U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-23-2012, 05:30 PM
 
Location: Taneytown, MD
37 posts, read 68,023 times
Reputation: 23

Advertisements

I was doing some research this morning and came across several articles stating that TN was either #2 or #3 for the state with the most violent crimes. (depending on if you count D.C. as a state because if you did it rated #1 and then LA was #2 putting TN in #3)

Anyway, I dug a little more and found the Memphis is #6 for the most dangerous cities because of it's high murder rate.

Outside of Memphis how dangerous is TN really? We are looking to move this summer and we're considering Rutherford, Cannon, Smith, Putnam, and Cumberland counties. We live in a small town in MD now. Compared to some of your small towns our town looks huge But we are use to being safe here. I don't want to move my daughters to a unsafe environment.
Can anyone tell me why they think TN rated so high in violent crimes? Do you really think it is just because of Memphis? Is the rest of the state safe?

Please put my mind at ease that I am moving to a safe location

 
Old 03-23-2012, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Boston
1,432 posts, read 3,249,583 times
Reputation: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by charityr View Post
I was doing some research this morning and came across several articles stating that TN was either #2 or #3 for the state with the most violent crimes. (depending on if you count D.C. as a state because if you did it rated #1 and then LA was #2 putting TN in #3)

Anyway, I dug a little more and found the Memphis is #6 for the most dangerous cities because of it's high murder rate.

Outside of Memphis how dangerous is TN really? We are looking to move this summer and we're considering Rutherford, Cannon, Smith, Putnam, and Cumberland counties. We live in a small town in MD now. Compared to some of your small towns our town looks huge But we are use to being safe here. I don't want to move my daughters to a unsafe environment.
Can anyone tell me why they think TN rated so high in violent crimes? Do you really think it is just because of Memphis? Is the rest of the state safe?

Please put my mind at ease that I am moving to a safe location
Nashville, like any big city, definitely has some rough areas.
Jackson, a smaller city in West TN, also has a reputation for being high-crime.

All of the counties you listed are very safe. The only area I'd advise you to avoid would be LaVergne in Rutherford County but the rest of the county is pretty safe. Although, Murfreesboro is now a fairly large city with a huge university so is has its issues but nothing big.
 
Old 03-23-2012, 06:50 PM
 
Location: Taneytown, MD
37 posts, read 68,023 times
Reputation: 23
Silly question maybe, but where does LaVergne relate to Readyville? We are extremely interested in a piece of property in Readyville TN, which is Rutherford County.
 
Old 03-23-2012, 06:51 PM
 
Location: Boston
1,432 posts, read 3,249,583 times
Reputation: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by charityr View Post
Silly question maybe, but where does LaVergne relate to Readyville? We are extremely interested in a piece of property in Readyville TN, which is Rutherford County.
LaVergne is almost an hour from Readyville.

Readyville is far from the urban and suburban parts of Rutherford County. In fact, Readyville itself is located (barely) in Canon County.
 
Old 03-23-2012, 06:56 PM
 
Location: Taneytown, MD
37 posts, read 68,023 times
Reputation: 23
I've heard the school system in some counties past Nashville are REALLY bad, can anyone confirm or deny this? Such as Humphreys & Hickman County
I've been told that the schools are better if you don't pass Williamson County. We have two daughters. One in Middle school and one in elementary school. Can anyone tell me about schools in Rutherford, Cumberland and Morgan county? What about Putnam and Smith?

I really want to make sure my daughters are in a good school system and safe. No gangs and such. We are coming from a predominantly white school district now. Not that I am racist at all, because we are not, but we would prefer a school district where white is the majority not the minority. Gosh I sure hope that doesn't come across wrong.
 
Old 03-23-2012, 07:00 PM
 
Location: Boston
1,432 posts, read 3,249,583 times
Reputation: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by charityr View Post
I've heard the school system in some counties past Nashville are REALLY bad, can anyone confirm or deny this? Such as Humphreys & Hickman County
I've been told that the schools are better if you don't pass Williamson County. We have two daughters. One in Middle school and one in elementary school. Can anyone tell me about schools in Rutherford, Cumberland and Morgan county? What about Putnam and Smith?

I really want to make sure my daughters are in a good school system and safe. No gangs and such. We are coming from a predominantly white school district now. Not that I am racist at all, because we are not, but we would prefer a school district where white is the majority not the minority. Gosh I sure hope that doesn't come across wrong.

In Middle TN the best school systems are in Williamson, Sumner, Wilson, and Rutherford counties. Within these systems the suburban area schools tend to be excellent while the rural schools are more average. Whites would be the vast majority in most schools in these systems.

I've heard that Cookeville has excellent schools in Putnam's system but I'm not sure about the more rural areas.
 
Old 03-23-2012, 07:22 PM
 
Location: Brentwood, Tennessee
39,037 posts, read 37,675,762 times
Reputation: 73651
The areas you mention are all very rural areas, most could even be called "country."

Here there is a difference between a small town and "country."

The Readyville area is in the middle of nowhere. It's a beautiful area, but there is nothing there.

Your best bet at this stage would be to compare the Wikipedia pages and Census data for the towns you are interested in. Look at median income and level of education. Then compare the town website for your town of Hampstead to the websites of towns in your target areas (if they even have websites).

What area the reasons for your move? What are you looking for?
 
Old 03-23-2012, 08:09 PM
 
Location: Taneytown, MD
37 posts, read 68,023 times
Reputation: 23
We are coming down to TN next week. Leaving March 30th, plan to be at the campground by March 31st. Staying until April 10th to check out different areas.

Moving because we are sick and tired of the hustle and bustle of MD. Want a slower more laid back type of lifestyle. I grew up on a 90 acre farm here in MD. I want that for my daughters but we can not afford that here in MD. In TN we stand a better chance of getting land and a house within our price range.
 
Old 03-23-2012, 08:47 PM
 
Location: Brentwood, Tennessee
39,037 posts, read 37,675,762 times
Reputation: 73651
Naturally, the land will cost more in the areas with the better school districts.

How much acreage are you wanting? Will it be a working farm?
 
Old 03-23-2012, 08:50 PM
 
Location: Taneytown, MD
37 posts, read 68,023 times
Reputation: 23
Guess the depends on what your idea of a working farm is? We would probably have a garden large enough to service our family. Maybe a little extra to sell roadside. Maybe a couple cows again enough to service our family.

We are looking for 60+ acres, the more the merrier, with at least one house and hopefully some out buildings. Not looking to spend over $500,000 and need to be able to build a 2nd home for my parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top