U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 09:44 AM

3,827 posts, read 6,186,699 times

Advertisements

It is sad to think a state labeled the Volunteer state could be so opposed to helping veterans.

Civilians work their job without interruption. Whereas Americans who see the need to serve their country surrender those years they dedicate to their service. They give up job longevity and in many cases promotions because they are on the battlefield.

In the case of civilians being in a war zone. These folks are paid a premium salary, they have full knowledge of what they are getting into, and they have a clear cut choice not to go. They can also quit at any time. There is no comparison between our military folks and civilians in a war zone. Civilians in a war zone are also employed by a state side company and their job does not end when a conflict ends.

Anyone who thinks Bill Haslam is such a peach such dig into his record.

We all know, or should know, that local Tennessee politics abounds with nepotism. Wouldn't it be nice to prevent it from overwhelming the state government?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 12:17 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,381,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
We all know, or should know, that local Tennessee politics abounds with nepotism. Wouldn't it be nice to prevent it from overwhelming the state government?
How long have you lived here?

Old 03-12-2012, 02:15 PM

nashvols,

I have lived in the US for several decades. As a member of the USMC I have the entitlement to call the entire US my home. I didn't fight for one state I, and as with all military personnel, I fought for every state.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:54 PM

1,754 posts, read 3,599,631 times
Quote:
It is sad to think a state labeled the Volunteer state could be so opposed to helping veterans.

Civilians work their job without interruption. Whereas Americans who see the need to serve their country surrender those years they dedicate to their service. They give up job longevity and in many cases promotions because they are on the battlefield.

In the case of civilians being in a war zone. These folks are paid a premium salary, they have full knowledge of what they are getting into, and they have a clear cut choice not to go. They can also quit at any time. There is no comparison between our military folks and civilians in a war zone. Civilians in a war zone are also employed by a state side company and their job does not end when a conflict ends.

Anyone who thinks Bill Haslam is such a peach such dig into his record.

Nope. We just want to help everyone, equally.

Again, it's a CHOICE.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:03 PM

9,531 posts, read 13,372,671 times
Wants to say something along the lines of a volunteer doesn't do it with the attitude of "what will I get out of this"

Old 03-12-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
nashvols,

I have lived in the US for several decades. As a member of the USMC I have the entitlement to call the entire US my home. I didn't fight for one state I, and as with all military personnel, I fought for every state.
I meant in Tennessee. Your post strikes me as coming from someone that (for better or worse) is completely unfamiliar with Tennessee's political past.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:25 PM

263 posts, read 474,469 times
Quote:
nashvols,

You definitely seem to have a very strong sense of entitlement.

You also don't seem to have a good understanding of what the word 'nepotism' means. Here's an example of nepotism: Oh, my friend John, who served in the military, is interested in working for me. How cool it is that I can give him an extra bump because he's former military. I don't have to worry about the fact that he has no education or experience in this field. It doesn't matter that several people I've never met before applied for the job and do have education and experience. Nope. I'll get to hire my pal because I can give him extra points.

That's nepotism. Giving an applicant extra points for things completely irrelevant to the job at hand is one way in which it manifests itself.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:38 AM

the-commuter,

I find it very interesting that you disrespect the very people who go to war to protect your rights and freedom. Without our good men and women in uniform there would be no freedom. We can see from your post that you have no sense of patriotism and obvious little concern for our military.

Our military people earn the right to extra consideration for jobs by serving in the military. That is not nepotism. Nepotism is what exist in most of local TN government as stated in the following link;

Nepotism an issue in Sullivan County, Kingsport city government in Tennessee

Old 03-13-2012, 10:03 AM

233 posts, read 464,003 times
Quote:
the-commuter,

I find it very interesting that you disrespect the very people who go to war to protect your rights and freedom. Without our good men and women in uniform there would be no freedom. We can see from your post that you have no sense of patriotism and obvious little concern for our military.

Our military people earn the right to extra consideration for jobs by serving in the military. That is not nepotism. Nepotism is what exist in most of local TN government as stated in the following link;

I don't know what makes you think you earned the right to be placed above everyone else. Unless you were drafted, you *chose* to join the military, knowing full well the risks and benefits. You are a paid employee of the US government. If you were doing it for free, you might have some kind of argument. I have a hard time feeling like anyone who knowingly put themselves in a position such as the military deserves any treatment better than anyone else.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
the-commuter,

I know more than a few Marines and servicemen that would resent your entitlement attitude.

I respect those who serve, just like I respect anyone that makes a sacrifice. That doesn't earn you brownie points, though. It doesn't necessarily qualify you over other civilians in the civilian world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or