U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 10:42 AM

37 posts, read 68,049 times

Advertisements

I know EXACTLY why I want to live in TN.

Every time my husband and I have been to TN to visit we feel like we are stepping back in time slightly. Not a lot. Just a little. Things are very laid back and it is a MUCH slower pace of life. This pace of life will take some adjusting to for me, but I think it is exactly what my husband needs. I love him enough that I am willing to learn to adjust to the slower way of life.
We love how friendly everyone is and last but not least it is so beautiful there. I would love a smaller town that when I walk into a store the owner or employee's call me by name. You don't really get around here in MD much. I've lived my whole life in MD. I'm 37 yrs old. I want to venture out of my comfort zone. I want to see if the grass is greener, and if it isn't then I think it's worth the fertilizer to make it so in TN. But here in MD I just don't care to even try anymore.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:30 PM

20,031 posts, read 20,528,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charityr View Post
I know EXACTLY why I want to live in TN.

Every time my husband and I have been to TN to visit we feel like we are stepping back in time slightly. Not a lot. Just a little. Things are very laid back and it is a MUCH slower pace of life. This pace of life will take some adjusting to for me, but I think it is exactly what my husband needs. I love him enough that I am willing to learn to adjust to the slower way of life.
We love how friendly everyone is and last but not least it is so beautiful there. I would love a smaller town that when I walk into a store the owner or employee's call me by name. You don't really get around here in MD much. I've lived my whole life in MD. I'm 37 yrs old. I want to venture out of my comfort zone. I want to see if the grass is greener, and if it isn't then I think it's worth the fertilizer to make it so in TN. But here in MD I just don't care to even try anymore.
I agree with SKYSEA's post. I just dont get where TN is high crime. I have lived in Putnam/Cumberland for over 30 years and have never felt there was much crime compared to other areas. Of course it has gotten worse over the years (as with everywhere), but then the population has increased and times change. As has been mentioned, drug related crimes (meth and prescription pills) are the main problem. My brother is an officer, so I also hear the inside scoop on what is going on crime wise.

I think the crime rate will be the least of your concerns.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:22 PM

37 posts, read 68,049 times
2mares - do you have children who attended schools in the Putnam/Cumberland counties?

Old 03-26-2012, 05:40 PM

11,609 posts, read 31,794,417 times
Quote:
2mares - do you have children who attended schools in the Putnam/Cumberland counties?
Putnam County's schools are much better than Cumberland County's schools. Cumberland County has a lot going for it, but not its schools. Having a mid-major university in Cookeville with a large College of Education certainly helps Putnam County have such good schools. And, since Putnam County has a semi-open school system (your kids can go to any school in the county, no matter where you live, as long as there's room and you provide the transportation) you can theoretically live in a very rural part of the county and still take advantage of the excellent schools in and around Cookeville.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession

Old 03-26-2012, 06:23 PM

20,031 posts, read 20,528,200 times
Quote:
My kids are grown but they did attend Monterey schools. I attended Monterey High and my gkids are in Cumberland Co. IMO the schools are lacking in some ways mostly due to lack of funding. They are also great as far as safty and teacher involvement. I really dont have much to compare them to tho except my memories of attending school in Dayton Ohio and comparing my opinion of education between the kids here and my young relatives still attending Dayton public schools and overall the kids here are as much if not more, Ill use the word educated, than those in the city. JMT is the one to talk to about the school systems.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:54 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,251,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Putnam County's schools are much better than Cumberland County's schools. Cumberland County has a lot going for it, but not its schools. Having a mid-major university in Cookeville with a large College of Education certainly helps Putnam County have such good schools. And, since Putnam County has a semi-open school system (your kids can go to any school in the county, no matter where you live, as long as there's room and you provide the transportation) you can theoretically live in a very rural part of the county and still take advantage of the excellent schools in and around Cookeville.

I second the recommendation for Cookeville's schools. While I don't have 1st hand experience, they do have a good reputation. Cookeville High, I believe, offers the highly regarded International Baccalaurete program which is hard to find outside of major metropolitan areas.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:27 PM

231 posts, read 468,468 times
Default Tn rated #2 for the State with the most viole t crime

Those crime statistics are primarily driven by the larget cities. Of course Mthis everywhere, but ti's generally not a problem as long as you don't associate with the wrong crowd. As aleady stated, I would skip lavergne due to it's proximity to Nashville, but the ther areas you mention would be OK.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:00 AM

22,534 posts, read 46,098,082 times
I live in Knoxville and compared to Orlando and Fort Myers, Florida, this area is very calm, crime-wise. And this is coming from someone that was a crime reporter up in Central Mass.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:45 PM

6,486 posts, read 13,789,982 times
In my experience crime is mostly concentrated in some very poor, very uneducated rural areas (like the Del Rio area of Greene/Cocke counties) and in some very poor, very uneducated urban areas (like the southwest loop in Memphis). If you avoid these areas and use common sense then it doesn't matter if Tennessee is the most dangerous or the most safe state in the union.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:13 PM

9,520 posts, read 13,357,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I dont know why anyone would consider moving to rural TN, what with the dangerously high rampant crime committed by the hoards of poor diabetes stricken, nutritionally challenged, heart attack waiting to happen infantile locals. Its quite a rural phenomenon you will never see in the rest of the county.
Couldn't rep you again so you'll have to settle for a virtual rep, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or