U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2012, 12:46 PM

960 posts, read 1,821,251 times

Advertisements

A conversation I had recently got me to thinking if where I was born was just that or, it's where I'm from, meaning home and roots.

I was Born in Memphis but only lived there for less than two years. Later I was stationed at NATTC Millington while in the Navy going to school.

Dad was in the Army so we lived all over the U.S. moving every two years. Both of my parents are from Arkansas so when Dad went to Viet Nam both times we lived in Trumann, about an hour from Memphis.

I can't remember a summer that I didn't go to Memphis to visit relatives or Arkansas or Mississippi.

In the late 70's I lived with my aunt and uncle in Horn Lake and work in Memphis for Murphy Marine as a deck hand on a local towboat.
It was hard work and hot but, I would find myself standing on a barge as we went up or down the river just taken in by the river and its surroundings. I had this sensation of history and home.
I knew I was from the south but not until that summer did I considered myself a sotherner.
The sights and sounds of the Mississippi River are forever in my soul.

My life has taken me around the world and the U.S. I was stationed in Texas where I met my wife and where I have lived for over twenty years.

In a nut shell (sorta) there's my story.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:43 PM

39,195 posts, read 37,806,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeytrot View Post
The sights and sounds of the Mississippi River are forever in my soul.
It does that to you.

Nice post! Thanks for sharing!

I guess that's why they say, "Home is where your heart is!"

Old 04-26-2012, 07:21 AM

352 posts, read 701,044 times
My mother is from Ireland, so during my summers growing up I spent the weeks in Ireland. I am a southern girl to the bone, but every year when i go to Ireland I feel like I am suppose to stay One day I will! Come on sugar daddy, LOL.
My eldest cousin came here a few years ago and fell in LOVE with Chattanooga. To know someone feel in love with Chattanooga who lives on the greenest island in the world, i was proud

Old 04-26-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
It does that to you.

Nice post! Thanks for sharing!

I guess that's why they say, "Home is where your heart is!"
Back in the 60's I used to have a great aunt and uncle who lived in a houseboat almost under the bridge coming from West Memphis. They rented cain polls and people could fish from the small dock in front of their house.

Just above them on top of the river bank was a wearhouse that burned down and they lost their home. I remember seeing the smoke from my grandparents house 60 miles away.
My great aunt and uncle moved in with a relative but they both passed away within a year. They missed being on the river.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:50 PM

115 posts, read 199,170 times
What a sad story, Turkeytrot

I've lived my whole life in WI. I can remember back when I was in grade school 45 years ago being fascinated by Tennessee and longing to live there. Now I am trying to realize that dream... hopefully I will be making my home in beautiful east Tennessee sometime in the next few months!

Old 04-28-2012, 08:30 AM

5,426 posts, read 8,222,216 times
Do you mind telling us what took you so long?

Old 04-28-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Do you mind telling us what took you so long?
I take it you mean if I'm a Tennessean or Southerner?

A conversation with a friend of mine, both of us in our fifties. He asked me how ended up in Texas when I'm from Tennessee. The answer is in my original post. His reply to me is what got my wheels spinning.

He was born and raised in Texas. Went to college here, met his wife here, their kids were born here and they have lived in the same house for thirty years.
He said he couldn't imagine living anywhere else that wasn't home.
Then he aske me, "How do you know who you are if you pull up roots every few years and move someplace else?" ZING!!

Now he isn't the typical if you aint from Texas your nothing kinda guy. Just a hard working farmer/rancher, a simple guy who can't imagine living any other type of life than he's lived. And I can't imagine living a life other that what I have lived, other than the question of roots and a sense of home.
You can get so busy with living life doing for your family that something like this qestion doesn't come up til something or some one hits you with it.

I hope that answers your question.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:02 PM

5,426 posts, read 8,222,216 times
After I read this comment

Quote:
I can remember back when I was in grade school 45 years ago being fascinated by Tennessee and longing to live there.
I wondered why you never gave yourself an opportunity to relocate?

Old 04-28-2012, 04:28 PM

14,944 posts, read 26,665,395 times
From the TOS:

"This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics."

Please continue personal discussions via DM. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee