Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 04:42 PM

37 posts, read 77,912 times

Advertisements

My family is considering relocating to TN. We are currently in MD. My family consists of my husband, myself and our two daughters.
We would also be making this relocation with my parents.

We hate living in MD. Hate everything about it. My husband and I came to TN 12 yrs ago for our honeymoon and fell in love with it. It has always been my husbands dream to live in TN.

We would like to purchase a large plot of land (100 + acres). We would like to be able to have two separte homes. One for us and one for my parents. Our dream is to be able to give our daughers land so they can build also when they are adults (if they want to)

Our real dream is to have a property that we could run a business from. I am currently a Cerified Professional Photographer and I specialize in wedding and high school senior photography. I would love to have a event venue and be able to host weddings/receptions on our property, plus have a photography studio. I currently have a home studio in MD but I would love to have a separate building for my studio in TN.

My husband is a electrician, but also has LOTS of experience with heavy equipment operation.

Can someone tell me what the wedding industry is like in TN? Can what the job market is like for electricians and heavy equipment operators.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for which areas in TN would be best for such a property/business venture. We have traveled to both east and west TN and LOVE both areas.

(As I write this we are currently in TN for vacation, Nashville area)

Any suggestions, advice, comments are welcomed.

We really want to get away from the mad crazy life in MD. We could never afford to do what we want to do in MD. Plus we really just hate the way of life in MD.

Thanks in advance.
Charity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 07:41 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Land isn't cheap in TN, so I hope if you're looking for a 100 acre farm, you've got a lot of money.

There are places like that to be found, but they are few and far between. I know my dad bought 6.5 acres back in 91 for around 35,000 total. But that was then, and land values have increased since then. Places around Nashville are going to be even more expensive.

If money isn't a problem, I'd just contact a real estate agency. Get some ideas from them, and then float them here to get a personal feel. JMO

Old 07-24-2009, 07:56 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,753,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Land isn't cheap in TN, so I hope if you're looking for a 100 acre farm, you've got a lot of money.
Land in TN is a whole heck of a lot cheaper than MD.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:06 PM

Land in TN is way cheaper then MD. I have been looking on the land and farm website. I can easily find 100+ acres in TN for around $300,000 (land only). I can't touch 100+ acres in MD for less then a million dollars and I ain't kiddin.

You can't even buy a townhouse here for less then $200,000. Even in this economy! Crazy

Old 07-24-2009, 08:20 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
Good farmland is cheap compared to what "homesteaders" pay for small acerages that is extremely hilly,rocky, and they call it " prime farmland" even though it probably never produced a crop.

However, if you want mountain scenery and 100 acres of it-------you will pay thru the nose.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:01 PM

Default Hoping the grass is greener in TN

Please help! My family would like to relocate to TN. Which part of TN we are not sure. This is where we could use some help.

Here is what we are looking for:

Looking to purchase a large plot of land (100ac+) with a house and barns/storage buildings. We would like to be able to build additional homes on the land as we are making this move with my parents. Love my parents but they will need their own separate house. Ideally we would LOVE to purchase a campground and have a family run business. But we really want a land!
My husband is an electrician. I currently own a photography studio here in Maryland where we live now. My husband will of course have to find work before we move out there and work while we get things rolling hopefully with a campground. I am not sure if I will try to start a photography business there or not. Guess it depends on whether or not there is a market for it. I could always try to 2nd shoot for another photographer. I am also a fitness instructor so I wouldn't mind being able to teach some group fitness classes.
We have two daughters. One currently in 7th and another in 4th grade. Finding a location within a great school district is very important to us. However we need to also be in a location that my husband can find work. He doesn't mind traveling some to get to work, say 45 mins one way is shorter then his 1 1/2 hour commute now.

We want something with rolling hills and water. Water does not have to be lake access, just needs to have some type of moving water on the property.
We want to be part of a friendly community but of course since we are looking for such a large piece of property we're not really worried about next door neighbors.

Honestly we are just sick of the B.S. here in Maryland. The taxes are killing us! We want a friendly down home kind of atmosphere. Slower pace of life. Nice people.

My husband and I went to Gaitlinburg (sp?) TN for our honeymoon 14 yrs ago and fell in love. We always said one day we would move to TN. We went back to Gaitlinburg about 5 yrs ago. We really loved the drive out there and just love the area. We've also been to Nashville and loved that area also. Actually we have not driven through an area of TN that we didn't think we beautiful.

Please give me some direction, some guidance.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:10 PM

382 posts, read 489,005 times
In some ways yes and in other ways no. Maryland is one of the wealthiest and nicest states in America. Tennessee is one the poorest and most dangerous states, but you can find nice areas you just have to look hard enough. I suggest the suburbs of Nashville, good bang for your buck and nice people with a mix of people around the nation.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:27 PM

What makes you say the TN is one of the most dangerous states?

Old 09-22-2011, 08:20 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charityr View Post
What makes you say the TN is one of the most dangerous states?
Id like to know that as well. I've lived here in mid tn for over 30 yrs. and have never considered it a dangerous state.

Keep in mind that good schools and jobs are not normally going to be found in areas where you find a friendly community and affordable acrage with water. As with every where else, good schools require tax dollars which are associated with higher populations. Jobs are also more abundant in more populated areas. Acrage is more expensive and harder to find in more populated surburban areas. Not that what you seek cant be found at a price.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:58 PM

851 posts, read 2,458,282 times
Just to let you know there are quite a few campgrounds around TN. I think just about one at every exit on I75. Or maybe it just seems like it. Good luck with your search. TN is a beautiful state. "one of the most dangerous states" not sure why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee