Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 10:53 AM

3 posts, read 9,436 times

Advertisements

We've been looking at different TN cities and found the Johnson City/Bristol area to be very interesting. We now live in Orlando, but I was born in TN and have always thought of moving back. Cost of living, at least from a housing/property tax viewpoint seems to be very favorable but I was somewhat concerned at the crime statistics. They seem very high for violent crimes as well as property crime. Is this localized or something to be concerned about no matter where in the area you might look to locate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2006, 01:03 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,240,213 times
Hi fredz,
I have lived in East TN for 10 years now and to be honest I really don't see where they are getting those crime "statistics". Sure, we have crime here, as does everywhere and yes, you get into a few sections of Johnson City, a few in Kingsport and few in Bristol, yes there is crime on a regular basis. But it is isolated. Maybe that is where the statistics come from? I don't know. Now and again you do hear of a shotting, but I have found 9 times out of 10, it is a domestic issue, an argument and drinking involved. It certainly is NOT like south FL where drive by shootings, break ins, car theft, property theft are a very real daily issue. We have discussed this before here on the forum and some of us that live here can't understand where the "statistics" are coming from either. I know I feel safe as do I feel like my children are safe. If any "crime" happens, it is all over the news for several days. I know when I lived in Fl, only the most awful of crimes were reported, you just knew a lot more happened than you heard about. I really don't feel that here. Maybe we could convince a local police officer to come on this site and give there interpretation of the crime situation here in East TN.

Old 09-14-2006, 02:38 PM

359 posts, read 1,630,038 times
I agree with mbmouse. I live here, too, and am not aware of all the crime that those statistics point to. It paints a picture of a crime-ridden city, and that is just not true. Maybe because the college is there, which increases the number of people under age 25, the statistics are skewed.

I also agree with mbmouse on this: that many of the crimes that are committed are people victimizing their own family member.

Old 09-15-2006, 05:58 AM

37 posts, read 121,227 times
Gee, Fredz3fla, another one leaving Orlando for eastern TN. :>) What part of Orlando do you live? We have lived on the eastside since 1979 and have been disappointed in the area for the last 10 years. I finally convinced my husband that it is time to get out of here. :>) Pay heed to mbmouse. She has been a tremendous help. We are now working with a REALTOR to help after searching on our own now for about two months.

Old 09-15-2006, 09:09 AM

3 posts, read 9,436 times
We live north of the city in Sanford. A sleepy little subdivison but very close to great shopping and more restaurants than my diet can handle. We came here 8 years ago and it wasn't nearly this crowded or expensive.
My biggest challenge will be to convince my wife to move to an area without all the conveniences we have here. She's a "crafter" and bargain shopper. She would have withdrawal symptoms if there wasn't a Micheals or JoAnns close by. As for me, I'm just looking for a Home Depot/Lowes and a golf course!

Old 09-15-2006, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredz3fla View Post
We live north of the city in Sanford. A sleepy little subdivison but very close to great shopping and more restaurants than my diet can handle. We came here 8 years ago and it wasn't nearly this crowded or expensive.
My biggest challenge will be to convince my wife to move to an area without all the conveniences we have here. She's a "crafter" and bargain shopper. She would have withdrawal symptoms if there wasn't a Micheals or JoAnns close by. As for me, I'm just looking for a Home Depot/Lowes and a golf course!
You might want to look at Johnson City or surrounding areas then Fredz. We have Home Depot, Lowe's, Michaels, several golf courses. Seems like it would fit your bill! Plus, close by are lots of "crafters" havens. We have a flea market going in several places around just about every weekend of the year! hahahahahah

Old 01-02-2007, 09:05 AM

1 posts, read 2,997 times
Default re. crime stats.

Since someone wanted a police officer to post re. crime stats. here you go. Most of the crime in East Tennessee (Sullivan County/Hawkins County) is property crime. Shoplifting, auto burglaries, etc. Most crimes against persons are not stranger initiated. Domestic assaults and family crimes drive those up. If you really want a great place to retire to, or to raise kids, this is it. How's this for encouragement....police officers from other states are retiring to here (that's not well known except by word of mouth)......Check all areas for housing costs though. Johnson City is higher for those (and for population and crime), with Bristol and Kingsport quite a bit less. Check surrounding areas such as Church Hill. Small community, good schools, committed to slow, quality growth. Property taxes in Hawkins County actually went down a couple of years ago.....A nice three bedroom, three bath with about 2200 sq. feet appraises for around 120K in Hawkins County (add about 15-20K if you're looking in Sullivan County). On to the negative - some cocaine/crack abuse but mostly prescription drug abuse. Some gang activity, but from outside. We keep it pretty well disrupted, and the area is just so rural with small downtowns (compared to big cities) there is not a great big opportunity for them to flourish. If you're really interested in the area, go to any Kingsport Website and check out FunFest. Make plans to visit during that week, and you'll know for sure if you'd like it or not. Got all the conveniences too. New Lowe's, Home Depot, Antique stores, Hobby Lobby etc. For me, Kingsport is the best bet. Little smaller than Johnson City, little bigger than Bristol. Wealthy little town with Eastman Chemical Company as it's major employer. A bit smelly though sometimes....
Hope this helps.
J.

Old 01-02-2007, 11:20 AM

37,742 posts, read 40,796,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredz3fla View Post
Go to yellow.com. (online phone directories). In the category box type in "crafts" and then your city of choice and state. You have a choice of 5 online phone directories. I recommend WhitePages.com. You will get an intervening page that will allow you to break it down further (example: retail vs wholesale businesses or needlecraft vs scapbooking). Click on the link of your choice. When the results come up, scroll down past paid advertisers to see what craft stores are in the town and where they are located.

Old 01-08-2007, 12:27 AM

15 posts, read 24,205 times
I will be retiring(medically) from the Navy soon. Looking to move family of five, three in school, to the area. I do lawn care and small engine repair; but am willing to do anything to support my family. Looking for good Southern people and a few acres in a small, quiet town with suburbs near-by to support my lawn business. Suggestions?

Old 01-08-2007, 08:10 AM

Hi Navybear, Welcome to the TN forum!
From the little bit you told us about what you are looking for, it sounds like the Tri-Cities might be what you are looking for. There are many little areas/towns on the outskirts of the larger cities where there is acreage available within a 30 minute or less drive to more populated areas.
Check out these areas Church Hill, Colonial Heights, Fall Branch, Sulpher Springs, Gray, Mount Carmel, Jonesborough. Just to name a few. There are some really good schools in these areas too.
When you get here, I have two riding mowers in the shed that need some help hahahahhaha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee