U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 02:43 PM

12,718 posts, read 12,009,959 times

Advertisements

The clip was on CBS Sunday Morning show last week. I have written and gotten no where with the location. It's some where on the Tennessee ~ North Carolina boarder..
If you know the location please let me and every one else know this looks like a beautiful place to explorer.
You have to click on lower link.... sorry about the advertisement it takes a few seconds to load.

CBS News Sunday Morning - Fall along the Tennessee/North Carolina border - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 11:37 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,331,684 times
It almost could be anywhere near here in the Smoky Mountains (the lower elevations are at peak right now) but the presence of the Elk at this time of year means the most likely in the Cataloochee or Oconaluftee part of the park. There are directions, pictures and descriptions on the following web pages:

Historic Buildings in Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Great Smoky Mountains National Park - Elk Progress Report, July 2011 (U.S. National Park Service)

Old 11-08-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
It almost could be anywhere near here in the Smoky Mountains (the lower elevations are at peak right now) but the presence of the Elk at this time of year means the most likely in the Cataloochee or Oconaluftee part of the park. There are directions, pictures and descriptions on the following web pages:

Historic Buildings in Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Great Smoky Mountains National Park - Elk Progress Report, July 2011 (U.S. National Park Service)
Thanks... for info. I was looking at the water falls as a reference point.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:18 PM

2,292 posts, read 1,564,593 times
I wonder if the falls could be, The Bald River Falls?
There are so many places that the elk and turkey could be located. If you find out let us know.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:32 PM
Status: "You've grown up really crazy! - Eisley" (set 4 days ago)

21,686 posts, read 32,016,902 times
Anywhere in the Appalachian Mountains is great, really.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:29 PM

I was guess maybe in the Cherohala Parkway area.. never been on the Parkway. Maybe an off road..I have looked at a number of water falls for reference but nothing matches so far.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:01 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,331,684 times
I've been on and around the Cherohala Skyway and haven't seen that particular combination of open area, waterfall and elk. It does look similar to the open fields found around Cade's Cove. The Elk have been repopulated to a fairly small area of the park and they seem to return to those valley areas (the ones in the links) for the mating season. That's why I suspect your best bet is that area of the park. Cades Cove is over used and high traffic so I avoid it even in off season but there are parts of it that look similar as well.

The Cherohala looks most like the Blue Ridge Parkway with pullouts and vistas but no open fields like those in the video clip close to the parkway. Most of that area is still dense forest, even along some of the side roads you can wander around on (with a map!!!!). The Skyway is a beautiful drive but I would hesitate to recommend it from now until mid spring since there has already been snow up there and it is pretty isolated with no cell service for emergencies. All of the upper 2/3 of the mountains are gray now and the last of the color is at its peak in the lower elevations and valleys with some gorgeous oak trees in golden oranges.

The Cherohala Skyway

Cherohala Skyway

Road Trip: Cherohala Skyway -- National Geographic

Waterfalls, mostly small ones, can be found everywhere, often right along roads but where you can't pullover safely to take a picture.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:12 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,494,810 times
It could be multiple locations edited together. One shot at the waterfall, a few of the turkey/elk.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:39 AM

325 posts, read 375,966 times
I believe, my best guess, is that this is the Pisgah Game Lands in NC and the Elk Rivers Fall in TN. One road, Elk River Road, takes you to both. Well, the road ends in TN (near a huge open field) and then a long trail to the Falls. It's near Laurel Fork Park in TN. Gorgeous drive!!!
Go do a Google Earth view or Satellite view.

Also, you could probably find lots of videos on youtube with the Elk in this area.

Edited to add, this is near the tri cities area in TN... long drive, but closet in relation to what people would know.

Last edited by Blue502; 11-17-2011 at 09:40 AM.. Reason: location

Old 11-17-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue502 View Post
I believe, my best guess, is that this is the Pisgah Game Lands in NC and the Elk Rivers Fall in TN. One road, Elk River Road, takes you to both. Well, the road ends in TN (near a huge open field) and then a long trail to the Falls. It's near Laurel Fork Park in TN. Gorgeous drive!!!
Go do a Google Earth view or Satellite view.

Also, you could probably find lots of videos on youtube with the Elk in this area.

Edited to add, this is near the tri cities area in TN... long drive, but closet in relation to what people would know.
Thanks Just checking it looks like Jones Falls in Carter County..just a stones throw from Elk River Falls..
http://web.eecs.utk.edu/~dunigan/landforms/ once open click on water falls... then go too Carter County and Jones Falls or Elk River Falls which is in NC..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee