U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 09:10 PM

263 posts, read 473,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
As far as transplants, some are friendly, some arent, some take on southern ways and some try to change everything, complain about everything and make fun of local folks. Overall people here are friendly and helpful, although I have seen changes with the influx of legal transplants and other transplants. As far as saying "have a blessed day" wiccans are the only one's I hear say that particular phrase. I do hear alot of "bless your heart".
I'm hoping that those 'bless your heart' remarks aren't directed at you.

It's not a compliment.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:42 PM

9,495 posts, read 13,353,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_commuter View Post

It's not a compliment.
It's not always a snark either. Some people still use it the other way, tone of voice says a lot...

Old 06-26-2012, 06:37 AM

20,021 posts, read 20,523,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_commuter View Post

It's not a compliment.
Most of the time I'm the one saying it.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:27 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,024,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
It's not always a snark either. Some people still use it the other way, tone of voice says a lot...
Yep, it's equally used to comfort someone in despair, anguish, or just emotional about something, or to compliment someone, usually a child, but sometimes just a striking or affable adult, or someone that's done a good deed..

Old 07-08-2012, 04:22 PM

2 posts, read 3,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelestis_ View Post
Hey ya'll

I'm getting married in February and my future husband and I are planning on moving to Tennessee. I have had an obsession with Tennessee since I was a little girl and I am very excited about finally getting the opportunity to move there. My fiance and I both live in New York City. He used to live in a small farming town in Europe and moved to NY when he was in his late-teens. I have always lived in New York, but I have spent a lot of time in Europe in a small mountain village, so we are both excited to be moving somewhere like Tennessee. We both feel very out of place up here in the North because of the kind of people we are.. we are very friendly and hospitable folks

Anyway, we have visited TN and loved every bit of it. I did however notice that there are a lot of Northern transplants living there. My question is, has that affected the Tennessean lifestyle at all? Are people still kindhearted, well-spoken, and respectful? It's very important for me to be around kind people, I am tired of all the typical impolite and impertinent people that I currently have to deal with on a daily basis. Also, do Northern transplants usually take on Southern ways after a while or not? Do people still use the phase "have a blessed day" and ring your doorbell to invite you to church?

If this matters at all, I am interested in moving to either the Nashville area (Mount Juliet or Franklin) or Knoxville (Knoxville itself or Maryville). We also are in our mid-twenties (don't know if that matters or not). I would also like some opinions on these areas, are they well enough for folks like us?

Thank you very much in advance.

First of all, congratulations on your coming wedding!! I hope you love it down here, and it works out well for you!!

I actually live in the middle of nowhere now(Viola, TN), and I love it. I'm close to my family and have a beautiful tract of land. I couldn't be happier. That being said, I have lived in several areas in the Nashville area being Franklin, Smyrna, Murfreesboro, and Bellevue, so I'll try and give a little insight hopefully. I'll try to address you're questions in order...There are a lot of Northern transplants here(the majority of my coworkers are from urban areas up North), but they assimilate rather well from what I see. They seem to embrace Southern culture for the most part and run with it. Surprisingly, (since I live in the country) my neighbors are from PA, NJ, and MI. They're all very nice people and have adjusted just fine.

As for the manners portion of your question...people are still generally polite and welcoming, but you'll always have certain individuals who just aren't very friendly. Hopefully, you won't have any interactions with them From what I see, the vast majority are a kind and helping people. I'm trying to do my part in keeping politeness alive in well as it's a staple of Southern culture, and it's one that needs to remain. I'm teaching my children to say "sir" and "ma'am". To some they may be antiquated terms, but as my daddy says "Good manners never go out of style." Anyway, I'm rambling I've never had anyone knock on my door to invite me to church, but if they did, I'd just say "thanks and I'd consider it". It's nothing as earth-shatteringly negative and invasive as people seem to interpret or at least to me it's not. I have heard "have a blessed day" although not terribly often.

As for the Nashville area....Franklin is a very nice town. The people were very nice, but I still felt slightly out of place at times. It is a very wealthy area, and I'm not really used to being around..that much money to be honest. They were always very nice, so any uncomfortable feelings were on my end. I did enjoy my time there though. Cool Springs Mall is very nice, and there's an innumerable amount of places to eat. It's a very safe area, and the schools (even public) are above average for the state. Nolensville, which is very near Franklin, is a gorgeous area. It's more in the country and has beautiful rolling hills and countryside. I don't know very much about the Mt. Juliet area to be honest, so I'm sorry I'm no help there.

I don't really know much of the Knoxville area either outside of what I've seen passing through to go to the Smokies. If you enjoy doing things outdoors, that may be a good fit with the National Park so close. It's very beautiful, and I highly recommend it if you've not been.

I hope I helped even a little. If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to help if I can!!! Good luck!

Old 11-24-2012, 05:39 PM

96 posts, read 183,717 times
bcasey was correct in what she said. I was also a Northern transplant (Indiana) and lived in Tennessee for four years (Franklin most of that time). There are a lot of Northern transplants there and we do assimilate well for the most part. You will have those who are embracing and those who believe the Civil War has not ended. Those who were embracing, though, did not want to become your best friend, though. Southerner's have been "bitten" many times over the years so although they are kind, generous and embracing, they aren't stupid so they will want to take some time to get to know you first and that generally means seeing you in the same place (church, work) often.

I've been called a damn yankee more often than I desired to hear. Part of my family is from the South but being "half Southern" doesn't make much a difference sometimes. And hearing "bless your heart" can be a good thing or it can be a bad thing. If you are sick or have had bad luck lately, you will hear it and it will be sincere. If you just said or did something stupid, you will hear it in a different context :-) If you like healthy eating, don't plan on going out to eat in Tennessee. They cook everything in bacon grease. Healthy to them is just the fact that they ate their collard greens for lunch, not the fact it was cooked in bacon grease, lol! I'm ok with that, I was raised that way and at home I can cook it without using the grease. It's just a shock if you don't know this and go out to eat. :-)

No one knocked on our door and invited us to church but more than likely it was because we started going the moment we moved there. Not everyone in the south is religious. My son was raised in school there (his middle and most formidable years) and you are required to say (in the school systems but it's a good habit to get into, anyway): yes, Ma'am and no, Ma'am (Sir), open the doors for the ladies (if you are a male), and if someone asks you a question and you need them to repeat it, they will respond with "Ma'am?" or "Sir?" It is a wonderful habit to get into for those who weren't raised in this environment. We moved to the West Coast and had to "unlearn" this due to the fact those here are easily offended by being called Ma'am or Sir unless you wear a military uniform.

All in all, don't have your expectations set too high because no matter where you live, people will let you down. But, if I had to pick my favorite place to live (I've lived all over the U.S. with the exception of the Northeast), it would be Tennessee. Good luck and enjoy!

Old 11-24-2012, 06:30 PM

188 posts, read 839,891 times
Congrats on your upcoming wedding... I am a transplant from Ohio ( been here since 1981)...It was different when I first moved here....I would hear things like "paper poke " ( paper bag)..pone of bread ( pan of cornbread)..some of the older people around here still use those terms!! I remember when I first went to a country store with a friend of mine and he ask for an orange dope!! Boy, was I shocked!! LOL!! I have always ask my guest ( who visit my home) if they would like some coke to drink..(we drink Pepsi.). you will very seldom hear " Would you like some pop?" I have gotten used to saying ya'll.. and have started repeating the wives tales that my mother in law likes to tell ( bless her heart)--- "smoke going to the ground..it's gonna snow" Cows are huddled in the field..it's gonna storm" And many many more.. ..Or one of my favorites that my mom use to say" Daaaay Loooord what did you do??" Guess it just depends on what area you move to..we live in east Tn in a small town... bigger towns may not be like this...again congrats on your wedding..ya'll be fine!!

Old 11-26-2012, 09:01 PM

231 posts, read 468,363 times
Default Questions about Tennesseans

I grew up in Central Alabama, left in 1958. It's not like when and where I grew up, but it's still friendly. I live in Giles County, Tn.--very rural. People still wave when you meet them on the road. They are friendly and certainly are not going to purposely insult anyone. Some newcomers call the locals clannish and I understand how they could get that impression,but I don't think it's intentional. This area is rural, everyone knows everyone else and have all of their lives, Family Trees are often complex.This results in a closeness that newcomers are often not accustomed to. These are mostly good people. I've run across guys who look and dress like Hells Angels who were friendly, helpful and surprisingly intelligent. One of these guys dresses particularly bad and looks as rough as it gets--great guy.
Everyone calls him "Fathead" which is the same that he will tell you if you ask him what his name is.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:27 AM

24,889 posts, read 20,317,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelestis_ View Post
Hey ya'll

I'm getting married in February and my future husband and I are planning on moving to Tennessee. I have had an obsession with Tennessee since I was a little girl and I am very excited about finally getting the opportunity to move there. My fiance and I both live in New York City. He used to live in a small farming town in Europe and moved to NY when he was in his late-teens. I have always lived in New York, but I have spent a lot of time in Europe in a small mountain village, so we are both excited to be moving somewhere like Tennessee. We both feel very out of place up here in the North because of the kind of people we are.. we are very friendly and hospitable folks

Anyway, we have visited TN and loved every bit of it. I did however notice that there are a lot of Northern transplants living there. My question is, has that affected the Tennessean lifestyle at all? Are people still kindhearted, well-spoken, and respectful? It's very important for me to be around kind people, I am tired of all the typical impolite and impertinent people that I currently have to deal with on a daily basis. Also, do Northern transplants usually take on Southern ways after a while or not? Do people still use the phase "have a blessed day" and ring your doorbell to invite you to church?

If this matters at all, I am interested in moving to either the Nashville area (Mount Juliet or Franklin) or Knoxville (Knoxville itself or Maryville). We also are in our mid-twenties (don't know if that matters or not). I would also like some opinions on these areas, are they well enough for folks like us?

Thank you very much in advance.
I've lived in Michigan for 4 years, Florida for 3 years, and all over in the military before that. I'm a Tennessee native. I have moved back here. But not everywhere in the state is what you are stating above. And honestly, when it gets down to day to day living, its not that different here then any other area. Nashville isn't unlike Detroit for most intents and purposes. Clarksville isn't unlike Kalamazoo, for all intents and purposes. The small town I lived in, while in Florida wasn't unlike my hometown of 12,000 people.

Now, New York City is its own entity. Things are very different in 90% of the country from what you have there.

There aren't that many northern transplants. I live in a military town, and there are many people here from New York state and even NYC that live here permanently now. No, I don't have a problem with them, I don't notice a change in the attitude.

But just know, the more I travel, the more places I see, the more I realize, people are really more alike anywhere in the world then you'd think.

Well spoken? "m r 2 ducs, c em' wangs" Isn't exactly well spoken.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:57 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,926,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard View Post
I moved here just short of 3 years ago and love it. People are very friendly. Yes it is the Bible belt and several churches ring doorbells. Say hi, won't hurt you and is an example of being friendly. I would avoid West TN and look at Middle or East TN. I chose near Knoxville and think you would like it. One friend said the area near the Smokies reminder her of the forest areas of Scotland, only nicer.

Without a doubt the Smoky mountains are one of the gems of this entire nation. They are not the tallest, but so peacefull and beautiful. If you choose east Tn you can get out of work and drive up to the mountains in minutes. How many places in America offer that???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee