U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-27-2009, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,354 times
I can answer all your questions for you....Norris is an amazing place to live, and is more amazing to have a family here. It is a small town, has its own police station, fire department, post office, all within walking distance from each other. Norris is picture perfect, a town you would see on the movies!!! Now to your questions, as far as grocery stores you are no more than 2-3 minutes away from them, plus you have a super walmart that just got put in thats about 3 min. away, Stores for clothes is anywhere from 3-15 minutes away...There is a small outdoor shopping center on the main road about 3 minutes from there or you can get on the interstate and be at west or east town mall within 15-20 minutes, that is whats so great about norris is that you have the convience of everything without living in the mist of it. It truely is an amazing place to live, throughout the whole nieborhood is a walking trail, goes in front of all the houses and circles to everyone, also has many parks inside the community with a wateing pool, also has a small wet land for kids to enjoy. Another thing nice about it is the Commons, its a huge open area in the center of town, they have weekly activites for the community, also have a weekly farmers market there, on friday nights they have a family concerts there, norris also has it own schools which is AMAZING, its the perfect place to be...truely...Thanks Tasha
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 04:31 PM

283 posts, read 470,020 times
Norris Lake is huge in that it has lots and lots of 'fingers' and is long and narrow. The quality of 'ruralness' varies from place to place on it. There is a lot of truly rural area around the lake, with some small towns. Pretty much every halfway decent sized town has a Wallys. You can't avoid them. The town of Norris is charming. LaFollette is more like a coal town. Tazewell is pretty equivalent to LaFollette. The other towns around the lake are even smaller. Most people, even up in Tazewell & LaFollette, go to Knoxville for the big shopping and services. A lot commute to Knoxville daily for work.

In general, lakefront property is hard to get and to live on because it is steep (remember, they flooded several local rivers and streams to make the lake). There are resort developments on several of the finger areas that probably have a lot of amenities. Don't know, never been to the developments. The closer you get to the lake, the more it will cost you. My place is on the north side, in an actual farming area, but my property is only about 10 minutes drive to a couple of marina/resort/boat ramps.

Unless you have a lot of money and are buying there for fun, life can be hard. High unemployment, few jobs, long commutes to the city, not a lot of selection for stores and services, small hospitals. All the stuff that makes rural living great.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:04 PM

8 posts, read 8,710 times
Hi to all
I think I have found the place my husband and I would love to
live...Norris!!
Is there a VFW and VA hospital in Norris or at least close
by...my husband loves to volunteer...
We r retired and on fixed incomes would we b able to afford
to live in Norris?
We would b relocating from Sacramento, CA...
What hospitals r nearby and how far away?
Where would I go to see pictures of Norris?
I was concerned as I read on one of the websites there
is limited housing avail...
We would want to rent at first and we have a sm. dog
as well as a German Shephard...is Norris a dog friendly
town...we r responsible and caring dog owners...
I love older homes and gardening...
Are there small farms/acerages avail
to rent?
What does rent average in Norris?
Are there places one can ride horses?
Off leash dog parks?
Can anyone guide me to some good
websites?
What of Tornado activity?

Thank-you for your time...

CalgStampeders

Old 02-27-2010, 08:13 AM

1,511 posts, read 3,440,445 times
CalgStampeders, I think any town w/ a population of 1,500 will have very few rental options, especially a slow-growth place like Norris, but you might want to contact the city directly and see if they could steer you in the right direction: Norris, TN (http://www.cityofnorris.org/contact_us/contact.html - broken link). You could also try the Anderson Co. Chamber of Commerce at 865-457-2559.

List of VA facilities in TN; the nearest VA medical center is 120 miles away, in Johnson City (Mountain Home):
Facilities in Tennessee - Locations

There's a VFW post in Lake City, just a few miles from Norris. Their phone number is 865-426-4538‎.

The closest hospital is in Powell (Mercy Medical Center North, formerly named St. Mary's MC North), about 15 min. from Norris.

Per City-Data.com, Norris-area historical tornado activity is below Tennessee state average. It is 1% greater than the overall U.S. average.

On 2/21/1993, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 8.8 miles away from the Norris city center injured 3 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.

On 11/10/2002, a category 3 tornado 23.7 miles away from the city center killed 7 people and injured 28 people and caused $970,000 in damages.

Did you see this piece on Norris in the NY Times?
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/21/gr...=2&ref=escapes

Havens: Norris, Tenn. - The New York Times > Great Homes and Destinations > Slide Show > Slide 1 of 11
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee