Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 07:22 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times

Advertisements

How about Three Way outside of Memphis? Add that to Cocke Co,Hancock Co and the already talked about: Sugar Tit, Harry Orgain, and Sodom......Bible belt....yea right, kinda like acting surprised and say "oh, I though this was the pharmacy" when you see someone from your church in the liquor store. LOL!!
There is a Rosco Fitz Rd here in Grey.
There is Muddy Creek and Stoney Creek.
I love the name Hungry Mother State Park just up the rd in VA.
As for the "fluffy" names JMT was talking about I always though of Strawberry Plains that way.
Bean Station and Bulls Gap always makes me ponder there name origin.
Crab Orchard.........orachard is trees.....crabs are in the ocean, how did the two get mixed into one name?
And Soddy-Daisy?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 07:56 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
How about Three Way outside of Memphis? Add that to Cocke Co,Hancock Co and the already talked about: Sugar Tit, Harry Orgain, and Sodom......Bible belt....yea right, kinda like acting surprised and say "oh, I though this was the pharmacy" when you see someone from your church in the liquor store. LOL!!
There is a Rosco Fitz Rd here in Grey.
There is Muddy Creek and Stoney Creek.
I love the name Hungry Mother State Park just up the rd in VA.
As for the "fluffy" names JMT was talking about I always though of Strawberry Plains that way.
Crab Orchard.........orachard is trees.....crabs are in the ocean, how did the two get mixed into one name?
And Soddy-Daisy?????
Those are all great! I remember as a kid wondering why there was a "Crab Orchard" in Tennessee. An orchard of crabs? ??

And I love the name Hungry Mother!

You know, that would be an interesting book, the origin of all these bizarre names around here, although I'm not sure I want to know the origin of Three Way and Sugar Tit. And Harry Orgain? I'm not touching it! (no pun intended)

Old 08-31-2007, 10:57 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,393,076 times
I'm coming up empty on TN, but I always get a kick out of Hell Hole, SC. Gets pretty hot there in the summer.

A few years ago, I happened across Poop Creek in OR. That was pictureworthy. And on Halloween, a lot of costumed "ladies" pose under the street sign for Hooker PL in NY.

Then there's Jackass Acres in AZ. How'd you like to tell people you lived there?!

Old 09-01-2007, 12:17 AM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,720 times
Quote:
And Soddy-Daisy?????
Bean Station is named for a Bean family that ran an inn there.
Bulls Gap took its name from the Gap in the ridge one mile to the east. This in turn was named for John Bull, the first settler in the vicinity.
Crab Orchard probably refers to crab apples. The name has been given to a specific type of marble quarried there. Crab Orchard marble was used in the Washington Monument, Rockefeller Center, the US Capitol and many other famous buildings. There's still a large quarry there.
Soddy-Daisy has an interesting history. Read more about it here:
History - The City of Soddy-Daisy, Tennessee (broken link)
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Frozen Head State Park.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:02 AM

203 posts, read 766,255 times
Thanks, knoxgarden, for that wonderful bit of history about Soddy-Daisy. I, too, wondered who in the world would name a town Soddy-Daisy. When we actually stop and look back it can make us stop and realize how different things were then.

One of the things that I'm really looking forward to in regards to our move to TN is exploring the incredible history of the area.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:33 AM

375 posts, read 1,097,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
Crab Orchard probably refers to crab apples. The name has been given to a specific type of marble quarried there. Crab Orchard marble was used in the Washington Monument, Rockefeller Center, the US Capitol and many other famous buildings. There's still a large quarry there....
Sandstone, not marble. No marble in Crab Orchard, wrong rocks, have to go further east for marble. And most 'Tennessee Marble' isn't real marble, it's limestone.

Sorry, geologist, can't help it. Now back to your regularly scheduled discussion...

Old 09-02-2007, 03:03 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn5 View Post
We have a Booger Holler near us.... then there's the Shake Rag community.... and of course up on the mountain near Sewanee there's Jump Off.... and over yonder in the buzzard roost there's Bear Wallow Hollow! Honest and for true!!

Where is your Shake Rag? I'm just curious because there's also one in southwestern Greene County, they even have Shake Rag Road.... near "The Knobs" (huge hills... very difficult road to travel!)

Old 09-02-2007, 03:06 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
Quote:
<g> I loved it back when the chicken fighting was all the ruckus in Newport. There're some great jokes about c.o.c.k. fighting in Cocke County, but I won't touch it.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:07 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,378,901 times
Crab Orchard definitely refers to crab apple trees. Their pink blooms appear in early spring, even earlier than the forsythias'.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:18 PM

451 posts, read 1,371,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Where is your Shake Rag? I'm just curious because there's also one in southwestern Greene County, they even have Shake Rag Road.... near "The Knobs" (huge hills... very difficult road to travel!)
'My' Shake Rag is in southwestern Franklin County.... near Huntland. It's also known as Pleasant Ridge for the 'more refined' residents... but the old timers all call it Shake Rag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee