Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2007, 01:31 PM

32 posts, read 105,201 times

Advertisements

Hi!

We are relocating to the Memphis Area for work. We were looking for feedback on Bolivar, TN. How are the schools etc? thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 02:42 PM

79 posts, read 281,717 times
why would live so far away from Memphis? That would be a LONG commute.

Old 11-03-2007, 05:27 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,980,366 times
Bolivar isn't anything special at all IMO. I wouldn't want to live there, and as the previous posted mentioned, it would be one heck of a drive.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:58 AM

2 posts, read 6,760 times
"Bolivar isn't anything special at all IMO. I wouldn't want to live there"

Hmm. Depends on how you define special and what you want from your place to live? I wish you would elaborate on "wouldn't want to live here?

Ive been here all my life. The area is rural and racially diverse. If that bothers you well i guess its not the place for you.

Ive been here all my life and the most crime ive personally experienced is shoplifting a couple of times from a store i ran and an old lawn mower stolen out of my yard (would have given it to them if they had asked). I have many family members here and the worse thing i can recall is petty theft perpetrated on them. More serious crimes, happen in most (not all though, im not that stupid) cases is because you make yourself vulnerable and hang around the wrong crowd. This would apply anywhere. Meth cookers pop up but hey this is rural Tennessee. Seems the knotheads doing that went from Moonshine to Meth. Again you make yourself vulnerable for the most part.

Employment, well its a rural town and employment is not abundant for sure. Housing is very reasonable even for the larger houses.

Recreation - Rural type activities. Hunting is prime as we often lead the State in deer kills. Fishing also prime. City type activities, go to Jackson or Corinth about 40 minutes away. High Speed Internet is available and getting items that you would normally get in a big city are gotten by mail order.

Nearest College is in Jackson TN and that is a pain but again its rural here. You can go to a State Park and almost feel like you have it to yourself at times. Hardwood forests are the norm along with hilly countryside.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:27 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,484,450 times
To answer the OPs original question....Bolivar public schools are HORRIBLE! Any one,black or white who can afford to do so send thier kids to private school. The other poster who commented on outdoor recreation was correct though. A fishing and hunting paradise in Hardeman County. But shhhhh! We would hate for our little secret to get out!

Old 07-08-2010, 03:17 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolivar Hillbilly View Post
"Bolivar isn't anything special at all IMO. I wouldn't want to live there"

Hmm. Depends on how you define special and what you want from your place to live? I wish you would elaborate on "wouldn't want to live here?

Ive been here all my life. The area is rural and racially diverse. If that bothers you well i guess its not the place for you.

Ive been here all my life and the most crime ive personally experienced is shoplifting a couple of times from a store i ran and an old lawn mower stolen out of my yard (would have given it to them if they had asked). I have many family members here and the worse thing i can recall is petty theft perpetrated on them. More serious crimes, happen in most (not all though, im not that stupid) cases is because you make yourself vulnerable and hang around the wrong crowd. This would apply anywhere. Meth cookers pop up but hey this is rural Tennessee. Seems the knotheads doing that went from Moonshine to Meth. Again you make yourself vulnerable for the most part.

Employment, well its a rural town and employment is not abundant for sure. Housing is very reasonable even for the larger houses.

Recreation - Rural type activities. Hunting is prime as we often lead the State in deer kills. Fishing also prime. City type activities, go to Jackson or Corinth about 40 minutes away. High Speed Internet is available and getting items that you would normally get in a big city are gotten by mail order.

Nearest College is in Jackson TN and that is a pain but again its rural here. You can go to a State Park and almost feel like you have it to yourself at times. Hardwood forests are the norm along with hilly countryside.

( regarding crime and....... This would apply anywhere )----------

crime rate index of the US...........320.9
crime rate index of Bolivar TN-----613.9

Old 02-26-2012, 10:22 AM

2 posts, read 6,760 times
If you will read what i said, i said if you hang around the wrong crowd, you make yourself more vulnerable to crime. This would apply anywhere.... Nearly all the crime here is a segment of the population committing the crimes on one another. Strip that away and there is very little crime. I've been here over half a century, have lots of family here, and have experienced very little crime. I go out at night anytime i want with little fear.

Also you will notice the crime rate has a steady drop since 02 per the stats you read on city data. I noticed in another thread you were speaking highly of Jasper, MO. Well i could post stats on that thread for certain years and/or type of crime where the stats are higher there than the US average. But i wont be that rude.

The local paper has a short weekly police report and its minuscule compared to the county report which is usually lengthy. Police here do a great job IMHO. Call them for anything and they are all over it.

The Bolivar downtown has recently been renovated. Only pictures can could show how well it looks now. If I get time, will post some. There is a BBQ festival, art festival, bands on the court square during warm months, art council with great live plays, local flavor restaurants, etc. For big city stuff (rarely for me) there is Jackson and Corinth MS about 40 minutes away.

Bolivar schools have instituted uniform policies. I know of many that go there and, while not perfect, i would say far from horrible as another poster said. Local PD cooperates fully with them. I hear of very little issues. I had far more problems sending my offspring to the state college. FAR MORE, believe me and i'm not referring to grades (my offsprings were outstanding), im referring to the violent crime around the dorms. This was in a city data rated low crime town.

I hope you find your "Mayberry" by relying on cold stats. Good luck to you.

Last edited by JMT; 02-26-2012 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: Removed link to a competitor web site.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:46 PM

43 posts, read 111,558 times
My mother was born in Hickory Valley, TN, my father in Bolivar, they don't live there anymore. My grandmother also lives there now. So I'm intimately familiar with Bolivar and Hardeman County in general. I visit at least once a month.

I live in Memphis now.

Do NOT, do NOT move there.

1) No family entertainment of any kind. The only thing there is a one screen theater so old that you can still see the now non-utilized "colored" entrance. The new square looks nice, but nothing to do there. You're looking at a sizeable drive to a large city (Jackson, TN).
2) No good restaurants. All are crappy greasy spoons. (and my uncle used to own one of them)
3) "Racial diversity" is non-existent in terms of living and interacting.
4) Long commute to and from Memphis. You're looking at an hour at least, and that's without any morning freeway/highway congestion once you get near Memphis.

In other words, it is emblematic of rural decay.

I'd suggest you check out Bartlett or Collierville, or if you're a city dweller, check out in Memphis Midtown or Cooper Young. (Just know that suburban schools will be vastly better than Memphis's, although school consolidation will be a factor)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee