U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-12-2012, 09:44 AM
 
3,827 posts, read 6,186,699 times
Reputation: 3870

Advertisements

It is sad to think a state labeled the Volunteer state could be so opposed to helping veterans.

Civilians work their job without interruption. Whereas Americans who see the need to serve their country surrender those years they dedicate to their service. They give up job longevity and in many cases promotions because they are on the battlefield.

In the case of civilians being in a war zone. These folks are paid a premium salary, they have full knowledge of what they are getting into, and they have a clear cut choice not to go. They can also quit at any time. There is no comparison between our military folks and civilians in a war zone. Civilians in a war zone are also employed by a state side company and their job does not end when a conflict ends.

Anyone who thinks Bill Haslam is such a peach such dig into his record.

We all know, or should know, that local Tennessee politics abounds with nepotism. Wouldn't it be nice to prevent it from overwhelming the state government?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-12-2012, 12:17 PM
 
6,385 posts, read 10,381,162 times
Reputation: 6533
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
We all know, or should know, that local Tennessee politics abounds with nepotism. Wouldn't it be nice to prevent it from overwhelming the state government?
How long have you lived here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 02:15 PM
 
3,827 posts, read 6,186,699 times
Reputation: 3870
nashvols,

I have lived in the US for several decades. As a member of the USMC I have the entitlement to call the entire US my home. I didn't fight for one state I, and as with all military personnel, I fought for every state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 03:54 PM
 
Location: Morristown, TN
1,754 posts, read 3,599,631 times
Reputation: 1328
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
It is sad to think a state labeled the Volunteer state could be so opposed to helping veterans.

Civilians work their job without interruption. Whereas Americans who see the need to serve their country surrender those years they dedicate to their service. They give up job longevity and in many cases promotions because they are on the battlefield.

In the case of civilians being in a war zone. These folks are paid a premium salary, they have full knowledge of what they are getting into, and they have a clear cut choice not to go. They can also quit at any time. There is no comparison between our military folks and civilians in a war zone. Civilians in a war zone are also employed by a state side company and their job does not end when a conflict ends.

Anyone who thinks Bill Haslam is such a peach such dig into his record.

We all know, or should know, that local Tennessee politics abounds with nepotism. Wouldn't it be nice to prevent it from overwhelming the state government?

Nope. We just want to help everyone, equally.

Again, it's a CHOICE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 04:03 PM
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
9,531 posts, read 13,372,671 times
Reputation: 20050
Wants to say something along the lines of a volunteer doesn't do it with the attitude of "what will I get out of this"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 06:07 PM
 
6,385 posts, read 10,381,162 times
Reputation: 6533
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
nashvols,

I have lived in the US for several decades. As a member of the USMC I have the entitlement to call the entire US my home. I didn't fight for one state I, and as with all military personnel, I fought for every state.
I meant in Tennessee. Your post strikes me as coming from someone that (for better or worse) is completely unfamiliar with Tennessee's political past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 06:25 PM
 
263 posts, read 474,469 times
Reputation: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
nashvols,

I have lived in the US for several decades. As a member of the USMC I have the entitlement to call the entire US my home. I didn't fight for one state I, and as with all military personnel, I fought for every state.
You definitely seem to have a very strong sense of entitlement.

You also don't seem to have a good understanding of what the word 'nepotism' means. Here's an example of nepotism: Oh, my friend John, who served in the military, is interested in working for me. How cool it is that I can give him an extra bump because he's former military. I don't have to worry about the fact that he has no education or experience in this field. It doesn't matter that several people I've never met before applied for the job and do have education and experience. Nope. I'll get to hire my pal because I can give him extra points.

That's nepotism. Giving an applicant extra points for things completely irrelevant to the job at hand is one way in which it manifests itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 08:38 AM
 
3,827 posts, read 6,186,699 times
Reputation: 3870
the-commuter,

I find it very interesting that you disrespect the very people who go to war to protect your rights and freedom. Without our good men and women in uniform there would be no freedom. We can see from your post that you have no sense of patriotism and obvious little concern for our military.

Our military people earn the right to extra consideration for jobs by serving in the military. That is not nepotism. Nepotism is what exist in most of local TN government as stated in the following link;

Nepotism an issue in Sullivan County, Kingsport city government in Tennessee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Soddy Daisy, TN
233 posts, read 464,003 times
Reputation: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
the-commuter,

I find it very interesting that you disrespect the very people who go to war to protect your rights and freedom. Without our good men and women in uniform there would be no freedom. We can see from your post that you have no sense of patriotism and obvious little concern for our military.

Our military people earn the right to extra consideration for jobs by serving in the military. That is not nepotism. Nepotism is what exist in most of local TN government as stated in the following link;

Nepotism an issue in Sullivan County, Kingsport city government in Tennessee
I don't know what makes you think you earned the right to be placed above everyone else. Unless you were drafted, you *chose* to join the military, knowing full well the risks and benefits. You are a paid employee of the US government. If you were doing it for free, you might have some kind of argument. I have a hard time feeling like anyone who knowingly put themselves in a position such as the military deserves any treatment better than anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 07:32 PM
 
6,385 posts, read 10,381,162 times
Reputation: 6533
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
the-commuter,

I find it very interesting that you disrespect the very people who go to war to protect your rights and freedom. Without our good men and women in uniform there would be no freedom. We can see from your post that you have no sense of patriotism and obvious little concern for our military.

Our military people earn the right to extra consideration for jobs by serving in the military. That is not nepotism. Nepotism is what exist in most of local TN government as stated in the following link;

Nepotism an issue in Sullivan County, Kingsport city government in Tennessee
I know more than a few Marines and servicemen that would resent your entitlement attitude.

I respect those who serve, just like I respect anyone that makes a sacrifice. That doesn't earn you brownie points, though. It doesn't necessarily qualify you over other civilians in the civilian world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top