U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 04:45 PM

10 posts, read 12,389 times

Advertisements

Hello, My husband and I are looking to move from northern WI to TN in a couple of years. The winters here are getting too rough for the both of us. (We both have some health issues that are affected by the constant weather changes). We are looking around the southern middle of the state, maybe in the Lynchburg or Tullahoma area.

What are some good towns or cities (not too big) in that area? We like the small town life, but also need to be close to hospitals, shopping and employment. (My husband is currently an auto tech., but his body will not let him do that work for long, so not sure yet what he wants to do).
We also enjoy the outdoors, fishing in particular, so maybe somewhere near water.

Sorry if this is alot, but just starting our research.

Thanks for any info you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 11:18 AM

OK. Maybe someone can direct me to where I can find info on this forum about the Tullahoma or Lynchburg area??

I noticed alot of people looked at my post, but no one responded, so I must be in the wrong place.

Someone please help me, I have already been on the Tn website and the Tullahoma website. Looking for some locals to tell me what the areas are really like. Thank you.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:54 AM

9,244 posts, read 13,052,668 times
double post

Old 11-05-2011, 11:55 AM

9,244 posts, read 13,052,668 times
Halfway between Chattanooga and Nashville, so I'm not sure which subforum would be most helpful. But quick search pulls up a number of threads.
Tullahoma

tullahoma.htm?searchid=32767272

Old 11-05-2011, 12:00 PM

4,825 posts, read 4,729,728 times
Search Tennessee forums, questions like yours have been asked multiple times. Since employment will be an issue, you don't have a choice but to live within a drivable proximity of metropolitan areas such asf Knoxville, Nashville, Cookeville, Chattanooga, I would not consider Memphis if I were you.

If you pay attention to the map - Knoxville, Chattanooga, Nashville & Cookeville create sorta an irregular shaped loop. If you will live inside of that loop, or on the edges it would make for the maximum employment options, if you are willing to commute 1hr+ each way. If super commuting is not your thing, than you would have to do what others do - live close to major metropolitan areas I listed above + Bristol. Tullahoma is within reasonable 1 hour + commuting distance to Nashville, it's not the prettiest town or landscape, but people live there. Since you will have to commute to Nashville (most likely) anyway, I would rather choose a town along I-40 corridor, between Nashville & Cookeville, it's prettier, cooler & it would offer more recreational options in general and water recreation in particular, besides you can get lucky and obtain an employment in Cookeville, it has some jobs.

Last edited by JMT; 02-22-2012 at 02:37 PM..

Old 11-05-2011, 12:23 PM

375 posts, read 914,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amkm0712 View Post
... (We both have some health issues that are affected by the constant weather changes)...
^^^ I'm still pondering what this means. It's warmer here than WI but no one has ever accused us of having stable weather.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:02 PM

363 posts, read 398,155 times
Default Middle TN info

Quote:
Originally Posted by amkm0712 View Post
Hello, My husband and I are looking to move from northern WI to TN in a couple of years. The winters here are getting too rough for the both of us. (We both have some health issues that are affected by the constant weather changes). We are looking around the southern middle of the state, maybe in the Lynchburg or Tullahoma area.

What are some good towns or cities (not too big) in that area? We like the small town life, but also need to be close to hospitals, shopping and employment. (My husband is currently an auto tech., but his body will not let him do that work for long, so not sure yet what he wants to do).
We also enjoy the outdoors, fishing in particular, so maybe somewhere near water.

Sorry if this is alot, but just starting our research.

Thanks for any info you can give.
Hello amkm0712, I just saw your post and thought I would respond as I live not too far from Tullahoma (Coffee County). We are in McMinnville, about 45 miles east of Tullahoma. I live in Warren County and work in Manchester (county seat of Coffee County). Manchester and Tullahoma are about 15 miles apart. Manchester sits on I-24 and is the home to the Bonnaroo music festival, if you have ever heard of that.

We are retired truck drivers who have been all over the USA and moved here from Arizona. We found middle TN to be the best place to live, considering weather, cost of living, and proximity to fishing. We originally looked at Tullahoma, but ended up buying our house in McMinnville.

You can do a search on city-data for more info on Tullahoma as far as population, elevation, and all other particulars. It is next to Winchester which has Tim's Ford lake, an excellent fishing lake. There is also Normandy Lake next to Tullahoma, and a host of smaller other lakes.

We like small-town living too. McMinnville and Tullahoma have about the same population. Both towns have lots of restaurants; shopping is not that fantastic, but Murfreesboro is about 30 miles north of Manchester and has all the shopping you could ever ask for. But Murfreesboro is about 150,000 and growing. Tullahoma has a good hospital (Harton Regional) and Murfreesboro has a brand new Middle TN Medical Center.

In McMinnville, we are 30 minutes from 5 lakes; a big deciding factor in buying our house here. Center Hill Lake is about 20 miles north of McMinnville; just east of McMinnville is Rock Island State Park where you can fish on the Caney Fork River. All this area is beautiful, lots of hardwood trees. In fall, the color is spectacular. The Great Smoky Mountains are about an hour east of here and have the towns of Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, a vacation destination beyond anything I've ever experienced.

Tennessee is full of natural beauty and history. It has friendly people and great food. There are a lot of little towns to explore. We are between Nashville and Chattanooga, so if there is something you need in the "big city," it's only about an hour and a half away. (We usually don't go anywhere on the freeway; after being truck drivers, we avoid it like the plague!! lol)

We live about 3 miles out of town in a small subdivision. Our house is 1400 sq. ft., and sits on 1/2 acre. I just paid our property taxes for 2011 and they were $460. I know that is much less than a lot of other places I read about here.

I don't know what age you guys are, but if you are close to retirement age or thinking about retirement, you might want to check out the retirement forum. That's usually where I hang out and read. There is so much information that people post about where they are thinking about retiring. It's just interesting reading about different parts of the country.

Hope this wasn't too long and hope I gave you some information you were looking for. Feel free to ask anything else. We've been here five years. Oh! One other thing that I didn't mention: the only negative thing I can say about middle TN is the humidity in the summer. For me, it is terrible. My idea of summer is being outside for activities or just sitting, but the heat and humidity makes it prohibitive for me. I just can't take it the older I get.

tngirl

Old 11-05-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarddawg View Post
^^^ I'm still pondering what this means. It's warmer here than WI but no one has ever accused us of having stable weather.
I will give you an example. Earlier this year, all in one day, we had fog, sun, rain, hail and snow. Actually, the morning started with fog, then rain and hail, then the sun came out and a couple of hours later, it snowed. This was from say 8-9:00 in the morning to 4:30 in the afternoon. Another example would be highs in the 60's all week (in May) then Saturday morning we woke up to no power due to a overnight icestorm.
We have the changing of the seasons as you do, but we can change to all 4 seasons in just a day or week.
Also, right now it's 48 degrees (which is not cold for us) and I can feel it aching in my bones and my husbands bones are aching and his asthma is starting to act up with the colder weather approaching. We are looking to move to a warmer climate, one that doesn't get below 20 degrees or below 0 for months on end. (Winters here are Nov.-May, sometimes June)

I did do a search (after I found how to, lol) for Tullahoma and found some more info on it. Sounds like a nice place. We are hoping to visit next spring as my husband is in love with Phoenix boats and wants to tour the factory and do some sight seeing in the area.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:19 PM

Thank you tngirl205.

I will do some research on the McMinnville area. I am 39 and a stay at home wife (actually I am waiting on a disabilty hearing for my health issues) and my husband just turned 40.

Having someplace close to a good hospital is crucial for us and I heard the hospital in Tullahoma was a good one. But being close to shopping is also crucial (for me, haha). Right now we live in a town of maybe 2000 people and shopping is 45 minutes away (closest Walmart, everything else is over an hour) as is my husbands job. We are hoping he can find work closer to home. He has a hard time at times driving 45 minutes one way. (due to health issues).

Thank you again for responding, I'm sure I'll have more questions. (Just can think of any right now. lol)

Old 11-05-2011, 01:32 PM

22,514 posts, read 45,628,466 times
Also bear in mind that the cities in the South can be much smaller than what most Northeners are use to. We live in Knoxville and it has the feel of a very large town. I prefer a small town but this is a great fit for me. If you get too far out you may end up needing services and good healthcare and will find neither.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or