U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 01:02 PM

2 posts, read 2,635 times

Advertisements

So, NYC gal, what did you finally decide? After reading all the comments (11 pages) I'm curious. Personally, I would have voted for Knoxville. Close to the Smoky Mnts, Dollywood, Gatlinburg, Cades Cove, etc. and still close enough to Nashville or Chattanooga to visit there frequently. I am orginally from middle Illinois, ended up moving to Sevierville, Tn. back in the 80's, was there for several years; then moved to northwest Ga (about 30 miles north of Atlanta), and now I am out in Az. But my fondest wish, and ultimate goal is to move back to east Tn. I love, love it there. Yes, it gets hot in the summer, and can get quite cold in the winter...but I LOVE east Tn. When I first drove through Knoxville and then onto Sevierville, I felt "at home". You know that feeling that you just have about a place...thats how I felt. I hope that where ever you settled, you are happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 05:37 PM

6 posts, read 7,330 times
It sounds like you're wanting to be a country girl, which means you don't want to go to one of the large cities such as Knoxville, Nashville, Chattanooga and Memphis. Tennessee is a diverse state with two distinct divisions. All three have their own particularly kind of beauty. East Tennessee is mountainous, Middle Tennessee is hilly and West Tennessee is gently rolling with a few areas of wetlands along rivers such as the Obion and Forked Deer. The people are friendly throughout the state. I don't think you'd have a problem anywhere in Tennessee. (I doubt if many Tennesseans who've never been there realize that Staten Island is not the best place to be. After all, it suffered major damage a couple of months ago.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_Gal_88 View Post
102? If it's 102 there now, what is the weather like in mid-July? I don't mind the heat though, I enjoy it more than the disgusting weather we have up here in NYC. We have one week of 100+ degree weather, then the next week drops down to the 70s, then back up to the 90s. Today we had thunderstorms, horrible! Can't wait to leave this dump!! ()

To be honest, I'm still undecided. I'm going to leave it up to wherever I find a job because I don't think that I could ever make a decision on my own , but my relative did tell me that if I don't find a job quickly, he will let me work at his restaurant in Memphis until I find something permanent.
102 degrees is not typical of anywhere in Tennessee. Summer temperatures are usually in the 90s, with an occasional 100 +. As far as humidity goes, it's not nearly as bad as the Gulf Coast or anywhere close to water, for that matter. It's all relative. I grew up in West Tennessee and live in Texas now; there is no comparison when it comes to humidity. Tennessee does get some winter weather but it doesn't last long.

Last edited by Beretta; 02-24-2013 at 07:26 PM..

Old 06-24-2013, 02:53 PM

17 posts, read 17,359 times
Default CA gal loves Memphis

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_Gal_88 View Post
I'm not sure. I was also thinking of living in the Southwestern part of TN, somewhere near the Mississippi river, but a few people have told me to stay away from the Memphis areas. I was also interested in towns around Nashville, but am not sure about that either.
We are S. CA. types. I've lived outside the US including in Hong Kong and many areas of Asia. We moved to the S. Main area of Memphis and we love it. You can look up crime, including type on the internet. I go out by myself early am/late without problem. There are programs for panhandling and homeless so it isn't an issue. Any big city has issues but Memphis is good at handling them. Surely in NY (and I've been there many times) you've learned to deal with this. One of the many good things about Memphis is the diversity in food and activities (shout out for Trolley Night). They get good music year round and lots of activities if you want. 30 minutes from town we can be in beautiful rural countryside in AR or MI. We can also easily drive to the beach if we want. Usually we just go to the Tom Lee park on the river. I'd say as long as you can find a job this is a good candidate, real estate is almost unbelievable compared to NY or CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or