U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 10:00 PM

701 posts, read 1,710,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelestis_ View Post
and ring your doorbell to invite you to church?
I sure hope not.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:47 PM

33,954 posts, read 32,416,664 times
How to tell the difference between a male native of Tennessee and a male transplant or visitor:

Native Tennessee men hold the door open for you before they go through it. Transplant men go through the door first and then might hold the door or they might not be bothered.

Note: This could be a Southern thing as opposed to a Tennessee thing but my observations are in Tennessee. If you take this nicety for granted, Tennessee women, just go up north for two weeks and you'll appreciate your Tennessee men (and their mothers more for teaching them manners). The scruffiest looking guy in Tennessee has more manners than the clowns in the suits up north.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:28 PM

7 posts, read 5,257 times
My husband is a northerner and most definitely holds the door. I am from the north ....I can open a door on my own. I can open a door for my husband, just to change things up.
You are the prime example of southern blinders. Northerners are more open minded. Bless your little heart.....

Old 12-03-2012, 05:43 PM

701 posts, read 1,710,762 times
I have lived equal parts of my life on the West Coast, as I have in the South. Sometimes I'll hold the door, other times I'll go through and hold it behind me. Usually I'm just not thinking about it, and whatever happens happens.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:49 PM

39,195 posts, read 37,806,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxergirl1 View Post
My husband is a northerner and most definitely holds the door. I am from the north ....I can open a door on my own. I can open a door for my husband, just to change things up.
You are the prime example of southern blinders. Northerners are more open minded. Bless your little heart.....
Did you create an account here just to bring this?

Old 12-05-2012, 05:38 PM

192 posts, read 287,912 times
Quote:
Some women like to be treated as one. Enough said.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:09 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,779,641 times
I'm very amused by this thread. I've lived in Memphis my entire life and very little of the country schtick is familiar. I think it's more an urban/rural thing than a North/South thing. The biggest difference is probably in the suburbs. Southern suburbanites are often just a couple of generations off the farm.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:10 PM

8,179 posts, read 14,276,689 times
We moved from NYC just 2 months ago - and we are loving it. Mind you, we're much further west than Knoxville or Nashville and town is quite a ride from the house. In fact, our trip back north for Thanksgiving reminded us why we chose to move here - and I was not thrilled driving through Nashville or Knoxville. Good grief, those people drive like NYers! I'm happy here in farm country - discovering new kinds of spiders nearly every week, avoiding the dillos in the street, and loving watching the deer frolicking in the fields. We're finally adjusting to the pace - had a contract for the deck to be completed by October 1 - and it's mostly done - I think the crew just likes coming here. Only person who's asked us about church was just this week - the guy who installed our propane tank and he wasn't pushy about it at all.

So far, everyone I've encountered has been friendly, welcoming, and overlooking that I'm forgetting to call folks ma'am or sir but using a first name. I'm trying. Maybe my "bad manners" are overlooked because I'm old. No one here rings the doorbell, they beep the horn in the drive. I just found out why - it's because of dogs and guns.

Good luck with your move.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:55 AM

2,063 posts, read 6,250,290 times
Quote:
You are obviously very young and not very well traveled if you attribute the universally recognized polite behavior of a gentleman opening the door for a lady to having blinders on. You also are laughably off base because Laura is not from the south. Many of us long time "northeners" have moved down here and rediscovered how pleasant life can be without people like you walking all over our toes and elbowing others out of their way on a daily basis. Rude and arrogant behavior is not being open minded rather just a case of ignorance loudly proclaiming itself as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Did you create an account here just to bring this?

Sadly, she probably did so she could feel all superior for the day.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:49 AM

6,954 posts, read 2,038,286 times
Hope you all enjoy it here. It's very beautiful. I'm a recent transplant, and I do find that plenty people are friendly, though not everyone. Depending on where you live, don't expect politeness on the road and do expect poorer driving skills. LOL. There is, however, a simplicity here that is very nice, very special. Not sure how to explain it, but I sure do appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee