Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 12:31 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,523,474 times

Advertisements

You may want too find your local Roto-Rooter they have the equipment & knowledge too find your cesspool... or this link Dowsers Seeking Dowsers (http://www.dowsers.org/resources/seeking-dowsers - broken link) Dowsers have proven them selfs over the year..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 01:24 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
Default Update

Tomorrow will be 6 weeks since I sent off letters to e-mail addresses listed as "contact" for state, county, and town offices. To date, not a single response. Not even a "go to hell Yankee".

For all you who told me I have an "attitude" and need to lose it - just what attitude is it that I've been shown?

It's one thing to not have the information. At least up north in Yankee-land, not responding at all is considered rude and intolerable behavior.

So then 1 week ago, I contacted another county official, via the e-mail address listed on the website. Again, no response. NONE, zip, nada, zilch.

As for contacting a septic company - ya rite. The ones with listed e-mail addresses are as responsive as the government agencies.

Thanks, Tinman.

I've passed on the job of getting this taken care of to my husband - as if he needs to take on more responsibility.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:10 PM

643 posts, read 2,385,793 times
NY Annie,

In your earlier messages I really didn't detect attitude - only frustration over the issue. However, I must say with your latest message the attitude is quite clear. I wonder why you would even move to Tennessee after your experience so far. People have a different way of thinking and acting in different parts of the country. If you don't like the way of life in Tennessee you should probably find a home in Florida or Upstate New York where you will find like minded individuals who will always respond to email promptly.

Many times those email addresess on web sites go to people who don't check their mail very often or aren't even in employed where they once were. In Tennessee, there is nothing better than face-to-face contact or a phone call. If you are unable to do those things, or have someone do that for you, then you are facing an uphill battle. Plus if people in Tennessee detect your attitude or you say anything bad against the South, then you're done for.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:41 PM

107 posts, read 300,745 times
[QUOTE We need to know EXACTLY where are the lines, not approximately so we don't dig up a line.[/quote]

[QUOTE I was willing to accept "over in that area" - because then we'll move the pool somewhere else.[/quote]

NY Annie, I'm not sure if you need an exact location or not. You have stated it both ways. Either way, these tips may help out if you can get someone to go over and check the yard for you. We also live out of state, but we have been fortunate in that everyone we have dealt with has been extremely helpful. Heck, the mortgage holder for our property actually called us and offered to reduce our interest rate and monthly payment (twice in the last 5 years)! Good luck :-)
■In late summer, if you stop watering your lawn you may see green stripes in your yard. These are the damp areas along the drainfield pipes. In the winter, the areas above the pipes may be the first place frost melts in your yard.
■Do you have monitoring ports or clean-outs? These are white-capped tubes or pipes, cut off at or near the ground surface. They allow you to check the liquid level in the drainfield pipes and are located at the ends of the pipes.
■Carefully probe the areas leading away from the septic tank. Avoid using heavy steel wrecking bars or similar probing tools that can damage the septic tank top or other components.
■Look for clues such as shallow, parallel depressions, which may mark the drainfield trenches. It is unlikely that a drainfield could have been installed among large trees or in very rocky areas.
■Go under the house and look where the sewer pipe exits the foundation. The septic tank is usually within 10 feet of the foundation.
■Hire a professional company to send echo-locators down.

Last edited by 1967hammer; 03-15-2012 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-15-2012, 05:15 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md21722 View Post
NY Annie,

In your earlier messages I really didn't detect attitude - only frustration over the issue. However, I must say with your latest message the attitude is quite clear. I wonder why you would even move to Tennessee after your experience so far. People have a different way of thinking and acting in different parts of the country. If you don't like the way of life in Tennessee you should probably find a home in Florida or Upstate New York where you will find like minded individuals who will always respond to email promptly.

Many times those email addresess on web sites go to people who don't check their mail very often or aren't even in employed where they once were. In Tennessee, there is nothing better than face-to-face contact or a phone call. If you are unable to do those things, or have someone do that for you, then you are facing an uphill battle. Plus if people in Tennessee detect your attitude or you say anything bad against the South, then you're done for.

You're right, I didn't have an attitude before and yes, I do now. My attitude is this:

Ah yes, we are discussing my attitude based on a 6 week wait to have an e-mail responded to - as "promptly".

It has nothing to do with the south, it has to do with small things - like a posted e-mail address that is never checked - why post it? That's like having a post office box that no one ever checks, or a telephone that isn't answered. How about calling using the call-captioning service and having the person answering hang up because the response is too slow in coming? So yeah, today I have an attitude. It's a rail against bad manners and discrimination against the handicapped who have to rely on those services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967hammer View Post
[QUOTE We need to know EXACTLY where are the lines, not approximately so we don't dig up a line.
[QUOTE I was willing to accept "over in that area" - because then we'll move the pool somewhere else.[/quote]

NY Annie, I'm not sure if you need an exact location or not. You have stated it both ways. Either way, these tips may help out if you can get someone to go over and check the yard for you. We also live out of state, but we have been fortunate in that everyone we have dealt with has been extremely helpful. Heck, the mortgage holder for our property actually called us and offered to reduce our interest rate and monthly payment (twice in the last 5 years)! Good luck :-)
■In late summer, if you stop watering your lawn you may see green stripes in your yard. These are the damp areas along the drainfield pipes. In the winter, the areas above the pipes may be the first place frost melts in your yard.
■Do you have monitoring ports or clean-outs? These are white-capped tubes or pipes, cut off at or near the ground surface. They allow you to check the liquid level in the drainfield pipes and are located at the ends of the pipes.
■Carefully probe the areas leading away from the septic tank. Avoid using heavy steel wrecking bars or similar probing tools that can damage the septic tank top or other components.
■Look for clues such as shallow, parallel depressions, which may mark the drainfield trenches. It is unlikely that a drainfield could have been installed among large trees or in very rocky areas.
■Go under the house and look where the sewer pipe exits the foundation. The septic tank is usually within 10 feet of the foundation.
■Hire a professional company to send echo-locators down.[/quote]

Thank you. Unfortunately we are not there and will not be there until fall. I have someone who just yesterday offered to make a phone call but no one I know in the area to do an "in person" visit.

As for hiring a professional company, my husband is handling that now.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:50 PM

231 posts, read 595,549 times
Default construction permits-city/county/state level

The County Thatg I live in doesn't require building permits noe sewer tank inspection-only an electrical inspection. I don't know about McNairy County. Search around within a few feet of the foundation for the sewer line cleanout plug, if so equipped. the sewer tank should be straight out from that within a few feet. The field lines will come out the back of the sewer tank. I would also ask around of the people who install sewer tanks and find out if any of them recall installing it.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:39 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
Annie, it doesn't surprise me that e-mails aren't checked if the officials are over 50. Or there could be a bug in the county wide e-mail program. Who knows. I'll suggest you print out a letter and put it in the US mail. Please explain that you are hard of hearing and that is why you haven't called.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
View detailed profiles of: