month ( I think it is a month) until they start school so they are prepared.
As for Dollywood, she bought that from the failing Silver Dollar City to insure Pigeon Forge's economy and attractions would grow verses fail so her fellow neighbors would always have jobs available.
I personally believe that the day Dollywood gets put into others hands to run, is the day both her and Carl are 6 feet under cause it wouldn't happen in her or his life time. She is a huge supporter of our troops, no matter where they are. She personally funds the Eagle preserve at Dollywood which gives hurt eagles a place to live out their lives in safety and educates the public on them.
She is personally one of my favorite people.
omg I can not believe you brought up that movie, IT IS BT FAR MY FAV, I have a copy of the original, and by the way, all but 3 of Elvis's movies as well, and all were taped from rental vcr's ( and some extra wires,2 vcr's) as well, Man I am going to love living in Tennessee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee