Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 11:26 AM

13,336 posts, read 39,721,755 times

Advertisements

The web site Amplicate collects consumer opinions posted on social media then analyzes and compares them to indicate what people are saying about places right now on Twitter and Facebook.

It looks like only a few cities in Tennessee are listed. Here's how they rank:

Gatlinburg - 93% love, 7% hate (76 votes)
Nashville - 84% love, 16% hate (24,581 votes)
Chattanooga - 74% love, 26% hate (1,502 votes)
Memphis - 69% love, 31% hate (23,856 votes)
Knoxville - 68% love, 32% hate (3,305 votes)
Oak Ridge - 32% love, 68% hate (269 votes)
Clarksville - 30% love, 70% hate (645 votes)
Murfreesboro - 27% love, 73% hate (495 votes)

Tennessee public universities:

University of Tennessee, Martin - 93% love, 7% hate (2,178 votes)
Tennessee Tech University - 76% love, 24% hate (315 votes)
Tennessee State University - 68% love, 32% hate (4,448 votes)
University of Memphis - 56% love, 44% hate (36 votes)
University of Tennessee, Knoxville - 54% love, 46% hate (16,092 votes)
East Tennessee State University - 52% love, 48% hate (200 votes)
University of Tennessee, Chattanooga - 49% love, 51% hate (258 votes)
Middle Tennessee State University - 48% love, 52% hate (835 votes)
Austin Peay State University - 0% love, 100% hate (26 votes)

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 03-03-2012 at 11:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 03:08 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,514,278 times
Not everyone uses Twitter. Nor consider FB a valid source. I would just tell students to visit the college of their choice and take a tour. You only get a feel for the campus , or city by physically visiting it.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:25 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,657,363 times
I agree with dreamofmonterey.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:07 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,579,270 times
Not everyone uses social media, but 73% of young people do, and 1 in 13 people on earth have a Facebook profile.

According to the Pew Center, 54% of internet users age 55-64 have a Facebook profile. They also found that nearly 1 in 5 people ages 18-24 use Twitter.

Social media is prevalent enough that people will monitor it simultaneously while watching TV or attending an event. It's even become a primary news source for most younger people.

The "rankings" of those cities by online users doesn't really surprise me, but I find it very interesting that UT Martin got SO many more votes than the other schools. Wonder what's up with that?

Old 03-04-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Not everyone uses social media, but 73% of young people do, and 1 in 13 people on earth have a Facebook profile.

According to the Pew Center, 54% of internet users age 55-64 have a Facebook profile. They also found that nearly 1 in 5 people ages 18-24 use Twitter.

Social media is prevalent enough that people will monitor it simultaneously while watching TV or attending an event. It's even become a primary news source for most younger people.

The "rankings" of those cities by online users doesn't really surprise me, but I find it very interesting that UT Martin got SO many more votes than the other schools. Wonder what's up with that?
You took the words right out of my mouth. The overwhelming majority of college students and prospective college students do use social media. In fact, students in my department at U.T. are required to use various social media for some of our assignments.

I wonder if UT Martin had some sort of campus initiative to get out the vote or something. And as for UT's fairly low ranking, I'm sure much of that could be attributed to rival SEC schools infiltrating the system. I was somewhat surprised to see TSU get so much love. I'd always heard that its alumni are fiercely loyal to the school, and I guess this is evidence of it.

I also am not surprised at Nashville's high ranking. Nashville is clearly the state's golden child, and for good reason. It is a fantastic, wonderful city. I was also glad to see Memphis get such a high grade. For all its problems, it's still a very cool place.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 03-05-2012, 07:27 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,828,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

UT-Martin is an awesome place. I'm not surprised by its ranking.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
UT-Martin is an awesome place. I'm not surprised by its ranking.
I'm not surprised by its ranking, either, but I am surprised by the number of votes. I've heard nothing but good things about UTM.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 03-05-2012, 10:09 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,579,270 times
[quote=JMT;23265878]I'm not surprised by its ranking, either, but I am surprised by the number of votes. [/QUOTE/]

This for me too. The discrepancy would suggest an effort to vote, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:50 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,050,533 times
It's not about voting, no one voted. It says "votes" but the results are actually culled from social media comments. It's why Gatlinburg has such positive results. Its a product of people talking about going or coming from a vacation and not indicative of a place to live, more than likely. It took a lot of time to actually search for those results and then list them, JMT. If you have some additional time you can always come over and help me file.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:36 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,041,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
You took the words right out of my mouth. The overwhelming majority of college students and prospective college students do use social media. In fact, students in my department at U.T. are required to use various social media for some of our assignments.

I wonder if UT Martin had some sort of campus initiative to get out the vote or something. And as for UT's fairly low ranking, I'm sure much of that could be attributed to rival SEC schools infiltrating the system. I was somewhat surprised to see TSU get so much love. I'd always heard that its alumni are fiercely loyal to the school, and I guess this is evidence of it.

I also am not surprised at Nashville's high ranking. Nashville is clearly the state's golden child, and for good reason. It is a fantastic, wonderful city. I was also glad to see Memphis get such a high grade. For all its problems, it's still a very cool place.

I wonder how many people have actually been to any of the places they voted on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee