U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 10:24 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,030,170 times

Advertisements

Another vote for Knoxville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 08:07 AM

2,063 posts, read 6,233,738 times
You didn't specify the type of community or population size. If you want to stay within a city I agree Knoxville is a good choice. If you wanted something in a smaller setting then you have been describing Maryville, a small "city" of about 30,000 that is a suburb of Knoxville. It feels and looks more like a suburban town than a city. It has highly regarded schools, an excellent football program and feels quite safe to me. It is in the non touristy shadow of the Smoky Mountains National park and offers lots of outdoor activities. Meth labs are everywhere in the country these days and we hear news here simply because there is a task force working at eliminating it. Maryville does not seem to have a real problem with it.

For your son's football interest: Maryville's Rebels seem to be a top contender in football and have been for years.

Herald Citizen - BLUECROSS BOWL Rebels roll to 13th title

There is an active Catholic Church just north of the city line in Alcoa: OLOF HOME PAGE

Some possible hiking information in the following links. You can get to just about all of the trails listed in under 2 hours. The 1st link shows where Maryville is relative to the park and tails and the second lists how to get to various trails and their difficulty levels and lengths.

Great Smoky Mountains Map - Topographical Map of the Smokies

Gatlinburg hiking trails - Smoky Mountains trails near Gatlinburg

For biking there are a lot of bikers out on the roads here but a safer alternative is the beautiful green-way shared by Maryville and Alcoa:
http://www.knoxtrans.org/plans/bikep...ps/blount2.pdf

Maryville Alcoa Greenway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are tons of restaurants in and around the immediate area and within a 35 minute card drive you have access to most of the ones in Knoxville. An older movie theater is in the process of being replaced by a brand new state of the art one in the mall in Maryville. As to shopping there is a small mall in town. We have the standard box stores (K-Mart, 2 Walmarts, Target, Home Depot, Lowes). Within a half hour drive you can be on Kingston Pike which has miles of stores from the Turkey Creek complex to the West Knox shopping meccas with every chain represented and lots of more local stores. That same 1/2 hour can also take you into downtown Knoxville.

I hope that covers some of the interests you mentioned.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:53 AM

11,597 posts, read 31,739,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicstyle View Post
Hello.

We are a small family of 4. My husband took early retirement (really early) and we have a teenage son who will be going into high school in the fall of 2012.

We are looking for a community that is safe. That is our number 1 priority. A great High School Education for our son is next on our list. My boy does well in school, loves sports, especially football and will be going to college.

We want a relatively modern home (for rent at first) and a nice community to raise our son. We like to go to movies and sporting events. We do restaurants and like shopping. We love fishing and camping and hiking. We love to walk on trails and go bike riding. I love to get my hair and nails done and hang out with girlfriends. We are animal lovers and very kind people, we are trusting and helpful.

We are Irish/catholic. We know that catholic churches are rare, and it is not an absolute necessity, but we would sure like to fit into a welcoming community.

I mentioned before that safety is our 1st priority. We don't want to deal with Gangs or Drugs. We are from Chicago and there are parts of town here that you would not be caught dead in. (You would really be dead if you went through some of them.) We don't want to be anywhere near the ghetto or the "hood". We worry about drugs just like all parents do. I have heard that "meth" is a problem so we are worried about that, some communities up here are rampant with it.

Our son is a clean cut, blue eyed, blond haired football star, with his whole life ahead of him and we want to keep him safe at all costs. He loves sports and his family and we want to give him the best life we can. We are hoping that TN is the right place to do just that.

Our income is such that an ideal rental for us would cost about $1500 for a 3 bedroom/2ba home. We are considering Signal Mountain but we are worried it will be hard to find a rental home there.

Please give us some info on the communities you think we should look into.

Thanks, CS
If you plan on returning to Chicago to visit or have friends from there come visit you, you might want to consider sticking close to Nashvile. The airports in Knoxville, Chattanooga, and the Tri Cities are outrageously expensive. Nashville is a hub for Southwest Airlines so it has a couple hundred very cheap flights every day to all over the country. In all, there are 18 daily nonstop flights between Nashville and Chicago's two airports.

Tennessee's lottery funds college scholarships for those who graduate from Tennessee high schools. If you live in a college town, and your son lives at home while going to college, his college expenses will be very, very reasonable, and if he gets additional academic scholarships he could even make money while going to college.

With all of that in mind, Cookeville is an excellent choice. It's a town of 30,000 surrounded by lakes, waterfalls, and several of Tennessee's most popular state parks with miles and miles of beautiful hiking trails, camp sites, swimming holes, etc. Cookeville is home to Tennessee Tech University, a non-party school of 12,000 students that churns out outstanding graduates who have the highest salaries among graduates of all of Tennessee's public universities. Cookeville is an hour from the Nashville airport.

Being home to a mid-major university also means that Cookeville offers all kinds of amenities that most towns its size don't have: two symphonies, several theater organizations, concerts, NCAA sporting events, art galleries, shopping, and oodles of restaurants.

There is a large Catholic church in Cookeville as well as a very active Catholic student organization: St. Thomas Aquinas Church - Cookeville, TN

Cookeville High School is an excellent school that not only has an excellent athletics department, it is also one of only a small handful of schools in the state with the International Baccalaureate Program. Home

And you can definitely find large homes in your price range in Cookeville.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession

Last edited by JMT; 12-06-2011 at 09:03 AM..

Old 12-09-2011, 08:32 AM

11 posts, read 22,415 times
Murfreesboro has a local Catholic high school, the state's largest under-graduate university (MTSU) and football is almost a sickness (addiction) here. You could easily find housing in your price range.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:41 AM

6 posts, read 8,979 times
If you are considering the chattanooga area I would recommend signal mtn. The hs up here is great and the community is wonderful. It's a small town feel with easy (small) city access. As for the airport, we've gotten spoiled by the smallness of cha, we used to drive to nashville or atl but not anymore, tho we don't have swa, we were finding prices to get out west were usually abt the same out of chat w/o the drive to atl. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have, we thought we'd onky be here 3 years but found when we "could" leave, we didn't WANT to. Hope this helps!

Old 12-27-2011, 11:18 AM

33,929 posts, read 32,343,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicstyle View Post
Hello.

We are a small family of 4. My husband took early retirement (really early) and we have a teenage son who will be going into high school in the fall of 2012.

We are looking for a community that is safe. That is our number 1 priority. A great High School Education for our son is next on our list. My boy does well in school, loves sports, especially football and will be going to college.

We want a relatively modern home (for rent at first) and a nice community to raise our son. We like to go to movies and sporting events. We do restaurants and like shopping. We love fishing and camping and hiking. We love to walk on trails and go bike riding. I love to get my hair and nails done and hang out with girlfriends. We are animal lovers and very kind people, we are trusting and helpful.

We are Irish/catholic. We know that catholic churches are rare, and it is not an absolute necessity, but we would sure like to fit into a welcoming community.

I mentioned before that safety is our 1st priority. We don't want to deal with Gangs or Drugs. We are from Chicago and there are parts of town here that you would not be caught dead in. (You would really be dead if you went through some of them.) We don't want to be anywhere near the ghetto or the "hood". We worry about drugs just like all parents do. I have heard that "meth" is a problem so we are worried about that, some communities up here are rampant with it.

Our son is a clean cut, blue eyed, blond haired football star, with his whole life ahead of him and we want to keep him safe at all costs. He loves sports and his family and we want to give him the best life we can. We are hoping that TN is the right place to do just that.

Our income is such that an ideal rental for us would cost about $1500 for a 3 bedroom/2ba home. We are considering Signal Mountain but we are worried it will be hard to find a rental home there.

Please give us some info on the communities you think we should look into.

Thanks, CS
You didn't mention the size of town. Are you looking for a city, suburban or rural environment? Population range? When you say "sporting events" are you talking about professional, college or high school? What sport? You come from a very large city. What kind of shopping variety are you looking for? Does someone need a job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee