Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2006, 07:52 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times

Advertisements

I'm a numbers junkie and I'm reading this book about retirement migration in America and of the 100% of people that retired (60 and over) to Tennessee 1995 - 2000, these 5 states sent 39.5% of that 100% of 60+ (age) retirees to Tennessee :

Florida
Michigan
Georgia
Illinois
Ohio

But, I had visited North Carolina to check it out and heard (accents) of different retirees so I checked out that state in the book, too. Of the 100% of people that retired (60 and over) to North Carolina 1995 - 2000, these 5 states sent a whopping 53.0% of that 100% of 60+ retirees to North Carolina:

Florida
New York
Virginia
South Carolina
New Jersey

Now, I'm thinking a lot of people who leave Florida probably come from NY and NJ originally but I must say that North Carolina's slice of retiree aged Floridians (16.2%) is a lot bigger than Tennessee's slice (12.6%). And the Number 2 state in Tennessee (Michigan) at 7.8% doesn't come close to the Number 2 state in North Carolina (New York) at 14.7%.

So, when they take the next census in 2010 and you have the baby boomer population looming large in the retiree numbers, do you think the Top 5 states sending retirees to Tennessee will still be Florida, Michigan, Georgia, Illinois and Ohio?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2006, 01:38 PM

212 posts, read 923,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm a numbers junkie and I'm reading this book about retirement migration in America and of the 100% of people that retired (60 and over) to Tennessee 1995 - 2000, these 5 states sent 39.5% of that 100% of 60+ (age) retirees to Tennessee :

Florida
Michigan
Georgia
Illinois
Ohio

But, I had visited North Carolina to check it out and heard (accents) of different retirees so I checked out that state in the book, too. Of the 100% of people that retired (60 and over) to North Carolina 1995 - 2000, these 5 states sent a whopping 53.0% of that 100% of 60+ retirees to North Carolina:

Florida
New York
Virginia
South Carolina
New Jersey

Now, I'm thinking a lot of people who leave Florida probably come from NY and NJ originally but I must say that North Carolina's slice of retiree aged Floridians (16.2%) is a lot bigger than Tennessee's slice (12.6%). And the Number 2 state in Tennessee (Michigan) at 7.8% doesn't come close to the Number 2 state in North Carolina (New York) at 14.7%.

So, when they take the next census in 2010 and you have the baby boomer population looming large in the retiree numbers, do you think the Top 5 states sending retirees to Tennessee will still be Florida, Michigan, Georgia, Illinois and Ohio?
Interesting to see SC listed there. I thought it was inexpensive to live in SC so it just doesn't seem to fit in with the other states

Old 09-17-2006, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tismekll View Post
Interesting to see SC listed there. I thought it was inexpensive to live in SC so it just doesn't seem to fit in with the other states
Less than 5 percent of people move out of state when they retire. So, people who don't go far, don't surprise me. For example I'm from Maryland. Florida is the number one destination for relocating Maryland retirees over 60 but Number 2 is Virginia and number 3 is Pennsylvania, both bordering states. Delaware is also in the Top 5, another bordering state.

Among the Top 5 states of retirees who relocate from Tennessee (an inexpensive place to live) are Kentucky and Mississippi.

I'd just be very interested to see the impact the Interenet, e-mail and cell phones have had on baby boomer decisions to relocate in retirement. The last census was in 2000, and while I don't know if the states people choose to relocate to will have changed from 2000, I'd bet the author of the book, Retirement Migration In America, will find more than 5% will have relocated out of state after the next census simply because it's easier and inexpensive to stay in touch with family on a daily basis. Besides e-mail, you can share photos via the internet and your cell phone and you can even see people you are talking to using your computer.

Old 09-17-2006, 02:17 AM

950 posts, read 3,191,239 times
I will have to check out that book soon.

You can see ten-top states for retirees relocating: http://www.stateline.org/live/ViewPa...ontentId=45531

I am sure Tennessee will continue to attract retirees from elsewhere, including surrounding states but probably not as much what North Carolina, Georgia and South Carolina are experiencing.

Old 09-17-2006, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I will have to check out that book soon.

You can see ten-top states for retirees relocating: http://www.stateline.org/live/ViewPa...ontentId=45531

I am sure Tennessee will continue to attract retirees from elsewhere, including surrounding states but probably not as much what North Carolina, Georgia and South Carolina are experiencing.

Some states have established an organized campaign within the state government to attract retirees to their state but I wonder if they target particular states for their PR campaign and if so, how they pick the states to target.

Old 11-27-2006, 03:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,998 times
Default Name of the book

What book is this info in? I'd love to track down the book. Do you know name of book and author? Thank you!

Old 11-27-2006, 06:00 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Default Not completely...

"Now, I'm thinking a lot of people who leave Florida probably come from NY and NJ originally"

That seems to be a common perception.

I lived in southwest Florida for 10 years and never met anyone from New Jersey or New York. The area is flooded with mid-western retirees. You will see your share of New Englanders, but most of them are there two see a few games during Red Sox spring training.

I lived in Orlando for awhile and didn't meet anyone from NY and NJ, either. The east coast of Florida has a lot of people from NY and NJ.

Old 11-28-2006, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
"Now, I'm thinking a lot of people who leave Florida probably come from NY and NJ originally"

That seems to be a common perception.

I lived in southwest Florida for 10 years and never met anyone from New Jersey or New York. The area is flooded with mid-western retirees. You will see your share of New Englanders, but most of them are there two see a few games during Red Sox spring training.

I lived in Orlando for awhile and didn't meet anyone from NY and NJ, either. The east coast of Florida has a lot of people from NY and NJ.
I haven't lived in NY for 11 years, now, but when I did, Florida is where you went when you retired and moved away.

....Uh, I don't think anyonyone from NYC, Westchester or Long Island would move to Florida to be near the Red Sox so I'm thinking the Red Sox may be why none of those NYers move there. Some of them may say "High costs? Overcrowding? Not a problem," but the same would say --- "The Boston Red Sox? No waaaay!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I am sure Tennessee will continue to attract retirees from elsewhere,
I mentioned this to my friend and she said she thinks it's a desire for people who live near I-95 now to be near I-95 when they retire so they can make uncomplicated, fairly quick trips to visit family and friends. This may explain why people from the NYC area, for example, choose Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia over Tennessee, Mississippi, Kentucky or Alabama when they retire.

I bet that a lot of NYC metropolitan area people who live in Tennessee now, did not come there directly from NY but lived someplace else in between. I still "tawk" like I'm from Long Island but haven't lived there for 11.5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swebb View Post
What book is this info in? I'd love to track down the book. Do you know name of book and author? Thank you!
The book is Retirement Migration In America. Its in its second edition. The author is Longino.

If you can't find it in a library, I can tell you, you can get it online from the number one magazine that you think of when you are considering where you want to live when you retire. I can't say the actual name of the publication where it can be purchased or it will be bleeped out as advertising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee