U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2012, 11:15 PM

2 posts, read 3,448 times

Advertisements

I and my husband are looking to move to the chattanooga or nashville,tn area. I have been to both cities, but have yet to find out any really helpful information. We are looking for change of pace, affordable housing, lots of opportunities for hard working people, and safe to raise children. We currently live in huntsville, al, but neither of us are happy here there is nothing to do, and no real opportunity here if you are in the military or a engineer. We are looking for a place that is more progressive and open minded. Any and all information given will be greatly appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 03:34 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,368,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netta10 View Post
I and my husband are looking to move to the chattanooga or nashville,tn area. I have been to both cities, but have yet to find out any really helpful information. We are looking for change of pace, affordable housing, lots of opportunities for hard working people, and safe to raise children. We currently live in huntsville, al, but neither of us are happy here there is nothing to do, and no real opportunity here if you are in the military or a engineer. We are looking for a place that is more progressive and open minded. Any and all information given will be greatly appreciated.
One comment you'll get a lot on here is "we need to know a little bit more about you." This is one of those cases. A lot of what you desire is somewhat vague without some context. A lot of us are familiar with Huntsville, but without knowing where you came from, what you are used to, or specific interests, it will be hard to adequately help you.

For instance, you might find Huntsville boring, but for someone from a much larger city, they might find Chattanooga or even Nashville much the same, even if there are more amenities in those two cities (size wise, Huntsville and Chattanooga aren't terribly different, although I would give Chattanooga a definite advantage in the "things to do" category).

Affordable housing and a "safe" place is also a matter of perspective. There are parts of both Nashville and Chattanooga that are rather dangerous...but plenty of safe, quiet places as well. Chattanooga will definitely be the more affordable of the two, but depending on your price range, you should probably be able to find something suitable in Nashville.

So this is the part where I ask for a little bit more information. Be as specific as possible, because the more information we have, the more we will be able to tell you whether or not what you are seeking is realistic, or perhaps we can even steer you in the right direction.

-Price range/house size - what are you looking to spend? How much house do you need?

-Urban/suburban/rural - are you looking for a safer spot in town? Or the suburbs? Or a quiet rural setting within a half hour/45 minutes from town? Along with this...what size yard would be ideal?

-Do you have, or plan to have children? If yes...ages? Interests?

-Would more to do lean towards outdoors activities (hiking, camping, rafting, kayaking, rock climbing, etc) or cultural activities (museums, art galleries, theatre, opera, symphony).

-Are you interested in having access to nightlife/live music? Major concerts or tours?

-What about ease of travel? Is access to a larger airport important?

-Describe how you would imagine your ideal neighborhood (we might not be able to find a "match" per se, but this will give us an idea of what sort of area would best suit your lifestyle).

-Politics (you don't have to be specific here...)...is it important to be around likeminded people? Would you rather your community/neighborhood to be more conservative or liberal? Or does that matter to you at all? What about a community with a lot of church/religious involvement? Or would you rather be in a place where that is less active?

-Does living in a more cosmopolitan city interest you?

You don't have to answer all of these if you don't want to. The questions aren't meant to come across as prying...but they do help us know whether or not a certain place would be the right fit. Nashville and Chattanooga share some similarities...but they have a lot of differences. You may find one a lot more suitable than the other...or perhaps both or neither fit your liking.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:10 AM

701 posts, read 1,708,999 times
I'm gonna go ahead and recommend Nashville over Chattanooga.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee