U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 05:39 PM

965 posts, read 856,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_Gal_88 View Post
Thank you for that, it was definitely a very informative and interesting article. I keep on getting mixed reviews on Memphis, so I'm planning on taking some extra time to explore it in September to figure it out for myself. After all of the research, it seems like Memphis is similar to Brooklyn (where I spend a lot of time). One area is really nice, but the next few streets over is a ghetto broken down area. Maybe I will end up liking it since I won't feel as much of a culture shock as say, moving to somewhere like Lynnville where it's a small rural town (I told you, I did my research lol).

I phoned a friend today that moved to NYC from Memphis about 5 years ago. He also told me to stay in a city, such as Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville. He also told me a lot of good things about Cookeville, but that's one place that I haven't looked into yet.

My main concern of course is finding a job, but it's also finding a place where I can feel comfortable. Since I don't know anyone that currently lives there (except for one relative that lives in Germantown that I haven't seen in a long time), I'm hoping that I can become comfortable with the locals quickly. I have only heard wonderful things about Tennesseans, so hopefully it all goes well.

I do have a question though. What do Tennesseans think about people from the Northeast? I keep hearing mixed reviews about that. I don't want to be afraid to speak to people because of my Yankee accent and don't want to be judged as being a hot-headed, rude, inpatient psychopath from the North because of it.
Well my wife is from Chicago, and she has never had any issues at all. Nashville's mayor and the former governor a northern state, so no issues. Not really sure about East Tn. Our friends from Chicago love it here. Interesting side note. If you have ever seen the movie Backdraft, the HUGE firefighter, thats my sons godfather.

But Memphis is more urban than the rest of Tennessee. I could see where you would say it's similar, but it is no where as big Brooklyn and fast paced, although faster than other areas in Tennessee. Lots of cool things around. The food is great, the music is great, and it's growing again. The arts are growing at a stupid rate, which is cool. There is always something going on, and I do mean always. Even when it's 100 or 25 degrees. I have to tell my wife to slow down quite often.

I live in Midtown, well actually Crosstown. It's in between Midtown and Downtown.

What type of area are you looking for? Urban or rural it would seem from reading a few of your posts.

What type of job are you looking for? What part of town does your friend live in?

Memphis is very friendly, but it's rep kinda distorts that fact. But honestly, the state as a whole is great and friendly.

Another thing, I do not think Memphis would be a culture shock, my wife loves it here and I mentioned where she is from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 06:02 PM

41 posts, read 45,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead_vol View Post
Well my wife is from Chicago, and she has never had any issues at all. Nashville's mayor and the former governor a northern state, so no issues. Not really sure about East Tn. Our friends from Chicago love it here. Interesting side note. If you have ever seen the movie Backdraft, the HUGE firefighter, thats my sons godfather.

But Memphis is more urban than the rest of Tennessee. I could see where you would say it's similar, but it is no where as big Brooklyn and fast paced, although faster than other areas in Tennessee. Lots of cool things around. The food is great, the music is great, and it's growing again. The arts are growing at a stupid rate, which is cool. There is always something going on, and I do mean always. Even when it's 100 or 25 degrees. I have to tell my wife to slow down quite often.

I live in Midtown, well actually Crosstown. It's in between Midtown and Downtown.

What type of area are you looking for? Urban or rural it would seem from reading a few of your posts.

What type of job are you looking for? What part of town does your friend live in?

Memphis is very friendly, but it's rep kinda distorts that fact. But honestly, the state as a whole is great and friendly.

Another thing, I do not think Memphis would be a culture shock, my wife loves it here and I mentioned where she is from.

I'm a homebody, so I don't like living in such a big city that I do now. I have a very "boring" life for a New Yorker (as others tell me) because I like to spend most of my time around the house, gardening, and enjoying nature. So I don't really need to live an urban town, but I do think that I should live near a city so that I can adjust quicker. So a nice medium sized town near a city is basically perfect for me.

My relative lives in Germantown and a good friend of mine is moving back to Memphis (he just told me today ) he's moving back to Cordova, to be exact.

I am going to be looking for a job as a legal secretary or as a medical biller, I plan on going back to school to become a teacher, so I would like to be within an hour of a college (it can be a community college).

Old 06-19-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_Gal_88 View Post
I'm a homebody, so I don't like living in such a big city that I do now. I have a very "boring" life for a New Yorker (as others tell me) because I like to spend most of my time around the house, gardening, and enjoying nature. So I don't really need to live an urban town, but I do think that I should live near a city so that I can adjust quicker. So a nice medium sized town near a city is basically perfect for me.

My relative lives in Germantown and a good friend of mine is moving back to Memphis (he just told me today ) he's moving back to Cordova, to be exact.

I am going to be looking for a job as a legal secretary or as a medical biller, I plan on going back to school to become a teacher, so I would like to be within an hour of a college (it can be a community college).

Well, those kinda jobs you are better off living near a bigger city like you said. But, don't get me wrong, Memphis is not anywhere near as big, but has a lots of arts, great restaurants, and music, specifically Midtown.

I know what you mean, I like to hang around the house too. I built a raised garden for my wife this year as opposed to I guess your standard planting and she loves it. I think if you are gonna look at Memphis check out Millington, and of course Midtown. You may be surprised by it.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:36 PM
Status: "You've grown up really crazy! - Eisley" (set 3 days ago)

21,686 posts, read 32,002,926 times
Oh good golly. That guy sounded like he was looking for an episode of "Hee Haw."

I was in a bookstore in Memphis and someone had actually read Hitchens. Who would have thunk it?

I swear, there are days that the pompous attitude of my homeboys really grates.

I'm here to tell you that there are plenty of people in the city of Knoxville that have read Hitchens and more. We recently elected one of the most liberal mayors in the country, for crying out loud.

But to NYC_Gal, I wonder if I was clear. I am a Yankee with a northeastern accent, although I certainly include most my "r"s compared to 16 years ago.

My manager is a New Englander. My co-workers are locals but also many, many people from all over the country. The cities are use to tranasplants.

If you continue to listen to the people around you then you will never relocate here. A lot of people have preconceived notions about the Southeast. Frankly, I kind of like it that way. It keeps out the buffoons.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:56 PM

668 posts, read 203,672 times
Nashville seems to have alot of positive momentum and I highly recommend a visit before your final decision. I agree with others that staying in the city will lessen the inevitable culture adjustment. We live in the Nashville area and have many friends from the Northeast. We enjoy giving them as many Southern experiences as they wish.

Memphis may be your choice since you have friends and relatives there. However, Memphis has more of a Southern and Delta feel to it (like going back in time) than does Nashville. But like Nashville is more than country music, I am sure Memphis is more than Southern poverty and blues.

Best of luck in wherever you choose to live.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNEC_Dad View Post
Nashville seems to have alot of positive momentum and I highly recommend a visit before your final decision. I agree with others that staying in the city will lessen the inevitable culture adjustment. We live in the Nashville area and have many friends from the Northeast. We enjoy giving them as many Southern experiences as they wish.

Memphis may be your choice since you have friends and relatives there. However, Memphis has more of a Southern and Delta feel to it (like going back in time) than does Nashville. But like Nashville is more than country music, I am sure Memphis is more than Southern poverty and blues.

Best of luck in wherever you choose to live.
This is the attitude I am talking about. Why do Tennesseans do this? Anyway, for your information Memphis has more Fortune 500 Companies than any other city in the state. But nice reference.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:47 PM

5,123 posts, read 5,027,831 times
Quote:
This is the attitude I am talking about. Why do Tennesseans do this? Anyway, for your information Memphis has more Fortune 500 Companies than any other city in the state. But nice reference.
First, while it comes across as a backhanded complement, I believe what the poster was saying is that there is more to Memphis than it's common stereotype. Really, there is more to every city than what is perceived by the outside. Memphians have to deal with the perception that everywhere is crime-filled and run-down like Nashville has to deal with the perception that everyone likes Country music and wears cowboy boots...and Orlando is nothing more than sprawl surrounding Disney World...and Northern New Jersey is nothing but a bunch of shallow Jersey Shore guidos.

Memphis gets picked on because it's easy. It's not quite like anywhere else in Tennessee (not that it's a bad thing). Every city has it's own problems, so sometimes people like to deflect and shift focus to somewhere else. In the case of Tennesseans, Memphis is usually the scapegoat. I don't think it's right, but we all know it happens.

"Hey, I heard there is a lot of crime in Tennessee. Is that true?" Yeah, we do have a problem with crime here, but it's nothing like Memphis. They really skew the statistics in the state.

"What's up with the political corruption in Tennessee?" Well, there's definitely some corruption here, but the biggest problem is in Memphis. (hopefully this stereotype will fade with the absence of Herenton and John Ford)

"How are schools in the area?" Well, some of the rural districts aren't too good, but in most of the cities they are fine. Nashville is bad, but Memphis is awful.

You get the point.

As for Memphis having the most Fortune 500 companies, let's put a * by that.
Memphis has 3 Fortune 500 companies in the city. Nashville has 2. Davidson County, however, has 3 (1 in Goodlettsville). And Nashville's metro has 4 (Franklin has 1).

Old 06-20-2012, 06:51 PM

2,963 posts, read 1,157,957 times
Nashville is a good area, with Hendersonville and Lebanon/Mt. Juliet being prime picks.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Memphis gets picked on because it's easy. It's not quite like anywhere else in Tennessee (not that it's a bad thing). Every city has it's own problems, so sometimes people like to deflect and shift focus to somewhere else. In the case of Tennesseans, Memphis is usually the scapegoat. I don't think it's right, but we all know it happens.

"Hey, I heard there is a lot of crime in Tennessee. Is that true?" Yeah, we do have a problem with crime here, but it's nothing like Memphis. They really skew the statistics in the state.

"What's up with the political corruption in Tennessee?" Well, there's definitely some corruption here, but the biggest problem is in Memphis. (hopefully this stereotype will fade with the absence of Herenton and John Ford)

"How are schools in the area?" Well, some of the rural districts aren't too good, but in most of the cities they are fine. Nashville is bad, but Memphis is awful.

You get the point.
Yes, it's all about perception, and most of these perceptions are false. I would definately agree with you that Memphis is different than all other parts of Tennessee. That's good and bad. Good in we have our own identity and bad that we are the odd ball out. We are the dense urban center that has quite a bit of culture. I mean we are Connected to New Orleans and Chicago by 55, and we are a mix of both with our own little swagger. We are a tough, gritty, persistent city that doesn't mind 100 degree weather and some damn good BBQ, thats where the attitude and music comes from. We are not country but southern. We are black and white, and despite the perceptions, we got each others back. And this is my perception of why most of Tennessee hates us. We are completely different. I like ideas about the scapegoat, but it's deeper than that, unfortunately. But thanks for the discussion, I enjoy a good one without weak attempts at belittling this city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
As for Memphis having the most Fortune 500 companies, let's put a * by that.
Memphis has 3 Fortune 500 companies in the city. Nashville has 2. Davidson County, however, has 3 (1 in Goodlettsville). And Nashville's metro has 4 (Franklin has 1).
Nice try, but Nashville has two, Memphis three. Location, location, location.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:09 PM

5,123 posts, read 5,027,831 times
Quote:
Nice try, but Nashville has two, Memphis three. Location, location, location.
Question: do any employees that work at the HQ for Autozone, International Paper, or FedEx live outside of Memphis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee