U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 02:48 PM

5 posts, read 2,181 times

Advertisements

i have the chance to work in 4 different places in Tn. They are Knoxville, Johnson city, Oak Ridge, and Seveirville. Which one of these 4 would be the best choice. I do have children that would be attending the local schools. thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 03:22 PM

9,063 posts, read 21,516,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k10501 View Post
i have the chance to work in 4 different places in Tn. They are Knoxville, Johnson city, Oak Ridge, and Seveirville. Which one of these 4 would be the best choice. I do have children that would be attending the local schools. thank you for your help!
You'll need to provide more info on what you're looking for besides good schools. I've moved this to the main Tennessee forum since you're asking about more than one place in TN, and cross posting in multiple forums is not allowed per the Terms of Service.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win

Old 08-10-2011, 03:38 PM

218 posts, read 162,998 times
Well, you don't indicate what type work you do and I have lived in 3 of the four places you mentioned, let me give you my perspective. Knoxville is the largest of the four, home to University of Tenn., it has very good schools, shopping and eating out is terrific. Down side is the cost of living is higher there, it is very spread out, and the traffic can be a nightmare especially if they are working on 1-40 which the DOT aalmost always does. There are lots of things to do cultually but you will be driving alot. Knoxvile is atypical large metro area with its own set of problems.
Oak Ridge is just about 30 minutes northwet of Knoxville in Anderson COunty. Home to the nuclear bomb and K-25 & Y-12, most of the workforce is wrapped around govement contracts. The schools are one of the best in Tenn. due to the folks who live there. It is pretty, clean and welcoming. Downside, you're 30 minutes from Knoxville, so its a bedroom community.
Sevierville is home to Dolly Parton, Dollywood and a whole lot of visitors. I lived there for a short time, you learn the backroads quickly to stay off the main drag. It is expensive to live, hard to get around in. Schools are pretty good - average for the state. The Smokies and Gatlinburg are just down the road. Week-ends and summers are crowded. The beauty of being in Seviervile is you are close to one of the most beautiful parks in America. There is alot ot do. Now, Johnson City , one of the tri-cities- about 1 1/2 hours from Sevierville, up I-40 to -I-81. It has most of the ammenities of larger cities, shopping, resturants, medical community good, and the traffic can be a bit hairy on Fridays. Schools are good - one public high school several smaller private ones in area, The cost of living is probably less than the other 3 cities and housing is plentiful. Depending on what your enjoy, the Tri-Cities has a lot of beautful area around to explore. There are lakes near by. parks and just about anything you will need within the city or within 50 miles. I have lived in Knoxville, Sevierville and Johnson City and I can truly tell you, JC. is my pick.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:58 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,449,123 times
I'm biased regarding Knoxville. I love living in Knoxville. Knoxville has some bad parts, but I don't see those much. Good luck in your search,
Pam

Old 08-10-2011, 10:35 PM

76 posts, read 97,748 times
I live in what could be considered a bedroom community of Johnson City, and attend East Tennessee State University. Johnson City is the largest city, and in many ways the anchor city, of the Tri-Cities CSA. As stated above, it offers many of the conveniences of a larger city with fewer of the problems. Restaurants are plentiful, though there is somewhat of a lack of standout local eateries (though, I am spoiled by diversity in my many visits to Asheville, NC). The medical community is great, and is continually fed by ETSU's college of medicine. The housing market has withstood the economic downturn fairly well. Prices are fair, and housing is readily available.

Sevierville is a gateway to a tourist trap, plain and simple. As an occasional (and I do mean occasional) visitor to the area, I often wonder how on earth anyone could stand to have permanent residency in Sevier County.

I love visiting Knoxville, and have plenty of friends who currently reside there, as well as some who have lived there and moved on. Cost of living is a bit high, but overall it seems to be a great city. Shopping and dining opportunities here are the best of the four locales you mentioned. My sources have warned me that some city schools are much worse than others, but that is a fact of life in a city of any size. Traffic is quite a pain at times, though completing the construction on I-40 has helped.

I cannot speak for Oak Ridge, as I honestly know very little about the city.

My (biased) pick, obviously, would be Johnson City. This area is beautiful, and weekend getaways are plentiful. There are numerous waterfalls, mountain peaks, nature sites, bike trails, hiking trails, and small, historic towns within an hour or two of Johnson City. In fact, Jonesborough, TN - the oldest town in Tennessee - is literally in Johnson City's backyard (about ten to fifteen minutes west of downtown on 11E).

Good luck with your search!

Old 08-10-2011, 11:03 PM

21,677 posts, read 31,648,561 times
Best schools will be in Knoxville and Oak Ridge. Our daughter is in the Knox County schools. We moved here for her to attend and we are very pleased.

I love Knoxville. The downtown is beautifully restored with an incredible arts community. It's the biggest small town you'll ever live in! Knoxville Tourism & Sports Corporation | The Official Site of Knoxville

And we are a hop, skip and a jump to The Smokies or The Cumberlands plus not that far from Chattanooga, Nashville, Atlanta, Florida, the Carolinas. We are in a really nice location.

Sevierville is a tourist area with tourist prices, traffic and the schools aren't the best. I'm not a big fan of northeast Tennessee, either.

Cost of living is high in Knoxville? I guess compared to Johnson City, but then you are saying what? That Knoxville is dirt cheap and Johnson City is really dirt cheap? I mean, seriously...

I strongly suggest you drive through the areas you are interested in and see what "fits" for you.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Cost of living is high in Knoxville? I guess compared to Johnson City, but then you are saying what? That Knoxville is dirt cheap and Johnson City is really dirt cheap? I mean, seriously...
Keep in mind the sample of qualified minds I receive my data from range in age from 20-26, and most are renters. Also, I should have been clearer: In comparison to Johnson City, Knoxville is high(er). I agree, however; by all standards, Knoxville is cheap. Yes, I'm spoiled by the low, low cost of living in Northeast Tennessee.

I qualified my advice as biased because my true loyalty lies within growing and developing Johnson City further. I'm not quite sure where life will take me once I receive my degree, but Johnson City will always hold a special place in my heart.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:48 PM

21,677 posts, read 31,648,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmattjohns View Post
Keep in mind the sample of qualified minds I receive my data from range in age from 20-26, and most are renters. Also, I should have been clearer: In comparison to Johnson City, Knoxville is high(er). I agree, however; by all standards, Knoxville is cheap. Yes, I'm spoiled by the low, low cost of living in Northeast Tennessee.

I qualified my advice as biased because my true loyalty lies within growing and developing Johnson City further. I'm not quite sure where life will take me once I receive my degree, but Johnson City will always hold a special place in my heart.
Northeast TN is cheaper than Knoxville. That's why we started our relocation search there. However, jobs are not that plentiful and pay is low. Granted, pay is not stellar in Knoxville, either, but it's better than that.

I think Knoxville has a bit more of a cosmopolitan feel. It's really just a very big town but it seems less insular than the Tri-Cities. That's just one person's opinion, though.

I think that you sound very sweet and it's nice to have a place that you love. I feel the same way about Knoxville. It's become my utopia. That doesn't mean it will be the same way for everyone but it is for me.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:17 PM

12,438 posts, read 11,826,048 times
Open this link Tennessee Chamber of Commerce :: Home once open upper left.. Local Chamber of Commerce ( Click on ). Pick those cities. The local Chamber of Commerce will send you "FREE" Information for the asking.. be specific on what you ask the Chamber.. Also I would suggest a bogus e-mail address..This way "YOU" get too choose who & whom you contact after doing more research..You will get every relator sending you gobs of stuff on that area..

Old 08-11-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Northeast TN is cheaper than Knoxville. That's why we started our relocation search there. However, jobs are not that plentiful and pay is low. Granted, pay is not stellar in Knoxville, either, but it's better than that.

I think Knoxville has a bit more of a cosmopolitan feel. It's really just a very big town but it seems less insular than the Tri-Cities. That's just one person's opinion, though.

I think that you sound very sweet and it's nice to have a place that you love. I feel the same way about Knoxville. It's become my utopia. That doesn't mean it will be the same way for everyone but it is for me.
I'm accustomed to traveling for my cosmopolitan fix, though that urge is becoming a weekly battle at this point. I'm certain that I would rather live in a larger area at this point, and that experience will hopefully come in the near future. My parents live and work in the area, as do my girlfriend's parents. I'll likely have ties to Johnson City the rest of my life, so I can't help but root for it. According to a professor I had last year, commercials for the Tri-Cities play on radio stations all over Florida, touting the area as one of the fastest-growing and safest destinations to flee to. I'm not sure that is exactly the progress I'm rooting for, but...ya know.

Who knows, Knoxville may be where I wind up one day. I certainly wouldn't mind! I love what I see every time I visit, especially downtown and all of the new development in west Knoxville. It seems like a very likable town, with one exception: the sea of orange. I just cannot pull myself to pull for the Vols.

You are certainly very right; neither the Tri-Cities nor Knoxville are for everyone. All I can attest to is that I enjoy them both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee