U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2011, 12:50 PM

181 posts, read 268,277 times

Advertisements

Yes, it is a bit off season, but we're trying to coordinate 3 families for a vacation. We want to:
  • Play in the Snow
  • Snow Tubing (for a double Bday party, 7 yo & 17 yo)
  • Snow Skiing (all r never been skiing before 'ers)
  • Relax in a nice cabin and enjoy snowy mountain views
We;ve read that Gatlinburg doesn't have dependable snow and were wondering if the drive accross the mountains to, say Beech NC is going to be dangerous for our TN family. We'll be going around MLK weekend, so crowds are a concern as we're looking for some serenity.
  • Has anyone made that drive?
  • Can anyone compare Gatlinburg to NC or VA destinations?
  • What would you recommend base on our locations.. we're coming from Cookeville, Tampa & Indianapolis to meet.
  • Affordability is a concern as we will be renting 2 or 3 cabins for a week on a holiday weekend + tickets for tubing/skiing 4 us all.
  • Anyone know of State parks that offer rentals in Jan?
Thanks,
Cara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 01:41 PM

23,475 posts, read 21,636,422 times
FYI: Check this out.. You may have to do more Googling...
Cherohala Skyway, mile high legend from Robbinsville NC to Tellico Plains TN

Old 07-30-2011, 12:44 PM

181 posts, read 268,277 times
Thanks. Looks like a great road to drive in good weather. I'll check it out a little more.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:42 PM

23,475 posts, read 21,636,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMor2Day View Post
Thanks. Looks like a great road to drive in good weather. I'll check it out a little more.
This link has some awesome photos of the Cherohala park way.. I can just imagine what this road looks like in fall colors......

Cherohala Skyway from Tellico Plains Tennessee

Old 11-10-2011, 01:36 PM

11 posts, read 20,285 times
Me and my family were just there (Gatlinburg) not too long ago. We booked a cabin through Gatlinburg cabins. They took care of everything for us and we even got discount tickets for certain attractions. Hope this helps!

Old 11-10-2011, 01:39 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,921,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
This link has some awesome photos of the Cherohala park way.. I can just imagine what this road looks like in fall colors......

Cherohala Skyway from Tellico Plains Tennessee
There is a great place called Telliquah Falls with private cabins. The OP might wanna look into it. My husband and I spent a weekend there in February of 2010. It was wonderful.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:36 PM

283 posts, read 749,937 times
You might want to research what happened last Christmas around the Gatlinburg area when we had an unusual amount of snow... people in the cabins not being able to get down the mountain, not prepared to be snowed in. If you don't feel confident driving in snow, be especially aware that winter weather can be unpredictable.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:51 PM

210 posts, read 691,398 times
Default tt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassykat&joe View Post
You might want to research what happened last Christmas around the Gatlinburg area when we had an unusual amount of snow... people in the cabins not being able to get down the mountain, not prepared to be snowed in. If you don't feel confident driving in snow, be especially aware that winter weather can be unpredictable.
Luckily, the locals working in real estate as rental property managers were able to assist everyone by helping them get down the mountain or bringing them food or whatever they needed. Good thing!! This from a friend in the business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee