U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 01:57 PM

2,822 posts, read 8,674,873 times
Default What is the most diverse cities/areas in Tennessee?

My husband and I lived out of the US for many years before settling in Florida. We enjoy the diversity of south Florida. Our business is here. We are beginning to plan the next phase in our lives and were wondering what life would be like in Tennessee.

We enjoy living in a quiet area with decent access to Indian, Latin, German, Japanese restaurants, etc. We also want to live in an area that has excellent access to good medical care (should we need it), airports, and that is a little more laid back.

What are your experiences? Your thoughts? Suggestions? Your input is appreciated.

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 03:11 PM

8,990 posts, read 20,930,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
My husband and I lived out of the US for many years before settling in Florida. We enjoy the diversity of south Florida. Our business is here. We are beginning to plan the next phase in our lives and were wondering what life would be like in Tennessee.

We enjoy living in a quiet area with decent access to Indian, Latin, German, Japanese restaurants, etc. We also want to live in an area that has excellent access to good medical care (should we need it), airports, and that is a little more laid back.

What are your experiences? Your thoughts? Suggestions? Your input is appreciated.

Thank you!!
Since having access to an airport is important, that narrows your search to two areas: Memphis and Nashville. Both have diverse populations, although Nashville is probably more diverse than Memphis. It won't be anything like South Florida, however. But Nashville has the largest Kurdish community in the country and the largest Hispanic community in Tennessee. Nashville's suburbs are notorious for being in love with chain restaurants, but the central part of Nashville has some funky neighborhoods with some eclectic restaurants. You might be disappointed, however, that there aren't more international fares. If you have a craving for Ukrainian or Macanese foods, you're out of luck.

Nashville's airport is a hub for Southwest and also has JetBlue and Frontier. You can fly to anywhere in the US with inexpensive fares out of Nashville.

Nashville has fantastic medical facilities including two medical colleges: Vanderbilt and Meharry. Hospital Corporation of America has its HQ in Nashville and has built some enormous hospitals in its hometown with cutting edge medical technology.

Nashville is a beautiful city of rolling hills, leafy green neighborhoods, and a nice downtown with cool night clubs, a world-class symphony hall, a huge art museum, professional sports, the world's only full-scale replica of the Parthenon, and a nice riverfront with outdoor concerts throughout the year. And, of course, the venerable Ryman Auditorium, one of the most acoustically perfect performance halls in the country.

There are a dozen colleges and universities in Nashville, so there's never a lack of things to do. All those college kids, college faculty, college theater, concerts, galleries, sporting events, etc., help keep the city vibrant.

You might want to hop on a cheap Southwest flight and spend a long weekend in Nashville sometime to get a feel for the city. I love the place. But if your first priority is to live in a community with a wide variety of different racial communities, Nashville (or anywhere else in Tennessee) might not be right for you. But if you want a beautiful city with friendly people, a slower pace than South Florida, four distinct seasons, a thriving live music scene, then Nashville might be for you.

Good luck!

Old 08-22-2007, 08:23 PM

2,822 posts, read 8,674,873 times
Thank you!!! I appreciate your time in responding not to mention the valuable information. I believe a trip to Nashville is in order. :-)

Old 09-03-2007, 10:32 AM

5,781 posts, read 2,281,011 times
Nashville is definitely your best choice. It is one of the most desirable cities in the nation, for many reasons. Best wishes.

Old 09-03-2007, 03:49 PM

13,905 posts, read 1,916,061 times
This is good to know Ridgerunner, as I will be living there in about 12 days. I look forward to exploring Nashville and some of the wonderful things the city has to offer for me.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:31 PM

129 posts, read 298,451 times
Nashville.....hands down...great restaurants...everything you've mentioned and more!

..I'd stay in Florida during hurricane season rather than moving to Memphis!

Old 01-29-2009, 11:42 AM

2 posts, read 5,167 times
Actually, Memphis is the most diverse city in the state of Tennessee NOT Nashville. Memphis was also ranked by Forbes magazine as having one of the best restaurant scenes in the country Nashville was not even mentioned. Nashville residents have this block in their mind that Memphis is awful without even stepping foot in the city. Memphis also has a thriving medical district between downtown and midtown. The University of Tennessee medical school is there along with other top tier hospitals. The Midtown and East Memphis areas are the best and most culturally diverse areas to live in. Downtown Memphis also offers some unique opportunities such as the South Main Arts district which is like the SoHo area of New York, but on a smaller scale and also there is Harbor Town down on the river which is also a great area to live. Memphis has so much more culture and character than any other metropolitan area in Tennessee, one thing you need to know before reading a lot of the post is that people from Nashville, Knoxville, and Chattanooga are very biased towards Memphis because of its large African American population. Others say that the crime is high, but just like every other city with a million plus people Memphis does have some problems but I am always happy to call it home.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:12 PM

8,990 posts, read 20,930,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaruth4 View Post
Actually, Memphis is the most diverse city in the state of Tennessee NOT Nashville. Memphis was also ranked by Forbes magazine as having one of the best restaurant scenes in the country Nashville was not even mentioned. Nashville residents have this block in their mind that Memphis is awful without even stepping foot in the city. Memphis also has a thriving medical district between downtown and midtown. The University of Tennessee medical school is there along with other top tier hospitals. The Midtown and East Memphis areas are the best and most culturally diverse areas to live in. Downtown Memphis also offers some unique opportunities such as the South Main Arts district which is like the SoHo area of New York, but on a smaller scale and also there is Harbor Town down on the river which is also a great area to live. Memphis has so much more culture and character than any other metropolitan area in Tennessee, one thing you need to know before reading a lot of the post is that people from Nashville, Knoxville, and Chattanooga are very biased towards Memphis because of its large African American population. Others say that the crime is high, but just like every other city with a million plus people Memphis does have some problems but I am always happy to call it home.
Nice try. I lived in the Memphis area for 8 years including three different areas in the city of Memphis. I know what I'm talking about.

If by "diverse" you mean simply African-American, then yes Memphis is more diverse than Nashville.

Here's what the US Census has to say on the subject:

Racial make-up of Memphis

Black 62%
White 32%
Hispanic 5%
Asian 1%

Racial make-up of Nashville

White 62%
Black 28%
Hispanic 7%
Asian 3%

30 years ago Memphis undoubtedly had more "culture" (high-brow stuff) than Nashville. But that's not the case anymore. Nashville's symphony is better funded and has a better symphony hall. Nashville's opera and ballet are larger, and Nashville now has the largest art museum in the state (the Frist).

Memphis definitely has a great restaurant scene, but I would hardly say that it's better than Nashville's.

While it's great that the state's land grant university has its medical school in Memphis, Nashville has TWO medical schools including one that's much more prestigious than U.T. (Vanderbilt). The medical district in Memphis is large, but it's been shrinking, having lost Saint Joseph and Baptist hospitals. Nashville is home to the country's largest hospital chain.

I love Memphis and could live there again very easily. But there's no need to make Memphis into something it isn't.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:38 PM

5,484 posts, read 8,901,983 times
I would agree with Nashville. No explanations needed as JMT outlined pretty much everything. I won't necessarily say "don't move to Memphis" but if you are weighing the two cities, DEFINITELY visit both, as I've heard from many people who moved to Memphis only to move out in a year or two. It definitely has a much "bigger city" feel than Nashville, including everything both good and bad that go along with it.

And the political/education system there is in the shi77er.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:47 PM

137 posts, read 262,486 times
Memorial Hospital of Chattanooga is one of the top fifty hospitals in the US. The Chattanooga airport is decent (security takes about two and a half minutes, and if you want better connections the airports in Nashville and Atlanta are only two to two and a half hours away. Downtown along the riverfront is becoming more and more eclectic, and more urban parks and green spaces are added every few months. Most agree that Chattanooga has the prettiest downtown of any city in Tennessee. As in Nashville the suburbs are mostly concerned with chains, but there are a decent number of international venues around town (not as good as in larger cities, however). It's def worth taking a good look into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee