Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 09:55 PM

69 posts, read 125,980 times

Advertisements

I own a Mortgage Co, in Florida, as halarious as it sounds, its not. We just moved here in May, and things were good till this last month. Anyhow long story short, I have applied my brains and fingers out considering I have both medical and financial experience and nothing. Just curious if there is another place I should be searching... Been to hot jobs.com, careerbuilder.com, and local papers to no avail. I maybe got whopping total of 2 calls in the past 3 weeks and the wage was a joke... I even paid to have my resume professionally smoking done which I kid you not a foot hangs out of it and rears you when not looking, LOL...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 02:40 AM

2,171 posts, read 7,659,348 times
Network, network, network.
Southerners, especially in smaller towns and cities, hire people they know. You don't need a lifelong connections with them but they do need to know who you are. They need to have seen you face to face or know someone who has.
Go to Chamber of Commerce meetings, rotary club, any other gathering you can find out about.
Talk to people, tell them about yourself and listen to them talking. Talking is a major past-time in the South and you need to be a player.
Get the word out that you're looking for a job and what your field is.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:10 AM

14,955 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Quote:
I even paid to have my resume professionally smoking done which I kid you not a foot hangs out of it and rears you when not looking,
Whaa???? Is this a lucid thought? Lol... I hope your resume is better. Good luck with your search!!

Old 09-12-2007, 06:11 AM
pdq

170 posts, read 527,219 times
In East TN it helps to be a local, thats just the sad facts. Many businesses will hire a lesser qualified local over a more qualified outsider. Many people here just don't completely trust outsiders, years and years of thoughts of getting the lesser end of the deal. I heard a lady just last week say that the Yankees are coming in and taking up all the good homes and jobs. This mind set is prevalent here. The locals will never say these things to your face, they smile and act kind, but they think these things and act on them accordingly. This is not Nashville, Atlanta, or Charlotte. There are jobs here but the pay is low, very low. I would suggest that you start your own mortgage company but the next few years look rough in the business.

I personally liked your resume reference, many locals would not. This is what I mean.

Good luck to you.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:30 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq View Post
I personally liked your resume reference, many locals would not. This is what I mean.
These are true words. Of course, it isn't so much that I didn't like it as I have never heard the term before

Old 09-12-2007, 06:46 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,680,009 times
If you're good at sales I'm sure you'll be able to find something. Ever think about getting your insurance license?

Old 09-12-2007, 07:09 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
If you are looking only in Jefferson County, it will be very tough for you I believe. I would suggest you look towards Knoxville.
The mortgage business is actually pretty good here.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:34 AM

14,955 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Default Interesting post....

Quote:
SolorzanoAssociates (posted)
Moved to TN from Miami and....

well its a culture shock for the most part, these people are narrow minded, and hipocrits to say the least. They may smile at ya, but inside can't believe you are here and with an accent to top it off.. It is a beautiful place with less stress I will give you that, less taxes less insurance, yada yada. But I am curious how many of you; who have been in Miami or like me; who was lived in Miami since I was 2 actually move?
Wow... talk about playing both sides against the middle!
I bet you didn't pass the "sharing and playing well with others" segment of your training. It's no wonder your not doing well in Tennessee!!

Maybe it's you? and not the rest of the world!

Old 09-13-2007, 07:40 AM

62 posts, read 206,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Wow... talk about playing both sides against the middle!
I bet you didn't pass the "sharing and playing well with others" segment of your training. It's no wonder your not doing well in Tennessee!!

Maybe it's you? and not the rest of the world!

You saw that too huh? This kind of behavior DISGUSTS me.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:47 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,680,009 times
Soloranzo, my friend, you need to pull the throttle back on that "Miami" way of thinking. That is exactly the type of attitude that will more than likely get you no where here in TN.

We've noted a number of persons from there (and I speak from experience having lived in South Florida for 20+ years) act as if they're entitled to everything, and want to push to the front of the line to get theirs first. That is not how things work here, and it's something I have to remind myself constantly as well.

I've found mostly friendly people up here since leaving Florida. (interesting side note...while caravaning up here...we were cut off and given the bird by a Florida driver while coming up the turnpike. Apparently he didn't think we were driving fast enough)

This is exactly part of the reason we wanted out. Next week we're getting the FL car plates switched out for TN ones, having shook the dust off our shoes we will not be looking back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee