U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old

31 posts, read 78,466 times

Advertisements

Hi
my husband and i are thinking about looking in tennessee for a second home but we need some advice. We presently live in florida and have heard some great things about this state.

The problem is where should we focus our search? We would like some land maybe a farm but we do want to be too far away from any big town or city.

Our price range is up to 300,000 and we would like at least a 3 bedroom house that does not need too much renovation.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old

9,486 posts, read 13,344,036 times
Define please

some land- how many acres, approximately?

too far away- how long of a drive (not distance because twisty back roads can take a long time even if the distance is not that far)?

big town or city- in terms of sheer numbers what do you consider too big or too small?

Any other considerations? How far from a lake is acceptable, are you looking for lakefront property? Do you need or want to be near good hospitals, airports, organic food stores, art museums, etc., etc.?

Topography and climate change from one end of the state to the other too. West TN tends to be warmer and has a gentle rolling landscape. The further east you go it tends to get a bit cooler and more hilly until you get to the mountains in east TN. Do you have any preference?

Old

Hi
thanx for your prompt response. Well just so you have some background. My husband is originally from finland and i am from new york. So i would like a nice sized city that is less than 30 minutes away and he would like to have land (acreage unimportant) possibly by a lake or water. Is this possible in the state? We like animals and open land but also want to be close to any activity. As i have mentioned this would be a vacation home to get away from the heat in the summer here and enjoy some cooler weather in the winter months.

Old

11,604 posts, read 31,777,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swissmiss05 View Post
Hi
thanx for your prompt response. Well just so you have some background. My husband is originally from finland and i am from new york. So i would like a nice sized city that is less than 30 minutes away and he would like to have land (acreage unimportant) possibly by a lake or water. Is this possible in the state? We like animals and open land but also want to be close to any activity. As i have mentioned this would be a vacation home to get away from the heat in the summer here and enjoy some cooler weather in the winter months.
Again, you need to specify what you mean by "nice sized city." To some people, 10,000 is a nice sized city; to others, 10,000 is tiny. If your only criteria is to be near a city large enough for a WalMart, there are all kinds of possibilities in Tennessee. If you want cooler summer weather, you'll need to stick to the mountains of East Tennessee, but there again there are dozens of towns that some would consider to be "nice sized."

And what activities do you need to be near? Movies? Symphony? Art galleries? The Tennessee forum is full of a lot of very helpful people, but you need to help us by being more specific so we can narrow down our recommendations.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession

Old

8,262 posts, read 15,966,693 times
If the Op is looking to "get out of the summer heat," that pretty well eliminates West Tennessee I would think. Although she may find that her $$ to buy land will get her alot more in the western part of the state. Good luck young lady.

Old

445 posts, read 1,010,325 times
Here in eastern Tennessee land on the TVA lakes is now being sold by the square-foot, not by the acre. It is rare for farmland fronting one of the lakes to come to market and when it happens it usually is seven figures to some developer. I don't think $300K will go very far except for a reasonably modest dwelling on a small lakefront lot. .

You may be able to find a nice piece of farmland in southern Johnson or eastern Carter county "near" Watauga Lake that is affordable and has the milder, low humidity summer weather found only in the eastern tip of the state. Go further down in elevation and it seems much hotter (where I live). You should be able to find something with a nice stream at or through the property in this price range

I've seen some places listed on sites like realtordotcom with a starting search on "Mountain City, TN" and suitable filtering to focus your search.

Old

20,015 posts, read 20,514,746 times
It use to be folks looked for vacation homes in Florida where it was sunny and near the "water".

Old

thank you all for your responses.

will keep on looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee