U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 06:38 PM

6,591 posts, read 19,422,422 times

Advertisements

yes i know its a middle of nowehere kind of town with very limited resources...
but im looking at a house there anyway because middle of nowhere is exactly what i need!

but i was wondering if anyone knew if the "town" of finger has any real land use restrictions?

the property im looking at has about 4 1/2 acres and im looking to have some goats and chickens and rabbits and a veggie garden...
but the house is alos in a fairly "populated" area, its actually on an off street off the main road across from where the post office is located.

im very interseted in the house, lcoation wise its where i want to be (close enough to shopping in jackson and savannah to be comfortable for me as a commute but far enough away from the likes of anything resembling a city that id feel quite happy...

but i know sometimes tiny town and a few acres doesnt nessicarily mean you can keep small livestock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 08:53 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,506,178 times
Oh, my goodness! It's so funny that you mention Finger. I didn't know anyone outside of a very tiny part of rural West Tennessee had ever heard of it. When I was little, my momma sang at the dance at the old gym there every weekend. As a six year old, I danced with many little old ladies there.

Sorry for the info you didn't need. Unfortunately, I know nothing about land use regulations there. The town is incorporated, so most likely, it has a zoning ordinance. (I bet it's not very restrictive.) You might call the town hall at (731) 934-4677 and ask about regulations. (You'll probably have to leave a message. I doubt the town has any full-time staffers.)

NYAnnie is settling not too far from Finger. She may have something valuable to add.

Best wishes.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:51 AM

thank you thats actually very helpfull, i was looking for the town hall number so i could call and couldnt find it online lol. will definatly give them a call and see what they say

Old 06-29-2011, 11:55 AM

451 posts, read 1,162,496 times
any info on Finger TN?

Its just a small joint.... held together by Nails...

Old 06-30-2011, 08:38 AM

8,262 posts, read 15,818,972 times
First thing you need to do is get the correct pronunciation so you dont sound Yankee when you ask the neighbors whether or not they mind you having a few animals. It is spelled FINGER but pronounced FANGER! One word of warning if you decide to buy a place there. Keep any anti Christian comments to yourself or they will make your life miserable! Finger is a very Baptist/Church of Christ town. Good luck.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:41 PM

im not christian but im also not one to discus politicts or religion..i keep myself to myself, i respect other peoples choices and deicions and am very polite (british upbringing lol) as long as they respect me when i politly decline invites to church then all is good lol.
i may not worship the same wya or even the same gods others in the area do...but i am VERY respectfull of their right to worship however they see fit, im too liberal to be anti anything, and too agoraphobic for anyone to know im alive half the time lol.
im actually expecting to become that "crazy farm lady on the corner" that people dont see very often and assume im "odd" lol and thats more than ok with me because its absolutly the truth.
i have agoraphobia and sever social anxiety disorder so i dont realy interact much with other people, but when i do its always please thank you and "service with a smile" manners are (or were) practically drilled into us lol

im also not too worried about sounding yankee...i sound too english to be a yank lol.

my relator told me whn i was asking about certain pronunciations...she goes 'oh dont worry about it, with your accent you could "rename it and say the sky was green and everyone would just think your gosh darn adorable"
lol.
she said given my manners and accent I would probably be easily accepted anywhere despite my "flaws" LOL

i called the "town hall" or finger community center and left a message about zoning rights and land use restrictions, no call back yet but my agent is also looking into it for me...
i had no idea they had dances though! that makes me happy, i realy want to be somewhere with a small community feel where they do little events, bbq's dances ect...

Old 06-30-2011, 04:17 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,506,178 times
For a long time, there was a religious cult near Finger. (The people who lived in the commune followed the teachings of an old guy named either Moses or Noah--can't remember for sure--who looked like Santa Claus and was supposed to be anointed/appointed by God.) Not sure if it's still there or not, though.

Last edited by strumpeace; 06-30-2011 at 04:28 PM..

Old 06-30-2011, 04:51 PM

so thats where santa is hiding :P

Old 06-30-2011, 05:47 PM

22,515 posts, read 45,628,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
she said given my manners and accent I would probably be easily accepted anywhere despite my "flaws" LOL
Oh. My.

I am infinitely amazed at some folks saying Yankees are rude and not realizing how rude they are being by that statement. I guess they were told to be polite unless Yankees are involved. Then it's perfectly okay to be an ignorant buffoon.

And that woman is making money off of you. Imagine what the other people will do.

Small towns in The South are not for me. Large towns, too, for that matter.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:59 PM

8,139 posts, read 14,016,756 times
Foxy, we will be neighbors. We bought our house in Bethel Springs - and we'll share a county "seat" - it's Selmer. I am 90% sure there are no restrictions on gardens or "wildlife" - but contact the McNairy chamber of commerce & economic development commission:

McNairy County Chamber of Commerce and Economic Development Commission

BTW, most county offices and libraries are closed on Wednesdays but open Saturdays.

BTW, we have lots of friends who are into corsets so make sure you wear it when you come over for one of the BBQs - but bring your stun gun cuz I'm inviting the Capt also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee