Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2007, 09:31 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,889,819 times

Advertisements

We are planning on a trip and thinking of getting a retirement home in that region. What's the difference between the two towns? I live in murfreesboro now - I like it here but want more land and rutherford county is too pricey...

thanks! looking to get maybe ten acres and build...where is the cheapest land around there?

thanks!

12b
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 11:09 PM

4 posts, read 11,565 times
Default My thoughts on Monteagle vs Sewanee

Hi, in my opinion the difference is University town vs rural area. Both having there own beauty. I think you will find more to do in Sewanee. There are small shops (not many, but quaint.) Amazing Glaze (paint your own pottery and studio, Art Studios. Sewanee has resturants like Shennigans, Blue Chair, Mountain Breeze Cafe, and Crust. All serve good food. The movie house is there on campus. Lots of summer programs for adults and children. If you are looking for old time American life style and less traffic both are great. The time to travel from each is short. In Monteagle you will fine Pearl's and High Point. More Antique shops. I believe the big resturants go to Monteagle due to the fact you cannot have a liquor license in Sewanee...just beer or wine not both. Sewanee is mostly domain of the University and that keeps things more controlled.
Sewanne has wonder hiking, lakes, places to bike and is very close to Cown and Winchester, just down the mountain road were you will find more resturants and shopping.If you are looking for gated living with land that is more of Monteagle life style.
I have been here two years, but vacationing for about six years. I own to business in Sewanee and Winchester. I live in a more rual area.
I find it some time boring...I came from a big city...but would not go back. I just get on the highway and head for Chattanooga or Murfreesburo both about a hour drive.
Weather is to me great...cooler in the summer...not so cold in the winter...humidty for me is great. I moved here from Florida.

I sure those that lived here longer could tell you more about both.

Good luck to you in you choosing and if you ever come to town come to see me or my husband Mark at Mountain Breeze Cafe. We will be happy to help out in any way we can.
Helen

Old 03-19-2008, 10:13 PM

380 posts, read 1,173,438 times
My friends own Crust Pizza in Sewanee. It is soooo good! They created a very fun, hip atmosphere. It's got that big city cool vibe going on, but part of what makes it cool is that it's in this tiny town.

I don't know much about the two towns, but the area seems to be appreciating in value significantly (though land values may have plateaued for the time being due to the market slowdown). Anyway, I advise you buy in the next year or two before it becomes "discovered".

Old 07-03-2008, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclay View Post
Hi, in my opinion the difference is University town vs rural area. Both having there own beauty. I think you will find more to do in Sewanee. There are small shops (not many, but quaint.) Amazing Glaze (paint your own pottery and studio, Art Studios. Sewanee has resturants like Shennigans, Blue Chair, Mountain Breeze Cafe, and Crust. All serve good food. The movie house is there on campus. Lots of summer programs for adults and children. If you are looking for old time American life style and less traffic both are great. The time to travel from each is short. In Monteagle you will fine Pearl's and High Point. More Antique shops. I believe the big resturants go to Monteagle due to the fact you cannot have a liquor license in Sewanee...just beer or wine not both. Sewanee is mostly domain of the University and that keeps things more controlled.
Sewanne has wonder hiking, lakes, places to bike and is very close to Cown and Winchester, just down the mountain road were you will find more resturants and shopping.If you are looking for gated living with land that is more of Monteagle life style.
I have been here two years, but vacationing for about six years. I own to business in Sewanee and Winchester. I live in a more rual area.
I find it some time boring...I came from a big city...but would not go back. I just get on the highway and head for Chattanooga or Murfreesburo both about a hour drive.
Weather is to me great...cooler in the summer...not so cold in the winter...humidty for me is great. I moved here from Florida.

I sure those that lived here longer could tell you more about both.

Good luck to you in you choosing and if you ever come to town come to see me or my husband Mark at Mountain Breeze Cafe. We will be happy to help out in any way we can.
Helen

Thank you for the kind offer.Is there a local realtor that specializes or has the lion's share of the listings around Sewanee? The place sounds terrific.
I am a writer so I think I'd like to take advantage of the school as much as I can. I am definitely NOT gated community type..I want to wake up and see Nature, not my neighbors driveway...also are there a lot of fsbo's or a newspaper that's local and has more info?
Thanks!

Old 07-03-2008, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMar View Post
My friends own Crust Pizza in Sewanee. It is soooo good! They created a very fun, hip atmosphere. It's got that big city cool vibe going on, but part of what makes it cool is that it's in this tiny town.

I don't know much about the two towns, but the area seems to be appreciating in value significantly (though land values may have plateaued for the time being due to the market slowdown). Anyway, I advise you buy in the next year or two before it becomes "discovered".
I understand you can't own land in Sewanee - they are leaseholds.....I definitely don't want to be in sub with assoc fees and tight lots with "views" and paying a lot for the bluff view....I am looking for a reproduction type house...traditional versus log style...seems like a lot of folks do the weekend house around here? they look like second homes anyway....thanks for any info..I like antiquing and having a small garden, and writing. No kids. But I might get another dog! I am not a hiker biker type...you'll find me at a concert or a antique car show instead..where do you think I'd would prefer?
Are there listings for houses that are not mls listed?
Perhaps the newspaper or is it drive by and look for the signs? ANy builders directly selling to the public? Thanks!

Old 07-03-2008, 03:08 PM

557 posts, read 1,664,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMar View Post
My friends own Crust Pizza in Sewanee. It is soooo good! Anyway, I advise you buy in the next year or two before it becomes "discovered".
Ummm... it's *already* been "discovered". Land is ridiculous, particularly anything on the brow. $25,000 an acre in some areas. Nice properties seem to cause bidding wars. I know, I got outbid on one.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
I understand you can't own land in Sewanee - they are leaseholds.....I definitely don't want to be in sub with assoc fees and tight lots with "views" and paying a lot for the bluff view....
All homes on university property are listed as such. However, you don't have to go too far out of Sewanee to get on non-university land, which you can own (for a price)

Old 07-14-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsherman9901 View Post
Ummm... it's *already* been "discovered". Land is ridiculous, particularly anything on the brow. $25,000 an acre in some areas. Nice properties seem to cause bidding wars. I know, I got outbid on one.
so most folks build versus buy resales? they seem to be really pricey! I assume it's cheaper to build if you find th right land..where did you end up buying, by the way?
I'ts such a small market and so little inventory..I guess that keeps the price up....is development contained so it does'nt lose its appeal?

Old 07-15-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
so most folks build versus buy resales? they seem to be really pricey! I assume it's cheaper to build if you find th right land..where did you end up buying, by the way?
I'ts such a small market and so little inventory..I guess that keeps the price up....is development contained so it does'nt lose its appeal?
Ended up buying in Alabama. Now that it's been announced that a VW plant is coming to Chattanooga, it's certain that prices in Sewanee/Monteagle will continue upward from where they're at right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee