Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 09:52 AM

105 posts, read 270,158 times

Advertisements

It's actually not a big difference. Our electricity is cheaper in the summer, but you don't have winter heating bills. Your phone bill is cheaper than mine. It's hard to say for sure, but I think your property taxes are about double what they would be in TN. Gas is about $2.40 right now. I guess TN is a bit cheaper, but this place isn't quite a utopia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2006, 10:36 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,276,227 times
I would say, matching what you said with my own bills, that gas, food and phone run about the same, but as far as property, property taxes and insurance....MUCH CHEAPER here in TN. Electric and water also cheaper. I am too a Fl transplant. I would never go back, it is not just the cost of living, but quality of living, I enjoy life here as do my family. My parents followed me to, we both kinda kick ourselves a little bit as we look back at property values in FL and know if we waited a year or two, we would have made a bundle on our Fl homes, but money isn't everything. My kids are in good schools and we can afford to enjoy life here in TN.

Old 09-12-2006, 11:24 AM

212 posts, read 921,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insanesmooch View Post
I've never lived in SW FL, but I can tell you rounded off figures of what my family in Knoxville pays. Like cable is about $50 for expanded (more than basic channels, but not like the movie channels). Water is around $20 a month. Electric probably averages around $100 when you consider much less heating/cooling is used in Spring and Fall. The phone bill is about $20 or so with taxes and fees.
Is the water that much less expensive in Knoxville versus Johnson City? Quote above is much higher ($65) than $20 per month.

Old 09-12-2006, 11:57 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,276,227 times
Something you have to consider when talking about water bills in East TN. Some include sewage if you are hooked up to city sewage. I have a septic tank, so cheaper. Last month my water bill was $14.23, but someone with city sewage included in there water bill may have paid $60.00 or more.

Old 09-12-2006, 12:19 PM

132 posts, read 589,521 times
It's hard for me to accuratley compare TN to SW FL. I do own a home in both places. But live full time in SW FL. Last months electric bill in Fl was $311.00. But with 3 kids, 2 refridgerators, 3 freezers and a swimming pool and smokin' hot weather you have to expect it. TN electric bill last monthe was $56.00. Electric in the winter in FL runs about $190.00 or so. Gas for heat in TN last Winter was about $1300 for the season. Phone service in TN is cheaper, about $60 which includes DSL but has no bells and whistles like call waiting, voice mail or caller ID. Basic Cable in FL runs about $95 with cable modem for the internet. Home owners insurance in TN is $351.00 a year compared to $2900.00 in FL. Gas is always about $.20 cheaper in TN. Food seems to be the same. Taxes are cheaper in TN about a 1/10th at least in my case.
And for Mr. Bighead, There is a SW Florida. It is located down on the bottom to the left.

Old 09-12-2006, 07:00 PM

408 posts, read 1,974,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tismekll View Post
Is the water that much less expensive in Knoxville versus Johnson City? Quote above is much higher ($65) than $20 per month.
As mbmouse said, adding in the sewer (is that spelled right?) may be the difference. Now in Knoxville many places have added sewer lines, but you don't have to hook up. Though you do have to pay like an extra $10 whether you hook up or not. My mom is on a septic tank so at least the actual water part is $20 or sometimes less, but it is probably about $30 or so now that they added that charge to her. If you use the sewer line, I'm sure it would cost more.

I'm in a small Northeast TN town and my water bill was $11 and some change. We have a septic tank here.

Old 09-13-2006, 06:26 AM

338 posts, read 1,443,263 times
My water/sewer bill in Upstate NY for 3 months (3 kids-2 teenagers!) is $135.00, TN taxes are cheaper but their insurances are higher than here in Up.NY--so we are switching taxes for insurance. Our house is over 2000 sq. ft. and our home insurance is 400 plus a year...in town...but our taxes are (with the STAR program)$1800.00 year. Heating this house is another $2500.00 from October to end of April.

Old 09-13-2006, 09:32 AM

94 posts, read 386,802 times
Thumbs up Utility costs

As a general rule, water for towns/communities that get their raw water source from (surface water) such as a river is going to cost more than towns that get their water from wells. My town Pikeville has wells that doesn't require an extensive treatment process.

Surface water treatment plants are more complex in design and usually require added chemicals in the treatment process-thus more expense.

For wastewater treatment fees most utilites here charge about the same as your water bill. So they are basically just taking your water bill and doubling it to get a water/sewer fee. If you have a septic tank...you just pay the basic water fee here. (most cities require you to connect if a line is available)

Supposedly we have some of the cheapest electric rates in the country. I've never done a comparison, but I would hope that all the hydro, fossil, and 3 nuke plants operated by TVA would help us locals some.

I have a 1700 sq. ft home--no shade--and I keep my thermostat at 60. (Can't stand heat) My last bill was $197. I don't think that is bad since I'm basically running a meat locker.

Heat wise I just filled my 325 gallon propane tank to 70% for $1.99 per gallon. This will heat my whole house til around february--then I will refill and make it through the rest of the winter on that refill. (if we don't fall into the ice age again)

I'm not sure how this will compare for others because I have a custom built house with 2x6 exterior walls and twice the specified attic insulation. I have enough windows on the southern side of the house to help heat by solar as well.

I think my taxes are around $600 yearly. That is for my house, a 16 x 80 mobile home, and 8.08 acres. I'd be afraid to see what this would be taxed at in florida. Kerry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee