U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2011, 09:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,323 times

Advertisements

Hello All. We're looking at buying a log cabin in TN. for a permanent residence. But, several realtors we've talked to have discouraged us from buying one in some of these log cabins communities or investment rental resort communities.. (I'm sure those of you that live near Sevierville, Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg know of these communities...)
The Realtors are basically saying we can't purchase one for a permanent residence. We don't understand, when we ask why not, they said the home was not zoned or there were restrictions against it. But, the zoning on the listings ( we've inquired about ) say.. R1, or permanent residence or simply the word ' either' .... Are the realtors correct? or are we missing something?
We looked up one resort area's HOA covanants and it didnt say anything about restricting against a permanent residence or anything else. We understand in some of these communities that there's limited parking and we bypass those. But, there are some that look like they can accomodate several cars.
We found a home just recently that was perfect for what we were looking for and the realtor said "No, you don't really want to buy one of these homes in these communities to live permanently because most of the homes don't have a ton of storage like in a regular home...let me send you some others that I think you will like." We didnt ...& they didnt seem to offer anymore storage than the one we liked.
Can anyone shed some light on this so we can understand better?
Thanks to all who respond in advance. If this sounded confusing, we apologize, we tried to word it as clearly and as short as we could so as not to go on & on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 09:19 PM

766 posts, read 1,094,754 times
Contact the HOA yourself and inquire. That should clear up any confusion. If you are correct, then I would confront the Realtors about it. Back them into a corner.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:47 AM

283 posts, read 749,859 times
Because you are looking in communities are are pretty much exclusively short term rental places, perhaps your realtors are trying to steer you away because those aren't really a place that someone would really want to live full time. Think about it - one week you might have a number of huge groups there, partying and being noisy, and then have nobody around the next week. Popular vacation times would probably be miserable. Personally, I think that kind of community is not a true community, and wouldn't be pleasant. It is possible that the realtors are trying to avoid hurting your feelings, in that they may think someone who would want to live in that situation full time is a little weird, or it is possible that the HOA itself doesn't want to have full timers around because they might complain about the neighbors, services, etc.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:00 AM

643 posts, read 1,140,165 times
Frankly (and as a realtor myself) this type of talk by a fellow realtor is disheartening to hear (and no I do not do business in Pigeon Forge area so im not promoting myself). While it is true that most people would not want to live in these homes full time- if there is not a restriction against it, it is ultimately your decision. It is your decision whether there is enough storage, a community feel, etc. Realtors can point out these things, but should not exclude you from buying the property. If I were you and could not find a realtor that would listen to your wants/needs, I would buy directly from the listing agent (or owner if FSBO).

Old 07-05-2011, 10:38 AM

22,515 posts, read 45,633,323 times
I agree that a Realtor may be gently trying to inform the OP that living in a community of tourist rentals is probably not what they think. Of course, there is a way to explain these things and ultimately it is up to the buyer.

However, I would never tell someone to just go with the listing agent. That would be a dual agency situation, certainly legal in this state - although not all states - and not usually the best situation. When a buyer just deals with the selling agent, that agent must always keep the seller's best interest upfront. In other words, they will do what is best for the seller - by law! - and not for the buyer.

If, for whatever reason, you are not comfortable with your agent, as long as you have not signed a buyer's agent agreement you can find someone else. But I strongly suggest that you consider what he or she is trying to tell you. There may just be a misunderstanding, although perhaps not.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:10 PM

643 posts, read 1,140,165 times
Just to be clear, I certainly would not engage in a dual agency either. This would be the agent working for the buyer and seller both (legal but unethical by most people). And if you can find a buyers agent that will respect you, certainly go with them. But if all of the other agents refuse to show you the homes that you want- you can have the listing agent write up the offer (you would simply be unrepresented). Realize that he/she is working for the best interests of the seller, and dont say anything that would be considered confidential, and they cant give you advice on how much to offer, etc. But if you know what you want to offer and realize the situation, the listing agent will be more than happy to show you the home and present your offer to the seller.

Either way, good luck in your search!

Old 07-05-2011, 09:34 PM

119 posts, read 256,465 times
We own two cabins and in the paperwork it states how the residence will be occupied. It was ACTUALLY harder to do it as a rental property- second property rather than if we actually lived there. That being said maybe there is a CERTAIN resort that doesn't allow long term tenants. All of the resorts we looked at didn't have this rule. I would check with a another real estate agency and question it. You can also contact the HOA directly. FYI: Do you really want to live there? Have you researched it and checked out the activity in the resort. Just asking because while we have two cabins I wouldn't want to live there long term.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:27 AM

3,735 posts, read 3,356,930 times
Sounds like they are confused. Tell them the information that you're finding, is different from what you're being told.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:18 PM

231 posts, read 461,313 times
Default Log cabin in Tennessee

Mmmmmm. Do you think it may be possible that said Real Estate Agents didn't happen to have a Log cabin listed ? I assume they may have attempted to steer you to something else? I would check with the appropriate County or City Officials.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:05 AM

14,851 posts, read 26,351,345 times
Find a new realtor. Also, log cabins have specific upkeep requirements so make sure you know what you are getting into there. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee