U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 07:44 PM

39,069 posts, read 37,716,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_Gal_88 View Post
I am very curious as to why a lot of people in the Northeast shun Memphis so much. I'm used to the "ghetto" since I've been around the many broken down neighborhoods in NYC numerous times, yet they make it seem like North Memphis is a city from hell. Why? Is it that bad where a person would have to fear for their life if they make a wrong turn and end up in that part of town? Or does it just get a bad rap because it's a "dangerous" area in a friendly state?
Yes, it's this. I was born and raised in Memphis. It is a great city, but like most it has bad areas. Some of the bad areas are very bad due to poverty and crime. But many people, including members of my family, live there in nice neighborhoods and do fine. Like any city, you learn where the "bad" parts of town are and you stay out. I can't speculate why anyone in the NE would say anything about it, especially given that most probably have not even been there.

BTW North Memphis is a part of the city. It's not a separate city, like East St. Louis.

I really do believe that you are at a point where you need to visit TN and experience things for yourself so you can make an educated decision for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 07:52 PM

212 posts, read 528,128 times
I could suggest Spring Hill, it is a smaller city that is growing a lot. It is about 40min south of Nashville, (well if you go the back way and avoid I65) Rent is cheaper than Franklin , but you can be in Franklin in about 20 min or so. You can get a 2bdrm apartment for under $800 which would allow you to save to get a house. If you choose there though, you will need to learn back ways around though the main road other than I65, 31 get backed up from 630ish til around 8 am and from around 430ish to 6pm or so, but you can go out and around and avoid the congestion. Even houses are generally 20-30,000 less than Franklin. Good Luck

Old 06-18-2012, 08:59 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,084,101 times
Quote:
Thanks for your post, it's very helpful. I've actually visited my grandparents in Europe a few times in a very small farm town, so I get what your saying about the small towns in TN. I wouldn't mind staying in a small town if it was a short drive to a major city such as Nashville, Memphis, Knoxville, etc. (no more than 40 minutes). But I have been researching online since last night and Knoxville seems like a good contender. I guess it's best for me to start out in a city and then move into a smaller town when I decide to buy a house a few years down the line. After all, I am a young and it would be easier for me to make friends living in the city and also, find a job.

I am very curious as to why a lot of people in the Northeast shun Memphis so much. I'm used to the "ghetto" since I've been around the many broken down neighborhoods in NYC numerous times, yet they make it seem like North Memphis is a city from hell. Why? Is it that bad where a person would have to fear for their life if they make a wrong turn and end up in that part of town? Or does it just get a bad rap because it's a "dangerous" area in a friendly state?
When I first moved to Knoxville I rented in a rural area. That's the way the city is. In most direction from the city core you can be in the rural countryside in about 10 or 15 minutes and still be in Knoxville. So when I bought I actually moved to the city limits and it now looks exactly like the small town I grew up in.

Ponder that.

Ultimately, it will probably come down to where you live is where you find a job, like most folks, though.

Regarding Memphis, it is not that it is anymore dangerous than the bombed out areas of The Bronx or any other bad area. But here's the difference. In the scheme of things, Memphis doesn't offer that much, especially in comparison with the likes of a New York City, Chicago or Boston. If you are going to get the headaches of a big city then you should be getting some sort of a payoff. I don't think Memphis offers much of one and certainly not compared to other cities.

It is also very, very spotty. One street is very nice and then the next is ghetto and on and on. It means there is a lot of crime that spills all over the metro area. Add to that horrendous schools and brutal heat. I think Memphis could some day be a world class city. It has the potential and is now on its way thanks to the baton finally being passed to a mayor that isn't a conniving crook. But Memphis was mismanaged for a very long time. It's gonna be a minute.

But check it out for yourself. Hey, maybe it will suit you.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:28 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,370,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straw71 View Post
I could suggest Spring Hill, it is a smaller city that is growing a lot. It is about 40min south of Nashville, (well if you go the back way and avoid I65) Rent is cheaper than Franklin , but you can be in Franklin in about 20 min or so. You can get a 2bdrm apartment for under $800 which would allow you to save to get a house. If you choose there though, you will need to learn back ways around though the main road other than I65, 31 get backed up from 630ish til around 8 am and from around 430ish to 6pm or so, but you can go out and around and avoid the congestion. Even houses are generally 20-30,000 less than Franklin. Good Luck
With all due respect, we need to stop directing anyone to Spring Hill. It's not like they need help growing. Their city government seems to live in denial and thinks it's still a small farming community. As the population pushes past 30,000, they are going to start really regretting their lack of planning.

Well, unless it is their goal to be the largest city with as few traffic lights and 4 lane roads as possible.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:42 PM

41 posts, read 74,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Yes, it's this. I was born and raised in Memphis. It is a great city, but like most it has bad areas. Some of the bad areas are very bad due to poverty and crime. But many people, including members of my family, live there in nice neighborhoods and do fine. Like any city, you learn where the "bad" parts of town are and you stay out. I can't speculate why anyone in the NE would say anything about it, especially given that most probably have not even been there.

BTW North Memphis is a part of the city. It's not a separate city, like East St. Louis.

I really do believe that you are at a point where you need to visit TN and experience things for yourself so you can make an educated decision for yourself.
That's what I thought. Every city has it's rough areas and if I do move to Memphis, I'm just going to have to take some time to learn the good and bad areas. O

I'm planning on renting a car and driving across the state to explore the city. I know that everything will be different once I actually get there and get to see everything for myself.

Also, what do you guys think about Chattanooga? I know that it's south of the state near Georgia and is more like a town than a city, but is it a nice area?

Old 06-18-2012, 09:49 PM

39,069 posts, read 37,716,477 times
Chattanooga is fun to visit. I have never lived there.

It has its own forum:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/chattanooga/

Old 06-18-2012, 09:54 PM

41 posts, read 74,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post

It is also very, very spotty. One street is very nice and then the next is ghetto and on and on. It means there is a lot of crime that spills all over the metro area. Add to that horrendous schools and brutal heat. I think Memphis could some day be a world class city. It has the potential and is now on its way thanks to the baton finally being passed to a mayor that isn't a conniving crook. But Memphis was mismanaged for a very long time. It's gonna be a minute.

I have read about the former mayor of Memphis Willie Herenton supposedly ruining the city. I'm hoping that it's not as bad as some people make it seem. If I can deal with the chaos of NYC, I'm pretty sure that I can deal with a few bad folks in TN.

Since you are originally for the Northeast, I have a few curious question for you. How was the transition or moving states for you? I currently am a mess. I deep down am a patient and calm person, but I sometimes feel like a lunatic living up here (dealing with rude and blunt people, having terrible road rage because of daily traffic, fast-paced life, etc.) Was it easy for you to get used to the "slow and good life" or was it a major culture shock?

Old 06-18-2012, 10:24 PM

344 posts, read 1,036,710 times
You probably already know, but the state is, very much broken into 3 different areas and though some of the culture is the same, they also can vary. All will be culture shock.

Just my opinion, but:
West Tennessee is much more like Mississippi culturally. Maybe not exactly the same as the Deep South, but not too far off, either. It may be personal preference, but I don't think the move is worth it to West TN, including Memphis, unless you are just from that area or have an attractive job offer. There is plenty of land in West Tennessee, but it is mostly just rural farm land. While you may want something like that, the thing is you can find that in parts of the Cumberland Plateau & East Tennessee but with mountains & hills.

Spring Hill, IMO, is not desirable. Just your typical cookie cutter houses clogged next to each other that were just built within the past couple years. Again, it's personal preference, but to me there is no character.

Nashville & Knoxville are probably your best bets, or even around Chattanooga. I'm not the best expert on the particular details of those areas so I'll let someone else give you some advice. Johnson City may also be attractive, but may be on the small side for you.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:33 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,250,697 times
If you want a small town atmosphere but still close to a larger city, I would recommend checking out the Greenbrier-Ridgetop-and northern Goodlettsville areas in Davidson and Robertson counties. Goodlettsville has a quaint downtown district and the northern side along with the other cities I mentioned offer a more rural lifestyle in spite of being only 20-25 minutes from downtown Nashville. Southern Goodlettsville, near the Mall is more urban and has some crime issues but the areas I mentioned are very safe. It's also a really beautiful area with green rolling hills, horse farms, etc.

I would definitely not recommend Spring Hill.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:59 AM

22,533 posts, read 46,084,101 times
Quote:
I have read about the former mayor of Memphis Willie Herenton supposedly ruining the city. I'm hoping that it's not as bad as some people make it seem. If I can deal with the chaos of NYC, I'm pretty sure that I can deal with a few bad folks in TN.

Since you are originally for the Northeast, I have a few curious question for you. How was the transition or moving states for you? I currently am a mess. I deep down am a patient and calm person, but I sometimes feel like a lunatic living up here (dealing with rude and blunt people, having terrible road rage because of daily traffic, fast-paced life, etc.) Was it easy for you to get used to the "slow and good life" or was it a major culture shock?
I moved to Florida first - when I was 33 - and that was major culture shock. I had the misfortune of living there for 10 years. Down on the southwest side it was very, very fast paced with extremely rude people, far worse than in the northeast. Admittedly, the northeast might be the same now, too. I haven't been up there in 16 years.

Anyway, by the time I got to Knoxville I needed the break. It literally took me several years to relax and even enjoy driving again. It very well may mean that you are cut out for this laid-back lifestyle. Some folks are not meant to be where they are born. I'm convinced I'm one of those people. I'm a Yankee by birth and and East Tennessean by the grace of God and an automobile.

Chattanooga is nice enough. It has a beautiful aquarium and waterfront. Once again, I'd settle where you find a job. That's what I did. I had seriously considered Chattanooga but settled in Knoxville due to employment opportunities and I do not regret this decision. Not once in seven years. But I also have a child to raise and I love the schools here, something that you don't have to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or