Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 06:46 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,051 times

Advertisements

Gov Haslam's plan know as TEAM Act knocks out any preferential treatment for veterans seeking state jobs. This bill gives managers the ability to hire anyone they see fit. This sounds like the road to nepotism with state officials being allowed to hire their in-laws, distant cousins, and those they owe favors to. I guess Gov Haslam just doesn't think too much of our veterans who are good enough to fight and die for America but are not good enough to get an edge in hiring in the state of Tennessee. Shame on you Bill.

Haslam's plan hit for not helping veterans | The Tennessean | tennessean.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 02:45 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,332,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Gov Haslam's plan know as TEAM Act knocks out any preferential treatment for veterans seeking state jobs. This bill gives managers the ability to hire anyone they see fit. This sounds like the road to nepotism with state officials being allowed to hire their in-laws, distant cousins, and those they owe favors to. I guess Gov Haslam just doesn't think too much of our veterans who are good enough to fight and die for America but are not good enough to get an edge in hiring in the state of Tennessee. Shame on you Bill.

1) Why should any group receive preferential treatment over anyone else?

2) Saying this is the path to nepotism is a bit of a stretch.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:06 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Quote:

Thanks for the info. When is he up for re-election?.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:58 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
[quote=donsabi;23343977]Gov Haslam's plan know as TEAM Act knocks out any preferential treatment for veterans seeking state jobs. This bill gives managers the ability to hire anyone they see fit. This sounds like the road to nepotism with state officials being allowed to hire their in-laws, distant cousins, and those they owe favors to. I guess Gov Haslam just doesn't think too much of our veterans who are good enough to fight and die for America but are not good enough to get an edge in hiring in the state of Tennessee. Shame on you Bill.

My guess is you don't understand the bill. Nepotism has nothing to do with this.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:49 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,378,519 times
Quote:

This is not the road to nepotism. We're already there. Especially in more rural areas.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:02 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,332,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
This is not the road to nepotism. We're already there. Especially in more rural areas.
That's what I was thinking. If anything, there has been a slow but steady drift away from that. It's certainly not gone...but this bill isn't going to do anything to change it.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:30 AM

712 posts, read 1,487,846 times
Frankly, I think it is pretty stupid to give someone the "right" to be interviewed. Or giving ANY group a leg up just because their membership to a group.

But lets assume that you do think veterans, etc. should get a leg up. There are alot of problems with the civil service process in TN that this will not fix. Giving people an interview that have no realistic chance to be hired wastes everyone's time. If a manager knows who he/she is going to hire, having to go through the whole procedure is just ineffecient and does not ultimately help the applicant or the employer.

It is even a bad law when you dont know who you are going to hire. What was happening under the old law was veterans were given points which made them more likely to be in the top 5 or so that they could technically hire. But if they did not meet qualifications, etc., they are not going to get hired anyway so you have just waste the veterans time AND you get to interview one less person that can actually be hired.

Example: I interviewed for a job years ago that I scored very high on the state exam and then the interview went well. At the end of the interview, the person told me that they liked me, but could not hire me because I was a male. Due to the circumstances that I was unaware of before applying, I completely understood why they could not hire a male. But they had to interview me so that they didnt discriminate. Stupid! Why waste my time, and then you waste an interview that could have been given to someone that you could actually hire.

Bottom line, giving a point system or giving guarantee interviews to some people might sound good to some, but at the end of the day nothing changes the fact that they will hire who they want to hire. And thats the way it should be! The state should not be telling a manager who they can or cannot hire.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:45 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
C'est la vie. Operations managers have to interview to fill quotas. HR complies, but doesnt have to hire.

That said, Haslam is alienating his constituency.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:19 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,250,169 times
Ya know..... things like this just trip my trigger.

Yes, veterans fought for our country. Some didn't come home. The same can be said for a million industries or vocations.

Giving veterans, or anyone, really, preferential treatment over anyone else, UNLESS that person's experience gained makes the person better suited for whatever the position is, is BS.

It was a CHOICE.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:19 PM

263 posts, read 614,218 times
I think Haslam is a trainwreck and is the most corrupt governor this state has seen since Ray Blanton (there's a blast from the past for you!), but...

On this particular issue, I think he's right on. Interviewing unqualified applicants simply because they're veterans is a waste of everyone's time. Giving extra points or special consideration to unqualified people is a disservice to this state's taxpayers.

Here's a way the state can help veterans: Supplement GI Bill college funding and help veterans go to college (and grad school if necessary). Then, they can qualify for entry-level jobs fair and square. That's an efficient and fair way to say 'thanks' to those who chose to enlist in the military and then leave the military for the civilian world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
View detailed profiles of: