U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2011, 11:25 AM

15 posts, read 37,146 times

Advertisements

My husband is being relocated to the Jackson area for work. His office is toward the west side of town, and we'll be looking for a country home. We're coming from a town of 8000 people in Wisconsin, so I think it's safe to assume we'll have a bit of culture shock! We have 3 children under the age of 6 that we homeschool. I'm looking for some insight into the area. What's available for the kids, shopping, dining, entertainment, etc. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 10:04 AM

628 posts, read 1,419,558 times
Since you're coming from a small town of 8,000 you shouldn't be disappointed with amenities. Jackson, TN is the core of a 3-county Combined Statistical Area over 160,000 in population.

Neighborhoods in the northwest part of the city extending out into Madison County are affluent with some good choices for private schools like USJ, but you mentioned that you home school your children, so no problems there. The area has plenty of shopping like "The Columns" which is located at Hwy 45 Bypass & I-40 and the Old Hickory Mall.

Jackson has a minor league baseball team, the "Generals" which play in a very nice stadium, Pringles Park. It is viewable from I-40 on the northeast side of the city. That area is seeing a lot of development with a baseball tournament sportsplex, new hotels, restaurants, etc.

You'll have occasional concerts at the Oman Arena, Pringles Park & Carl Perkins Civic Center. There's a large family entertainment center/ bowling alley on the Hwy 45 Bypass on the north side of the city with arcades, batting cages, go-carts, etc.

Historic downtown is on the south side of the city and has seen some great revitalization, but stay away from southeast Jackson as this area has crime/poverty issues.

You'll have some nice outdoors options in the area too. Lake Graham is east of Jackson and has great fishing, plenty of room for boating, etc. Cypress Grove Nature Park is on the southwest side and has boardwalks over wetlands & lake with a sanctuary for birds of prey. Pinson Mounds state park is located just south of the city and has huge complex of burial mounds built by the ancient Woodlands Native Americans around the time of Christ. Chickasaw state park is located about 45 minutes southwest of the city and is popular for cookouts, camping, etc.

That's some stuff that comes to mind, but I'm familiar with the area. So, if you have any further ?'s just ask away.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:45 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,890,538 times
many activities for families through the local ymca, e.g. swimming, yoga, dance, tennis to name a few. other activities include classes for applied art for children and adults through union university, the local parks and recreation system employs a full time director of actives. they are involved in many activities centered around boating, fishing, camping, skiing, soccer, baseball, softball, basketball. there is a quilting group, a sewing center and crafts, etc. music lessons, voice lessons, and the junior league for the symphony, learning the suzuki method of playing strings, choral society, jackson arts council, ballet lessons, tap, modern, ballroom dance. karate lessons and other martial arts lessons, cultural activities involving balmasque, and much more. there are knights of columbus, dar, eyc, ecw, and many religous organizations and civic organizations. there should be little to want for in relation to activities for you and your children. you can float the buffalo river in the morning, and in the evening you may attend a symphony concert that has been catered by gourmet chefs or you may set up your own dining experience, and hear a concert of live music by dione warwick, former high-ranking u.s. officials such as presidents, generals, educators, authors, musicians, and astronauts. there is a major comedy club located in jackson, a large country club, if that is important to you, 7 golf courses, and several high end retail stores, national brand stores, and many national hotel/motel chains and restaurants. depending on where you live in the city---i think you said you were wanting something on the west side of the city---you are only 2 minutes from the interstate, I-40 and 45 to 50 minutes to wolfchase galleria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee