Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 08:53 AM

327 posts, read 526,112 times

Advertisements

We are planning to relocate away from Minneapolis-St Paul, where we have lived for many years. Are there cities in your state you would recommend, based on our preferences listed below?

DEMOGRAPHICS
  • Metro area population of no more than 1.5 million, and probably at least 500 K.
  • Average to high percentage of population having graduate degrees.
  • Active humanist / freethinker community ... liberal / progressive.
  • Friendly folks, more relaxed pace of life than “New York hectic”.
  • Good public transit system a plus.
WEATHER
  • Milder winters (cold hardiness no less than 5 [avg annual low down to -20 degrees] and higher is better).
  • Summers not too hot (optimal heat zone of 6 [up to 60 days/yr above 86 degrees] or less--might go to 7).
  • Some humidity is okay and better than too dry.
HOUSING
  • Average cost of living, including housing (3 bedroom, 2 bath ~$200-350K).
  • A neighborhood pleasant to walk around in, and a lot that’s at least a 1/4 to 1/3 acre (and larger is better).
  • We’d like to live as close to the city center (10-15 minutes by car or public transport).
LIFESTYLE/ABOUT US
  • Married couple, in mid-life.
  • We like gardening, walking in nature, biking, and kayaking.
  • Nearby science fiction convention(s).
  • Child-free, so schools irrelevant.
  • No interest in team sports.
These are ideals, of course, so we expect to be making some trade-offs, but it's better to measure against the optimal, don’t you think?

Old 02-15-2012, 09:33 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakimono View Post
Are there cities in your state you would recommend, based on our preferences listed below?
No.

Only two cities, Memphis and Nashville, meet your population requirements, and it begins to fall apart after that.

It's friendly here. Most of the people where I live have college and post-graduate degrees. But the weather would be a big problem. Milder weather can be had in TN, but you would live in a more rural or small-town environment.

"Public transport" is virtually non-existent. I have lived in both of those larger cities, and most locals are vehemently opposed to tax funding of public transit. Only transplants or those who have lived in cities that have great transit are strongly in favor. We have a long way to go on this issue.

Team sports are a huge part of the culture in the bigger cities. You don't have to participate in the fervor, but you probably would get tired of hearing about it.

There are pockets of liberalism, but for the most part Tennessee is a conservative state.

IMHO, I'm thinking another state would be a better match for you.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:11 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
As the previous poster said, it probably isn't going to work for you. Population is too small for Knoxville, although if you take all of Knox County it works. But you would still have a very small - but vibrant! - downtown. But the weather is going to be a deal breaker. Considering what you are asking for regarding heat, I would suggest not looking in the southeastern part of the country. We have very mild winters but you would consider the heat to be too much, and this isn't even the deep South. You might try Southern California.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:31 AM

Tennessee might end up not being a keeper for us, but California isn't even in the running.

The zone maps indicate that the mid-southeast has several possibilities.

Thanks for weighing in; every piece of information helps.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:39 AM

722 posts, read 2,100,400 times
maybe Charlotte, NC?

Old 02-16-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakimono View Post
Tennessee might end up not being a keeper for us, but California isn't even in the running.

The zone maps indicate that the mid-southeast has several possibilities.

Thanks for weighing in; every piece of information helps.
I don't get it. The zone maps indicate something that the people who live here don't? I'm not trying to be argumentative but what you just told me is, no, the weather is different than what you just stated. If that is the case then I would suggest Knoxville. I'm from the northeast, a left-leaning liberal. And our core tends to be very progressive, with a very liberal mayor. But I still think it is going to be very hot for you. Don't get me wrong. I lived in Florida for ten years so I think the weather is perfect. But we most certainly get more than 60 days over 86. And you are coming from Minnesota! A gardening map is not going to be a great way to measure your comfort level. Charlotte is going to be even hotter. And pretty much every area is going to be very conservative except for the cores of Asheville and Knoxville.

By the way, we are here to help, not argue or get paid for what we do.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:21 AM

Oh good gravy! I just noticed from another one of your threads that you want to avoid an allergy prone area.

Lop all of The Southeast, from Kentucky down, off of your list. Seriously. Worst Cities For Allergies - Forbes.com

Old 02-16-2012, 09:45 AM

7,534 posts, read 17,221,758 times
I was kind of thinking Portland.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
That's how I found out about the allergy criteria. Apparently they feel that all of the northwest is bad for allergies, according to another thread.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Too cloudy is the #1 reason against the PNW. If the temps were better, or the winter solstice longer than here, we might reconsider.

Or, if I could figure out a way to shift the equator just a bit northwards, then we might not need to move at all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
View detailed profiles of: