U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2011, 12:58 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,362,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
Wanna bet? Google that one. Some overzealous mother convinced the school board her child's peanut allergy was more important than the free will of other parents to decide what there children should eat and got it not only banned but punishable to bring peanut products to school.
Oh, I know they can, technically. But somehow I doubt that in McMinnville, Tennessee and surrounding area that they will.

BTT: OP, I think that since peanut allergies have become more and more common, just informing the school about the issue should be enough. They're not going to want to put anyone at unnecessary risk, and there's a chance that they already have a student or students with that allergy. Septimus gave some pretty good perspective from a parent of a child with that allergy. If your son knows the dangers of his allergy, and the school does what they can to accommodate him, then he should be fine.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:31 PM

21 posts, read 28,418 times
but there is a HUGE difference of being intolerant of a food and going into anaphalyxis...certainly a life or death issue with a peanut ALLERGY that is why we fight for our kids that have the severe allergies...a food ingredient that you are intolerent of will not cost you your life if ingested.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:38 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,362,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc2006 View Post
but there is a HUGE difference of being intolerant of a food and going into anaphalyxis...certainly a life or death issue with a peanut ALLERGY that is why we fight for our kids that have the severe allergies...a food ingredient that you are intolerent of will not cost you your life if ingested.
I don't see where anyone suggested otherwise.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:46 PM

Thank you, I know it is very hard for people who do not have a child with such a serious allergy to understand. They think it is "crazy" behavior when all we are trying to do is keep our child safe and alive. I think a PBJ sandwich is not worth a life in any environment. It is something us parents of severe allergies have to worry about and we need to keep educating others for ignorance is the excuse and death can be a result! A local 16 year old passed away because he went to a friend's house whose mother had shellfish in her pasta sauce and he didn't make it! For some, even an Epipen cannot reverse the allergic reaction and a lot of people do not know this sad fact.
When it is not your child it makes insignificant things become a "hassle" but when you have a child like ours it is a daily fear for their life!
Anyway, I thank you for sharing your family's school experience and wish you a healthy future for your daughter!

Old 07-20-2011, 07:49 PM

the post by Pam & Bill was who I was responding to

Old 07-20-2011, 08:03 PM

Default peanut allergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam& Bill View Post
Maybe that overzealous mother needs something to do. I'm glad I raised my kids in a time where all this focus wasn't in full force or so acceptable. So a child has an allergy, that makes that child so special that the entire school must suffer because of it? My son was lactose intolerant, you can bet I didn't make the entire school do away with dairy products. My son knew about it, it was up to him to question what was in something before he ate it.

INTOLERANT results in GI upset....food ALLERGY results in shock and DEATH!!! HUGE DIFFERENCE!!!! It is very hard for people who do not have a child with such a serious allergy to understand. They think it is "crazy" behavior when all we are trying to do is keep our child safe and alive. I think a PBJ sandwich is not worth a life in any environment. It is something us parents of severe allergies have to worry about and we need to keep educating others for ignorance is the excuse and death can be a result! A local 16 year old passed away because he went to a friend's house whose mother had shellfish in her pasta sauce and he didn't make it! For some, even an Epipen cannot reverse the allergic reaction and a lot of people do not know this sad fact.
When it is not your child it makes insignificant things become a "hassle" but when you have a child like ours it is a daily fear for their life! Don't judge people unless you have walked a mile in their shoes!!!!!!-sound familiar???

[+] Rate this post positively

Old 07-20-2011, 08:38 PM

4,989 posts, read 4,485,827 times
So I've seen some of the press in the past about the peanut battle, and some of the things schools are forcing people to do- all kids rinsing out their mouths several times a day, leaving lunches outside schools in Florida, peanut sniffing dogs, kids having to wipe down their desks with Lysol wipes multiple times a day, etc. I think all of these hoops that keep getting adding is what is makes non-allergy parents get so frustrated. It also goes against FAAN recommendations. FAAN says that schools should not be completely peanut free because it creates a false sense of safety for the allergic child. There is no way to guarantee a completely nut free environment.

To keep this on topic for TN, our school in Brentwood was mentioned by FAAN for doing a great job with food allergies. Our school is not peanut free. We have peanut free tables. The classroom with a child with a severe peanut allergy is also nut free, as is the classroom that shares a cubby room to avoid cross contamination in the cubby room. But the rooms being peanut free is just for snack and party food in the classrooms- the children can still have peanut products at lunch, at the regular tables. And birthday treats are required to be bought through the cafeteria- either ice cream or popsicles that are peanut free. All of those seem really reasonable to me, and I have not heard any push back from other parents either. And as I said earlier, FAAN has recognized our school for its policies.

Schools need to find reasonable compromises to accodomate as many people as possible. Spending time each day rinsing your mouth and Lysoling your desk mutliple times takes away learning time. Plus what about the asthma kids who can't handle being exposed to that much Lysol or might have a reaction to the peanut sniffing dogs?

Here's a link about food allergy legislation in TN and also a mention of our school:
Alexander, Corker Join Country Music Star Trace Adkins to Announce Support for Bill to Help 41,000 Tennessee Children With Life-Threatening Food Allergies - FAAN

The policies at our school may be the same at all Williamson County Schools. You would need to call the school district to find that out. Hope that helps.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:24 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,544,193 times
Back in the day, allergists insisted that the only way to overcome an allergy was to be exposed to the allergin repeatedly. At least that was the theory behind those god-awful allergy shots I had to go take every Friday afternoon. I was injected with a mixture of (simulated) pine tree, dog saliva, ragweed, cockroach, and the 30 other things to which I was allergic.

The shots were horrible, so I stopped them after a year. Needless to say, I'm still allergic to practically everything.

Do allergists recommend exposure for kids with peanut allergies?

BTW, in my son's last school (in another state), kids with peanut allergies sat in a sort of non-peanut ghetto on the edge of the cafeteria.

Last edited by strumpeace; 07-20-2011 at 10:37 PM..

Old 07-21-2011, 03:42 AM

645 posts, read 1,153,050 times
I really dont think that anyone on this board is insensitive to the allergy. I think those who are against making an entire school change their behavior in radical ways is simply thinking about the practical fact that when the child grows up, every environment he/she is exposed to will not be as controlled as a government run school. In addition to keeping the child safe while they are in school (which is important), the child should also become aware of the realities of post school life and the fact that they will be exposed to situations/peanuts.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:31 AM

20,014 posts, read 20,504,984 times
Have you considered home schooling?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee