U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 11:57 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,232,688 times

Advertisements

While I think it is admirable to try to live within your means and to try and find a home to buy that you can afford I don't think you have enough to buy in a safe place, especially since you need to be where you can walk to stores because you don't want to or can't drive.

I'm not sure why you haven't checked for yourself to see what is available with the public MLS for the Knoxville and surrounding counties area.

I did a quick search in my own county (Blount) which is south of Knoxville. I found exactly one house that meets most of your criteria (in town, but not a very pretty part and close to the Greenway which is beautiful in most parts) but it is up for sale for just about twice your budget at $19, 500. Listing #731608

I did the same kind of check for anything in your price range and found 10 homes listed between $9,9000 and $20,000. I don't live in Knoxville so I know very little about how far they might be for walking to stores and if any are near "unspoiled woods" and if the area is a safe one for bringing up your child. The one that is the price you have set doesn't look like it anywhere near any kind of park or natural setting. Listing #779340 Several of those in the under $50,000 range in Blount and Knox counties are listed to be sold "as is" which tells me there are probably expensive repairs lurking in them.

To do your own research use the following link to get started: Map Search and then enter the $$ amount you want to spend and nothing else. I put in $20,000 as the top number so I would catch homes that were slightly above your budget, like $10,500. It should bring up homes in other towns all around as well as in Knoxville (for example I see one in Seymour) listed for $10,500. You will notice there are not many homes to pick from and that many are not in places that fit the rest of your needs list.

It sounds like you should be looking at very small towns rather than a city like Knoxville if you want both shopping and unspoiled wilderness within walking distance at a very cheap price. I'm not sure if you have ever purchased a home before but you will also need to budget for closing costs and I would hope that you would pay a good home inspector to check it out before you agree to purchase any house so that you can avoid a home that is not only dangerous but also on the verge of needing very expensive repairs to remain livable, otherwise that 10k home suddenly will need another 10k put into it! You will also have ongoing costs to consider that you may not be thinking of depending on where you end up living. Some things will be included in municipal taxes/property taxes but if you live outside of the actual town lines you may have to pay for services like fire and ambulance on a yearly subscription basis.

Good luck in whatever you end up doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 04:34 PM

6,486 posts, read 13,768,782 times
Listing #779340 in Knoxville (5th Avenue) is in Parkridge, which is generally considered a neighborhood in transition with parts that are good and parts that are extremely undesirable. I did a Google Map search and there is a street view option. I have lived in neighborhoods that look like that, and they were very safe but bordered areas that were dangerous.

On a budget like yours, I agree with J&Em that you need to fully investigate your potential neighborhood (talk to plenty of neighbors, and the police department) and have a worthwhile inspector come out to the home. Something doesn't smell right there; even in a mediocre neighborhood $9900 seems like a small price to pay for a house. When I lived in Mountain Home in Johnson City, my similar house was valued around $58-$60k, and there were significant upgrades that were going to be needed in the next few years.

Anyway, my point wasn't to pick apart the example house given (sorry, J&Em!) but rather to show you that any house that cheap is going to have some kind of issue, and you need to investigate before you buy.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:20 PM

186 posts, read 404,889 times
Thanks for all the useful information. I read on another thread about there being a high level of cancer in Knoxville supposedly due to pollution, radon etc. Have any of you ever heard anything like this? I can link the thread later on if you'd like. I remember when I looked around Nashville the radon potential was really high. That's definitely a concern.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:58 AM

22,533 posts, read 46,025,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphacoyle View Post
Thanks for all the useful information. I read on another thread about there being a high level of cancer in Knoxville supposedly due to pollution, radon etc. Have any of you ever heard anything like this? I can link the thread later on if you'd like. I remember when I looked around Nashville the radon potential was really high. That's definitely a concern.
Not true. We've had threads like that a few times and every time they were proved to be wrong. There is usually a reason they were started, too, since the stats are glaringly obvious.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:23 PM

Diet and lifestyle could be a factor. I looked on the government's cancer site and the entire area from Alabama to Kentucky is all really high. And while TN as a whole has really high cancer rates Knoxville wasn't that bad.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:46 PM

Hmmm. Definitely higher rate of cancer in my home state of MA.

Map - State Cancer Profiles

Here it is broken down by county, nationally.

Map - State Cancer Profiles

And here is the list. What the heck is going on in Union County, Florida? State prison is there. Nuclear power plant is 70 miles away. In fact, I'm noticing a lot of them near higher cancer rates.

Interpret Map - State Cancer Profiles

Oh, and Knox County is right around the national average.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:18 AM

I went by mortality, not incidence: http://statecancerprofiles.cancer.go...&2&1&1&6&0#map

Old 11-18-2011, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphacoyle View Post
I went by mortality, not incidence: Map - State Cancer Profiles
And? Sorry but I don't consider the state to have "really high mortality rates" either. Further, this does not prove your original contention, that there is a "high level of cancer in Knoxville supposedly due to pollution, radon etc."

I don't to be rude but it seems like you are now grasping at straws. The truth is it is going to be impossible to find a house that fits your criteria for $10,000.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:24 PM

It's not my contention at all whatsoever; I just read a thread that got into the topic with a lot of people saying that they left or were leaving because of that, something about the lower part of some river (loudan? sp) and particulates from semi trucks etc. I actually have narrowed down on Knoxville for having many qualities that I'm loooking for and have found fixer uppers in my price range; just doing my research and asking questions.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:41 PM

Remember the thread well and remember the issues that the OP had and how her contention was debunked but you've read it so you already know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or