U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 09:01 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,610,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNEC_Dad View Post
First, don't let your emotions blind you of the truth. As I stated before, Memphis is more than Southern poverty, however, that is a significant part of its identity.
OK. I apologize if I took your comment the wrong way. But poverty is significant? Have you been to Memphis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 09:39 AM

668 posts, read 407,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead_vol View Post
OK. I apologize if I took your comment the wrong way. But poverty is significant? Have you been to Memphis?
I love to visit Memphis. It is a thriving city with great music and food. Our latest visit was over the Memorial Day weekend with another family. As you tour the town, you are reminded of humble beginnings, troubled times, struggle and success. This comes through seeing the Delta poverty, hearing the wonderful Blues music, the advancement of civil rights, the rags to riches stories of Sun Studios and Stax Records. As I said before, there is more to Memphis like the Arts, sports, economy, diversity.

Nashville is so much more than undiscovered music stars waiting tables, drinking beer, and fishing. However, it is a part of the Nashville image. Nashville has bloomed in the last 10 years with professional sports teams, stable and vibrant economy through healthcare and automotive industries as leaders, new visual and musical arts venues, and a great influx of diversity of peoples and cultures from arounfd the world.

Chattanooga is more than the heavily industrial town it once was. It has developed a great downtown area and is close to many great outdoor adventures.

Knoxville is best known for UT and the Smokies but also offers a great family evironment.

The lesser known Tri-Cities area is probably best known for the Bristol racetrack. However, it has a good economy dominated by Eastman Chemicals and healthcare facilities. This area holds the history of Tennessee's early beginnings and a wonderful Appalchain culture. You will also find the schools to be among the best in the state.

Last edited by TNEC_Dad; 06-21-2012 at 10:00 AM..

Old 06-21-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I love to visit Memphis. It is a thriving city with great music and food. Our latest visit was over the Memorial Day weekend with another family. As you tour the town, you are reminded of humble beginnings, troubled times, struggle and success. This comes through seeing the Delta poverty, hearing the wonderful Blues music, the advancement of civil rights, the rags to riches stories of Sun Studios and Stax Records. As I said before, there is more to Memphis like the Arts, sports, economy, diversity.

Nashville is so much more than undiscovered music stars waiting tables, drinking beer, and fishing. However, it is a part of the Nashville image. Nashville has bloomed in the last 10 years with professional sports teams, stable and vibrant economy through healthcare and automotive industries as leaders, new visual and musical arts venues, and a great influx of diversity of peoples and cultures from arounfd the world.

Chattanooga is more than the heavily industrial town it once was. It has developed a great downtown area and is close to many great outdoor adventures.

Knoxville is best known for UT and the Smokies but also offers a great family evironment.

The lesser known Tri-Cities area is probaly best known for the Bristol racetrack. However, it has a good economy dominated by Eastman Chemicals and healthcare facilities. This area holds the history of Tennessee's early beginnings and a wonderful Appalchain culture. You will also find the schools to be among the best in the state.

Well again, I apologize. There is just so much negativity towards Memphis by people who know nothing about the place. Sorry for jumping the gun. And yes, I do think the Trial Cities are overlooked so good point. But one issue I have. Us Memphis folks like to drink good beer to. As a matter of fact Yazoo Sue is effing great. That's brewed in Nashville I believe.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:19 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,381,162 times
Quote:
As a matter of fact Yazoo Sue is effing great. That's brewed in Nashville I believe.
Sue is definitely a winner. And yes, Yazoo is brewed in Nashville. You can visit their brewery in the Gulch area.

Yazoo is hit or miss for me...but they're still a fairly young brewery. Their hoppy and heavy stuff (IPAs, stouts and porters) are good...their hefes and other varieties are really so-so.

We also have Blackstone (which has been around for a while, but has just gotten into the regional distribution game), Jackelope, Hamilton Creek, and a few other upstarts (and Calfkiller, an excellent little brewery in Sparta -- try it if you haven't. They serve it at the Flying Saucer here -- they might in Memphis as well).

I would like to see Tennessee relax their alcohol laws some, and maybe we'll see the type of craft beer explosion you see in North Carolina (specifically Asheville) and Alabama (Huntsville and Birmingham).

Speaking of...what's the craft scene look like in Memphis? Any recent upstarts?

Old 06-21-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Sue is definitely a winner. And yes, Yazoo is brewed in Nashville. You can visit their brewery in the Gulch area.

Yazoo is hit or miss for me...but they're still a fairly young brewery. Their hoppy and heavy stuff (IPAs, stouts and porters) are good...their hefes and other varieties are really so-so.

We also have Blackstone (which has been around for a while, but has just gotten into the regional distribution game), Jackelope, Hamilton Creek, and a few other upstarts (and Calfkiller, an excellent little brewery in Sparta -- try it if you haven't. They serve it at the Flying Saucer here -- they might in Memphis as well).

I would like to see Tennessee relax their alcohol laws some, and maybe we'll see the type of craft beer explosion you see in North Carolina (specifically Asheville) and Alabama (Huntsville and Birmingham).

Speaking of...what's the craft scene look like in Memphis? Any recent upstarts?
Yea. Ghost River is an excellent beer. The brewmaster used to live across the street. But its not nearly as big as Nashville. I keep hearing about others and I believe they are in the process, but none to speak of right now.

But yea it sucks that we have to go to the liquor store to buy Sue. I love that beer. I haven't really tried the other Yazoo's. Chattanooga's seems to have a good beer culture.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:30 AM

Where is the gulch in relation to East Nashville?

Old 06-21-2012, 10:33 AM

668 posts, read 407,622 times
Quote:
Well again, I apologize. There is just so much negativity towards Memphis by people who know nothing about the place. Sorry for jumping the gun. And yes, I do think the Trial Cities are overlooked so good point. But one issue I have. Us Memphis folks like to drink good beer to. As a matter of fact Yazoo Sue is effing great. That's brewed in Nashville I believe.

No apology needed. I, too, thought less of Memphis before I spent some time to get to know it better. I think that is true of many places and people. I still consider Memphis a better place for me to visit than to live but that is not true for the many people that call Memphis home. In all, Tennessee has many great cities and towns to offer as home. It comes down to what city or town best meets your needs and wants.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
No apology needed. I, too, thought less of Memphis before I spent some time to get to know it better. I think that is true of many places and people. I still consider Memphis a better place for me to visit than to live but that is not true for the many people that call Memphis home. In all, Tennessee has many great cities and towns to offer as home. It comes down to what city or town best meets your needs and wants.
Exactly. And that is the reason this state is so unique. Lots to choose from, which is great IMO.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:01 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,381,162 times
Quote:
Yea. Ghost River is an excellent beer. The brewmaster used to live across the street. But its not nearly as big as Nashville. I keep hearing about others and I believe they are in the process, but none to speak of right now.

But yea it sucks that we have to go to the liquor store to buy Sue. I love that beer. I haven't really tried the other Yazoo's. Chattanooga's seems to have a good beer culture.
Well, hopefully things will get rolling in Memphis as well. One thing I love about craft beer is that the industry seems to be so tight in terms of support to one another. While there is competition, there is also a lot of collaboration. I love going to beer festivals.

Other Yazoo offerings worth trying (that you can get in a regular store):
Good:
-Sly Rye Porter
-Hop Project
-Rye Saison

Worth trying:
-Hefeweizen
-Pale Ale

I'm not a fan of Dos Perros, but some seem to like it.

I'm not sure what is available in Memphis, but if you can't find it there, you can definitely find most of this stuff in any beer store or grocery store here.

Blackstone is pretty good as well. Especially their Porter and their APA. Their Nut Brown Ale isn't too bad, either.

Quote:
Where is the gulch in relation to East Nashville?
The Gulch is more or less an extension of downtown, just to the Southwest. It's the long narrow strip of land bordered by I-40/65 and the railroad tracks. It's easy to spot driving through because of two mid-high rise condo towers. Yazoo Brewery is located on Division Street a block away from the towers.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Yazoo...ville,+TN&z=16

Old 06-21-2012, 11:52 AM

41 posts, read 74,784 times
I'm so torn. I don't know if 2 weeks is going to be enough for me to tour Knoxville, Nashville, and Memphis. I do have a question though. Are Memphis and Nashville really more like large towns as a lot of people stay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or