U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-24-2011, 06:03 AM
 
Location: Knoxville,Tn.
2,011 posts, read 3,395,729 times
Reputation: 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by brighteyes818 View Post
Maybe your definition of blight and mine is different,, I'm not talking about an old barn sitting out on beautiful landscape that someone might want to load in their truck and haul off,, I'm talking about a trailer home that was made to last 20 years, now it's been sitting, leaking, walls fallings down but left their to rot...around here blight is looking at building, (one that at one time was functioning, beautiful, has nostaligia but that have been sitting collecting rats, graffti, drug dealers, and homeless people...
I'm sure our definitions of "blight" are different and neither of us is wrong.But I picked up on some vibe from your original post that suggested you don't care for properties that are not pristine, new and all tidy. I've been on this forum long enough to have seen many that move to Tn. with rose colored glasses on, seduced by the affordable prices and build some Mcmansion type home, then complain because the neighbors have trailers on their property and it annoys the new transplant because it affects their property values.In such a case when the new transplant comes on here to complain, they find little to no sympathy because after all wasn't that "blight" there already? It is the way some live in the more rural areas and it may be the reason for the affordable prices in the first place.
Tennessee is a wonderful state to live in and it is abundant with natural beauty, but it is also a live and let live type place. Just a heads up to you to not expect pristine and manicured from all because it isn't that type of place.
Pam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-24-2011, 09:03 AM
 
Location: Arizona
106 posts, read 202,420 times
Reputation: 135
Seems like I am always the voice of doom, but I'll throw in my two cents worth anyway....

I don't think that there will be much to salvage in an old trailer house, but I could be wrong.

Be careful about letting folks come onto your property to salvage. You may be opening yourself up to liability if someone gets hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2011, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Deane Hill, Knoxville, Tennessee
21,637 posts, read 31,022,286 times
Reputation: 11703
Quote:
Originally Posted by brighteyes818 View Post
Maybe your definition of blight and mine is different,, I'm not talking about an old barn sitting out on beautiful landscape that someone might want to load in their truck and haul off,, I'm talking about a trailer home that was made to last 20 years, now it's been sitting, leaking, walls fallings down but left their to rot...around here blight is looking at building, (one that at one time was functioning, beautiful, has nostaligia but that have been sitting collecting rats, graffti, drug dealers, and homeless people...
That's a far cry from your original post:

Quote:
We saw a property we like with an old house on it and we're wondering if we can just burn it down? or maybe someone has a better idea,,, recycling the old boards, what do you think??
If it is an old trailer you can just drag it away. Most don't have old boards. It's possible, but I think there is some walking back being done here.

I understand your "around here" refers to Conn., where I'm from, but whether here (Tennessee) or there (New England) both areas have beautifully restored homes that were full of rats, graffiti, drug dealers and homeless people. A trailer is a different story but I have a feeling that was not what you originally referred to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam& Bill View Post
I'm sure our definitions of "blight" are different and neither of us is wrong.But I picked up on some vibe from your original post that suggested you don't care for properties that are not pristine, new and all tidy. I've been on this forum long enough to have seen many that move to Tn. with rose colored glasses on, seduced by the affordable prices and build some Mcmansion type home, then complain because the neighbors have trailers on their property and it annoys the new transplant because it affects their property values.In such a case when the new transplant comes on here to complain, they find little to no sympathy because after all wasn't that "blight" there already? It is the way some live in the more rural areas and it may be the reason for the affordable prices in the first place.
Tennessee is a wonderful state to live in and it is abundant with natural beauty, but it is also a live and let live type place. Just a heads up to you to not expect pristine and manicured from all because it isn't that type of place.
Pam
Preach it, sistah Pam, preach it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2011, 09:22 AM
 
Location: Chattanooga, TN
1,534 posts, read 1,396,495 times
Reputation: 1318
I agree with hiknapster, there's a huge difference between an old house with recyclable boards, and a falling-in manufactured single-wide. If it's a trailer, I agree with asking the local fire department if they want to practice on it. They were made cheap to begin with, and if left unattended they completely fall apart very quickly.

If it's a house, you really might be surprised at what old materials can be worth. Old wood, if in good shape and treated correctly, can be made BEAUTIFUL. But recycling is labor intensive and expensive if you hire someone to do it. Don't expect to hire a contractor to rip everything out and sell it for a profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2011, 07:41 AM
 
Location: In an alternate universe according to some, AKA Aspergers
10,567 posts, read 11,480,451 times
Reputation: 4961
One thing that needs to be pointed out here, if we're talking about a mobile home then getting a fire dept to burn it may not be possible or wise. I say this due to the chemicals in the construction products that exist in many older mobile homes that release toxic gasses when burned.
Just a thought...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2011, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Soddy Daisy, TN
157 posts, read 196,681 times
Reputation: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
I agree with hiknapster, there's a huge difference between an old house with recyclable boards, and a falling-in manufactured single-wide. If it's a trailer, I agree with asking the local fire department if they want to practice on it. They were made cheap to begin with, and if left unattended they completely fall apart very quickly.

If it's a house, you really might be surprised at what old materials can be worth. Old wood, if in good shape and treated correctly, can be made BEAUTIFUL. But recycling is labor intensive and expensive if you hire someone to do it. Don't expect to hire a contractor to rip everything out and sell it for a profit.
The fire dept is very unlikely to be able to use it for anything. Trailers are notorious for burning to the ground rapidly, and don't make for very good interior firefighting training since it would be far too dangerous. Additionally, since they are small and burn rapidly, they are only mediocre for defensive training as well. Add in the need to remove certain items due to air pollution and hazards and it's generally not worth the time and money for most fire depts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2011, 12:14 AM
 
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
731 posts, read 1,463,360 times
Reputation: 629
We had an old single wide trailer on our land that my parents used as a storage unit for about 25 years. Being that the trailer was already 15 years old when my parents moved here, it was a dilapidated hot mess by the time hubby & I acquired the property and we couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

We had an extremely hard time trying to find an affordable solution and the route we eventually chose was not one I'd suggest nor one I'll post about because it wasn't exactly following the letter of the law as set forth by environmentalist nazis. Suffice to say, we looked into the fire dept burning it down, we listed it on Craigslist and we contacted a trailer moving service to try & get rid of it all to no avail. The biggest problem with burning it is depending on its age you'll have a ton of metal left over, including the entire frame which will still need to be hauled away.

We're preparing to tear down our 30+ year old house to build new and having a much easier time finding solutions for its deconstruction than we did for a trailer. Good luck to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2011, 02:52 PM
 
68 posts, read 48,051 times
Reputation: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
That's a far cry from your original post:



If it is an old trailer you can just drag it away. Most don't have old boards. It's possible, but I think there is some walking back being done here.

I understand your "around here" refers to Conn., where I'm from, but whether here (Tennessee) or there (New England) both areas have beautifully restored homes that were full of rats, graffiti, drug dealers and homeless people. A trailer is a different story but I have a feeling that was not what you originally referred to.



Preach it, sistah Pam, preach it.
You're right! I have looked at a lot of different properties,, some have an old building,, so I wanted to know if burning it down was an option?? and how I would go about doing it and if it was legal?? I have also looked at some properties that just have an old trailer on them (just as I described) and yes those I can just haul it away and donate the whole thing...Here in Ct we have salvage places that people can go and buy pieces of old building,, I was also looking for information to whether TN had those types of places as well???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2011, 07:12 PM
 
Location: Deane Hill, Knoxville, Tennessee
21,637 posts, read 31,022,286 times
Reputation: 11703
Quote:
Originally Posted by brighteyes818 View Post
Here in Ct we have salvage places that people can go and buy pieces of old building,, I was also looking for information to whether TN had those types of places as well???
We have those places as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2012, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
11,069 posts, read 10,910,255 times
Reputation: 11142
Quote:
Originally Posted by brighteyes818 View Post
You're right! I have looked at a lot of different properties,, some have an old building,, so I wanted to know if burning it down was an option?? and how I would go about doing it and if it was legal?? I have also looked at some properties that just have an old trailer on them (just as I described) and yes those I can just haul it away and donate the whole thing...Here in Ct we have salvage places that people can go and buy pieces of old building,, I was also looking for information to whether TN had those types of places as well???
You can always look at LSN. With the bad economy Ive seen many adds for ppl wanted to haul off any scrap metal. I am still clearing and throwing crap out, so when I get a pile of old scrap metal, I call this guy who haul it away for the money he can get at the junk yard. Not sure how much salvage there is in an old trailer tho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top