Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2006, 09:19 PM

6 posts, read 101,104 times

Advertisements

My husband is retiring and we are thinking of moving to TN because the housing in southern California is a fortune (unless you have had a house before it all went up). Honestly you cannot find a house under half a million that you could live in without extensive remodeling-- even a tiny condo goes for that! If we moved, I am worried about finding a good evangelical-type church--number one, cultural things like music concerts, craft fairs, woodworking clubs, and maybe some shopping. Have you ever heard of someone making the transistion from Southern CA to TN? I want to slow down a bit but still have some things to do and people to meet because I am worried about culture shock and being lonely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2006, 11:02 PM

105 posts, read 270,524 times
When my uncle, who is from california, visited Tennessee for the first time, he was amazed at the sheer number of churches he saw. I'd guess we average about 4 churches per mile of road. I don't know if you'll find one you like, but you'll have plenty of choices. If you're lucky, you might find a holiness church or some variant. They do some funny **** when they "get blessed."

Old 03-19-2006, 06:04 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,873,725 times
P.L> Just spent a week in Hamilton co, getting our house started. Pull up all the SEARCHES for city of Chattanooga and after looking at the pictures you will be ready to visit. Last year our 2 young real estate agents just left Calif for Dunlap. Tenn is like Fla NO state income tax . Cleveland is v ery religious with the LEE university. Other religious colleges in area. Soddy Daisy had a street sign pointing off rt 27 with 5 church names just for a West turn !All last week the Bradford Pear trees were in bud or bloom with big WHITE leaves looked like cotton or covered with snow, very scenic, they are all over Hamilton co.

Old 03-25-2006, 01:33 PM

6 posts, read 101,104 times
Default house built sounds neat

Split, Thank you for the info!!! I am going to plan a trip out there to see the different areas, Thanks for the encouragement. I am stunned by how many churches there are... Wow, lots to visit. We looked at a 600K tear down house last weekend in Orange Co., CA. I am not kidding--literal animals were in it as it was open and abandoned! I need a something else!!

Old 03-26-2006, 06:31 AM

111 posts, read 598,736 times
Man, for 600 grand you can buy a city in tn

Old 03-27-2006, 02:38 PM

3 posts, read 7,131 times
Hi PurpleLady,

I'll be glad to send you some information on TN. I was born in Chattanooga, and my family moved to Mississippi when I was young. Several years ago, my 2 sons said they knew I wanted to move back, and they encouraged me. I packed my bags and moved back to Nashville (voted the friendliest city in the country). God opened up some doors and I have been blessed.
There are some great churches in the area and I'm sure God will lead you tho the right one as He did me when I started searching. Many of our Christian artist live in the area. Rebecca St James, Michael W. Smith, Steven Curtis Chapman, etc. Of course we also have many of our other musicians have a strong walk with God. Marty Roe of Diamond Reo, Mark Miller of Sawyer Brown, Connie Smith..... too many to even count.
Concerts of any genre are everywhere. God blessed me with a love of music, whether it be Country, classical, or Rock, and Nashville has it all.

As much as I still love Chattanooga, Nashville has much more in the way of diversity in entertainment/culture. Besides the obvious such as the Grand Ole Opry and the Country Music Hall of Fame, we have a new Symphony hall opening this fall, TN Performing Arts Center, Frist Center for the Arts, and many more cultural venues.
We have the NFL Titans, the NHL Predators, AAA baseball Sounds (with an new stadium on the way), Numerous colleges in the area that provide entertainment as well as adult education programs.

Nashville also has a Medical community with 2 medical schools, (Vanderbilt and MeHarry) and several nursing/allied health programs that serve the many hospitals here. We have 5 large medical centers downtown and about 20 in the greater Nashville area.

For your shopping needs we have shopping malls in every area of town, with some new developments going up now. Craft fairs and antique markets are plentiful, and there are clubs of all kinds.

Have you ever heard of someone making the transistion from Southern CA to TN? I want to slow down a bit but still have some things to do and people to meet because I am worried about culture shock and being lonely.[/quote]

Don't worry about culture shock.
I'm currently working with a couple that retired to FL and want to relocate to TN. Nissan US is in the process of relocating from CA to about a mile from my office. Most of the people we talk with from Nissan and other areas are more shocked by the friendliness than anything.

Guess I got long winded.
[moderator CUT]

Last edited by Marka; 03-27-2006 at 11:33 PM..

Old 06-05-2006, 09:44 AM

63 posts, read 402,482 times
I'm from Los Angeles.. I moved here 7 years ago. It was a HUGE transition. And yes, there are alot of cultural activities, and fairs. And there sooooo many churches here. I would suggest you move to a nice Nashville suburb like Antioch or Franklin where you can build yourself a mansion on 2 acres for $500,000. Its great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee