U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2012, 08:22 AM

33,945 posts, read 32,373,038 times

Advertisements

"Volkswagen is conducting a national search to fill the most specialized of 1,000 new jobs at its Chattanooga plant. The German automaker said Monday that it is using a national print and online advertising campaign to fill specialty positions, including maintenance technicians, manufacturing engineers and logistics supervisors. Officials stress that VW seeks to hire locally as much as possible, but the more than 100 new jobs requiring specialized experience call for casting a wider net...“We’re looking in Michigan and we’re looking in the South,” Hans-Herbert Jagla, vice president for human resources for Volkswagen Chattanooga, said in a phone interview."

VW conducting search to fill Tennessee jobs | Lansing State Journal | lansingstatejournal.com

This is a Michigan newspaper story so the question begs why can't Tennessee produce qualified applicants to fill these jobs? If you read the article it says the cars they are making are really selling like hotcakes so it can't be an issue of job security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 09:41 AM

286 posts, read 591,759 times
Why can't Tennesseans produce more qualified applicants?

Because it's not a priority for Tennesseans.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:29 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,362,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcredux View Post
Why can't Tennesseans produce more qualified applicants?

Because it's not a priority for Tennesseans.
You know, you could always move.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:22 AM

352 posts, read 699,667 times
Personally I think they are looking for experience in the field. No one around here have had jobs at auto plants, we've only seen them on TV One of the reasons the county is opening a VW training center along with Chattanooga State. We've never had a reason to have this type of training before.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:45 PM

645 posts, read 1,153,050 times
Yes they specifically say that these jobs require specialized experience. It does not have anything to do with intelligence, etc., but the fact the area does not have an abundance of people around that have worked in whatever specific expertise they need.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:41 PM

3 posts, read 5,453 times
Default Volkswagen Jobs

I applied for the maintenance job and got a call to take the test which was in March 2012, haven't heard anything yet, I have a couple of friends who work there and one of them found out I passed the test, I have applied for Supervisor jobs also which I have experience in, does anyone know how long it takes for them to let you know something.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:47 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,203,983 times
well if they do hire people lets hope that they hire people who want to take their time and do the job right the first time as opposed to those who want to rush rush rush as fast as they can so they can sit on their butts for hours or go out to the bars.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:15 AM

7 posts, read 11,730 times
Cool The Hotcakes were Never That Good, I guess

I guess the over-rated Passat is not "selling like hotcakes" now that VW has eliminated its entire third shift of 500 Aerotek workers. VW loves to lie to Chattanooga's citizens, so just like they "MAY" build the engines here, as implied back in 2009, (VW engines are currently being manufactured in Mexico), we are all supposed to hold our breaths for the production of a new VW SUV to be produced here with the retired 3rd shift crew? Wait! I mean, well you know, they will just build themselves. All the incentives and tax breaks given to VW at the expense of much needed tax revenue just gone....POOF
Yeppers, crony capitalism at its finest! You cant make this junk up fast enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or