Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 06:08 PM

53 posts, read 116,906 times

Advertisements

This is to all Tennessee members, but especially those who live in the Nashville metro area. I'd like to know how often if ever you have received a jury summons and how long you've lived in Tennessee, especially if anyone has received a lot of them.

The main reason I'm asking is that I lived in the Corpus Christi, TX area before moving to Tennessee and while there, both my parents, my sister, and I all received them regularly, nearly every year. We were all quite happy to do our civic duty the first few times, then it became annoying, and eventually infuriating every time we would receive yet another one. Now, my sister is in Houston (has received only one) and my dad is deceased, but my mom is still there and just received her 20th. I have lived in TN now for 13 years, in both Davidson and Rutherford counties and have not yet received any, which I'm happy about, but I'm a bit concerned. At least in Corpus, you don't have to serve beyond age 71. Here there seems to be no maximum age. My mom was considering moving here, but she is so done with the whole jury duty thing. I'd hate for her to have to go through that here as well and I certainly don't want to relive that either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 06:22 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Most people I know have never done it, but I have lived in TN all my life and served 3 times.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:47 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
I've lived in the Knoxville area for 7 years and never received one. I'm registered to vote, had to move, changed my address, registered cars, renewed my driver's license. I've also had a real estate license at one time and now have an insurance agent license. Nothing. I've lived in Mass. and Florida and saw a lot more action. Of course now that I've written this...I'm searching for wood to knock on.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:03 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
25 years, 1 summons in Memphis

Old 05-20-2012, 08:50 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times
In the past 4 years I have had two separate stints at the county, and a 3 month stint in federal court. Prior to that I had never been called in my entire life.

In the county, once you have served on a jury during your 3 month period you are done. Once you have served in the county you are supposedly not going to be called for 2 more years. With me, I was called 18 months later, brought my certificate in to prove prior jury duty, and I was "invited" to stay and serve again. haha. In the federal courts we were used over and over.

It's all part of being an American and a citizen in our great nation. I can't imagine that your mom would rather stay there and risk another jury duty vs moving to where you are. The judges here are very lenient on excusing folks from jury duty imho if there is a good reason. And, if they aren't, there is always the voir dire process!

Old 05-21-2012, 10:14 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
I've been here 35 years. Summoned twice. Never searved. First time it was county and I had a 6 week old baby and was nursing. Recently for federal but my boss wrote a letter saying he couldnt run the office without me, so I got out of it.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:14 PM

53 posts, read 116,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I've been here 35 years. Summoned twice. Never searved. First time it was county and I had a 6 week old baby and was nursing. Recently for federal but my boss wrote a letter saying he couldnt run the office without me, so I got out of it.
Wow, no such luck for me. Of the many summons I received in Corpus, I received one while I was working for my family business and was running one of our storefronts solo. That did not get me out of it...I had to train someone to come in and replace me for the 2 weeks that the trial lasted.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:06 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
16 years since I turned voting age...no summons. I'd probably enjoy serving but I would imagine my job would preclude me serving (sales/commission). It is interesting to read so many who've been called, and called, and called again.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:20 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
16 years since I turned voting age...no summons. I'd probably enjoy serving but I would imagine my job would preclude me serving (sales/commission). It is interesting to read so many who've been called, and called, and called again.
They have to allow you to serve and can't fire you.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:54 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
Right...but being a transactional/commission based line of work...if I don't work, I don't get paid. Or at least not as much. My dad was in a similar line of work and always got exempted from jury pools under that clause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee