Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2011, 03:46 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

Failure to dim bright lights.

A broken taillight.

No seat belt.

Those are just some of the minor traffic infractions motorists are being pulled over for in Cocke County by one of its constables.

And for every one of those offenses, $22 goes into Derek Wright's pocket.

Tennessee constables aren't salaried, but they can make money » Knoxville News Sentinel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 05:47 AM

712 posts, read 1,487,846 times
Dont break the law- and you should have nothing to worry about. Life is pretty simple.

Constables are elected officials- if Cocke County residents do not like this- vote him out.

Finally, in a backwards way all law enforcement is similar- its just hidden. The county and states need money to fund law enforcement and everything else- and one way they get it is from citations. Less citations = less funds = less services/lower pay for employees.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:39 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Where I lived in Florida - Lee County - they would have contests. One with the most citations could win a golf outing, hunting or fishing trip, all kinds of goodies.

But Cocke County is a special place, one of the most corrupt small-town governments in the country and it goes back for generations. Cocke County Confidential Information & News from Knoxville News Sentinel (Knoxville, TN)

Old 11-28-2011, 10:30 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,332,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Failure to dim bright lights.

A broken taillight.

No seat belt.

Those are just some of the minor traffic infractions motorists are being pulled over for in Cocke County by one of its constables.

And for every one of those offenses, $22 goes into Derek Wright's pocket.

Tennessee constables aren't salaried, but they can make money » Knoxville News Sentinel
Failure to dim bright lights can be a hazard, but it should be a warning...that can be an easy one that you don't realize you are doing.

But a broken taillight? If they didn't ticket people for that, some people would never bother to fix them.

No seat belt? That's an obvious one. They've been harping on that really hard for the past decade or so. People should know better by now. Plus, it's a good habit.

Do I like the idea of paying officers of the law via commission? No. I think it would have the tendency to lead to overzealous officers writing more tickets and having zero tolerance for people going barely over the speed limit, or stopping a couple of feet past the line an intersection, etc. in order to make a little more money (or in some cases, really just to make ends meet).

But it should be noted that per the article, it doesn't look like any of these guys are getting rich off of it. I'd be a lot more concerned if officers were pocketing $60-70,000 over this....rather than $19,000. From the positive side of it...these guys actually have to work to get paid.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:43 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
They are not suppose to have incentives for those very reasons. The Lee County, FL cops were stopping everyone for anything; many, many say for nothing. I was stopped a couple of times for no reason at all, like he was fishing. Fortunately I didn't get tickets but it was beyond ridiculous. Finally the incentive situation was brought to light and it was stopped.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:50 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,471,263 times
I think the incentive issue is problematic at best, but nashvols' point about them not getting rich is well-taken. That said, I could see where the potential for abuse or excessive ticketing is a real possibility. There should be some level of oversight...let's face it...when "good" voter turnout is 20%, I seriously doubt most people are engaged or informed enough to make a decision on who to vote for Constable. So voter oversight is probably not effective. But having a county or statewide commission or something of that nature to appeal to would be wise, I think.

Honestly, I'd never seen nor heard of a Constable until about 2 years ago...and if he'd tried to pull me over, I'd have been very cautious and tried to pull over in high traffic area. Sheriff...sure, Police...of course, but "Constable" sounds like a madeup title someone could use to try to shakedown people.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:01 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,471,263 times
Follow up: Sumner County (NE of Davidson/Nashville) voted to strip Constables of their legal powers, effective next August. I wouldn't be surprised if other counties don't follow their lead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee