U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-27-2007, 11:14 PM
 
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
382 posts, read 1,165,264 times
Reputation: 201
Cool... I can't wait to go back up there again...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-27-2007, 11:24 PM
 
261 posts, read 412,465 times
Reputation: 114
Definitely, there are a lot of great people in TN. That was a great story, very sweet.

Ok, so I'm not the only person that felt like the people in Miami are overly aggressive and somewhat rude. I wonder if it's because you have so many people with English as a second language there and they don't attempt to communicate like we expect.

Trying to see the sunny side, but they are def crazy drivers down there. Probably the worst in the country. I would put Dallas as #2 personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2007, 03:52 AM
 
Location: Orlando Florida
1,352 posts, read 4,268,471 times
Reputation: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenandoah View Post
Amen to that with most people here in SW PA. If you find someone rude, then I've found, they're not from here. We're down-home friendly, and that's just another reason to move to TN. I used to think people were the same everywhere - but found out they're not.

Give me Down Home Friendly Folk anytime!

You know, I think that's just one of the many great traits of we Appalachian Folk, both north and south Appalachia.

blessings, Shen


I have to agree with PA....(some parts)....my current boss is from central Pennsylvania....and i think he has the right balance of how a manager should be and a person should be....he has been my favorite boss so far in my 29 years....and he always talks about his town which was where Penn State is .....and says its alot different there compared to Orlando in attitudes....and Tennessee is almost the same as far as kindness goes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2007, 06:18 PM
 
Location: Ridgway/Saint Marys, PS
943 posts, read 2,248,767 times
Reputation: 385
I may be moving to Waynesboro, TN but have worked in Florida, Mississippi, North Dakota, New Hampshire and South Carolina.

Every time I've worked at a radio station in the above mentioned states, *I* always end up grtting phone calls for the number to another radio station. One time I got a call from someone looking for a radio station that was over 2 hours away at the other end of the state.

When someone calls, I tell them to hold on, I'll grab a phone book and get them the number.

People think radio stations are 4-1-1.. and as long as they're polite about it, I don't really mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2007, 07:34 PM
 
Location: Atlanta suburb
4,733 posts, read 6,261,492 times
Reputation: 3397
Wink You are a nice guy/gal in my book, Computergeek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computergeek2007 View Post
I may be moving to Waynesboro, TN but have worked in Florida, Mississippi, North Dakota, New Hampshire and South Carolina.

Every time I've worked at a radio station in the above mentioned states, *I* always end up grtting phone calls for the number to another radio station. One time I got a call from someone looking for a radio station that was over 2 hours away at the other end of the state.

When someone calls, I tell them to hold on, I'll grab a phone book and get them the number.

People think radio stations are 4-1-1.. and as long as they're polite about it, I don't really mind.
I am not too surprised with your experiences, Computergeek. I would guess that many people think that radio stations are a wealth of information about an area and are there to perform a host of public services. AREN'T THEY??? lol.

It is very kind of you to take the time to answer those questions. I'm sure that I would do the same. I know that I have in my various jobs before and even at home with a wrong number. Only takes a minute, so why not help somebody out a little?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2007, 06:26 AM
 
Location: Ridgway/Saint Marys, PS
943 posts, read 2,248,767 times
Reputation: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemthornton View Post
I am not too surprised with your experiences, Computergeek. I would guess that many people think that radio stations are a wealth of information about an area and are there to perform a host of public services. AREN'T THEY??? lol.

It is very kind of you to take the time to answer those questions. I'm sure that I would do the same. I know that I have in my various jobs before and even at home with a wrong number. Only takes a minute, so why not help somebody out a little?
I had one lady call twqice in one week, two days apart requesting a song after the AM station I worked for signed off for the day (We were on sunrise to sunset)....

...I had one lady call, aksing me to help identify the name of a song.. and I finally got to asking her where she heard it, she told me "on 93.7fm"..... (that station was more then 50 miles away and not co owned)

When I worked in Florida, the station had dozens of blue signs with white letters along hwy 520.. and everytime there was an accident, people would call me asking what was going on. I guess the name Travelers Information Radio 1300AM gave them the idea we were truly 411?

I had another lady call, asking for "the number to that 102.1 fm in sardis", when I gave her the number, and told her the studio wa slocate din the next town over, senatobia...... she proceeded to tell me, "Well, I thought they were in Sardis and aren't all radio stations intercoinnected?"

99 percent of the time, I wanted to reach thru the phone and strangle the person with the phone cord.. but i was polite, gave them the information they wanted and hung up.

I never knew who that listener could've been... owners mother, mayor's best friend.....I'm way too nice sometimes lol

Only after i hung up did I let out a scream lol

By the way, you can call me Paul < Paul Walker & Walker Broadcasting >
www . walkerbroadcasting . com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2007, 08:26 AM
 
12,347 posts, read 17,183,028 times
Reputation: 13164
A lady left a refill request on my answering machine the other day. I called her back, told her that she had reached my residence, not the pharmacy. We found the number she thought she was dialing and she was on her way.

These types of misdials happen all the time and helping/re-directing the caller is the rule, not the exception, around here. I would never have thought it was "post-worthy". It is who we are and what we do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2007, 09:26 AM
 
Location: florida
443 posts, read 1,011,077 times
Reputation: 110
Default post worthy..but it is

and when I tell the story here, people are so surprised. Here in South Fl and also in Chgo. that would most likely not happen although I too would assist and get a number for someone..or call back especially if someone thought it was a pharmacy number.

I had frequent phone calls previously from a woman with alzhiemers disease. I one time spoke on the phone with her daughter because her daughter wondered who was on the phone. We came up with some options for elder care and placement when the time came.

I want to move to an area where people are more like us, Smokey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2007, 04:15 PM
 
Location: Ridgway/Saint Marys, PS
943 posts, read 2,248,767 times
Reputation: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post

These types of misdials happen all the time and helping/re-directing the caller is the rule, not the exception, around here. I would never have thought it was "post-worthy". It is who we are and what we do.
It does happen all the time, everywhere..... but UNFORTUNATELY< it is NOT the rule everywhere.

If a person is ncie about it and not rude or dem,anding, It really doesn't bother me at all. (I, however, have had some rude people clal whatever radio station I was at and chew me out for not giving them the answer they wanted/were looking for or not giving them the answer fast enough)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2007, 04:54 PM
 
12,347 posts, read 17,183,028 times
Reputation: 13164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Computergeek2007 View Post
It does happen all the time, everywhere..... but UNFORTUNATELY< it is NOT the rule everywhere.

If a person is ncie about it and not rude or dem,anding, It really doesn't bother me at all. (I, however, have had some rude people clal whatever radio station I was at and chew me out for not giving them the answer they wanted/were looking for or not giving them the answer fast enough)

My generation, and those before me, operate pretty much the same way. If we were to receive a call and the person as the wrong number we would attempt to help the person before they ever had a chance to be rude. How you tell someone that they have the wrong number has a lot to do with their response. Tone of voice, in addition to words, are so important. I do not think that radio stations are the norm and/or can speak for the majority of the south; however. I think you get "all kinds".

In dealing with rude people, we have a term we employ: "Kill 'em with kindness". We do that until we have no choice but to show our strong southern roots backbone. The ruder people are to me the nicer I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:09 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top