Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 12:39 PM

25 posts, read 47,040 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I already posted a thread regarding the schools in TN, but I am wondering...which city in TN would be best for us?

My husband and 3 boys ages 14y, 11y, & 10y are relocating to TN. I have never been to TN before, so I really have no idea about the state besides second hand.

We are from CA - I am Mexican/Irish, my husband is Puerto Rican, and my boys are all Mexican (with a smidge of Irish - my oldest boy has red hair!)

Also - my husband and I are Vegan/Vegetarian.

We are mainly concerned about schools and generally being accepted. I am more concerned about my kids being accepted.

My husband is a Veterinarian and I am a Veterinary Nurse.

Is it possible to live a little outside the city - more in the country and have a reasonable drive into a city?

Thank you all ahead of time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 05:08 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
I'm from the northeast, but I am used to very, very small towns. I rented out in the country of Knox County but ended up buying in the city limits and loving it.

Knoxville, Chattanooga and Johnson City feel like more large towns. In Knoxville, about 10 minutes in any direction and you are in rural areas. You might want to check out those three "cities" and get a feel for the area before deciding on one.

I love Knoxville but I originally had my heart set on Chattanooga. It's best to visit. No one can ultimately decide, but you.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:32 PM

44 posts, read 108,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
In Knoxville, about 10 minutes in any direction and you are in rural areas.
About the same as Chatt.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:33 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,520,245 times
The city that makes you feel like home.. the feeling only you will know and understand. I urge every one thinking about moving.. research -research-research -research-.. and when you think you have found "THAT PLACE" pack the family or your self up and spend time there... camp ~ hotel. Find the greasy spoon restaurant where the locals hang out.. listen and you will here.. ask questions.. Go to the local chamber of commerce or write the local chamber... visit the local library.. ask question.. go by the school.. go by the house of worship..find the parks. Walk the super market check out the price of food.. check out the apartments.. check out the work situation.. you will know. Research Research... check out the hospitals and local community activities... and also have some fun on your vacation. Take picture and more pictures.. post them and ask questions...

Master list of all Chamber of Commerces in the State of Tennessee.. http://www.2chambers.com/tennesse2.htm
I would highly recommended setting up a bogus e-mail address and name and writing the Chamber for information and be specific. This way you get to choose who and whom you contact..

Old 02-16-2010, 11:17 PM

Thank you so much for your replies!
Yes, we are going to make a visit sometime soon....I just don't know anything about Tennessee!

It's not something we expected!

Thanks again!

If anyone else has any thought please share!

Old 02-17-2010, 07:52 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,484,450 times
We dont know what exactly it is you want. Small town? Big city? Mountains? The best school districts? Is your vet practice geared toward large or small animals? If you could be more specific maybe we can narrow it down to one of the three distinct regions of Tennessee.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:09 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
I agree, you didn't give us a lot to go on. You may love Memphis, Clarksville, Cookeville, Nashville, Chatty, Knox, Johnson City, Jackson...

Old 02-17-2010, 10:02 PM

Hi again!

Thanks guys for being so helpful!

Ok - I would say we are looking for a smaller town that isnt too far of a drive from a bigger city. Where we are now the (The SF Bay Area in Cali) houses are so close I can hear my neighbors kids running on their hardwood floors...so a place with a good size yard would be nice. We also have two dogs in addition to the 3 boys...
Schools are also a very high priority...the school district over here is terrible.

The two big cities I was looking at living near were Nashville or Knoxville. I was looking at Cookeville because I read that the schools were good - but it is an hour away from Nashville, right?

So, now I am in the process of trying to find a little city outside one of these cities - and I am not sure which is more suitable for us - Nashville or Knoxville.....

When I first found out we had to relocate to TN, I was a little scared since it is somewhere I know NOTHING about really...but upon all my research I have been doing, it looks like a beautiful place! And may actually be a blessing for my family!

Family farms nearby that you can purchase from are a plus - fresh food from the local land is unbeatable no matter where you are! Or if there is a local Farmers Market or something like that..

Um..ok, thats all I can think of for now. We are trying to narrow it down so we can get some tickets to fly out there!

Nashville area? Or Knoxville Area?

Thanks sooooo much!

Old 02-17-2010, 10:05 PM

Oh - and my husband is a small animal veterinarian (dogs, cats) - he doesnt have a practice and would be looking for a job (me as well)......

Thanks!

Old 02-17-2010, 10:33 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Well, once again, our cities are very different than most of the north and southwest. For instance, I live on a half acre and I am in the city. I also have 24 well-established trees, including three enormous oaks that are probably 100 years old, if not older, on my lot. You may not have to find a small town outside of a larger city. Cities like Knoxville, Chattanooga are not that big. Other areas such as over in the Tri-Cities have larger towns, really. Not cities at all.

I don't understand how you have to move to Tennessee, but will need jobs. Perhaps it is a family issue? Anyhow, if you are looking for jobs, you will want to stick to the cities as well, such as Knoxville and Chattanooga.

I love Knoxville, but I live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee